Texans resign CB Bradley Robey to 3 year, 36M deal

.Buzz

$12m per. Not a groundbreaking deal, but a bit of a premium paid ($2mm over last years' deal).

Roby answers an immediate need at CB. He's a solid CB and Roby/Conley is a nice pairing - bring back VHIII and you've got a solid secondary.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

$12m per. Not a groundbreaking deal, but a bit of a premium paid ($2mm over last years' deal).

Roby answers an immediate need at CB. He's a solid CB and Roby/Conley is a nice pairing - bring back VHIII and you've got a solid secondary.

im still high on lonnie johnson. Rather see his development than bring back VHIII.  Like I said in the NFL News board, hopefully we upgrade the pass rush because that would really help our secondary. 

10 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

im still high on lonnie johnson. Rather see his development than bring back VHIII.  Like I said in the NFL News board, hopefully we upgrade the pass rush because that would really help our secondary. 

I think Johnson is better suited as a #3 S/TE stopper. Sure, Travis Kelce obliterated him in the playoffs, but that's expected against Mahomes and Kelce.

I'd prefer Gipson and Johnson in a rotation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Roby/Conley/Johnson/Gaines

i mean, it’s no different than last year. We still lack a number 1 CB that can lock down someone. With 12 million to Roby, I suspect we are finished adding to secondary, at least in any significant way. 

I agree, unless we bring in CHJ and play a ton of nickel (Harris plays a ton of slot CB). But, I doubt the money is there for such a signing. 

I wonder if the team is going to franchise tag DJ Reader, with the tag deadline extended to today at 11am... If so, then edge rusher is our priority. If not, interior DL/nose. Whatever the move is, this doesn't seem promising:

So, I guess Reader is going to be upset with a tag, if a tag is given.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I agree, unless we bring in CHJ and play a ton of nickel (Harris plays a ton of slot CB). But, I doubt the money is there for such a signing. 

I wonder if the team is going to franchise tag DJ Reader, with the tag deadline extended to today at 11am... If so, then edge rusher is our priority. If not, interior DL/nose. Whatever the move is, this doesn't seem promising:

Might turn into a TnT (Tag & trade + explosive) situation

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Reader has made 2 million. A franchise tag is worth 16. He won’t be too upset to get set for life in 1 season. 

15 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Reader has made 2 million. A franchise tag is worth 16. He won’t be too upset to get set for life in 1 season. 

He doesn't sound too happy right now...

Sure, Reader will make $16mm - but it's all game checks paid out over the season. A long term deal comes with a signing bonus, which usually means a nice bonus check (or, ACH deposit) made immediately after you sign it - so you could do some serious shopping or buy your family has a house immediately afterwards. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's the economic concept known as the Time Value of Money - cash in hand now is worth more than cash in hand later. Reader will get his cash on the tag, sure. But that's over a 16 week period, with no money paid immediately. A deal gets him paid right now - not the full $16mm, but very close to that.

I'd be smh too.

• 3 weeks later...

So this deal looks a lot better. It’s really a 2 year 26 million deal, he can be cut before year 3 and save 10 million. It’s actually a 3 year 31 million deal as 5 million is tied up in bonuses. 

basically he’s either a great CB worthy of an extension or he’s here 2 years and then gone. 

• Like 2