Ravens trade 5th round pick for DE Calais Campbell

ravens5520

35 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Incredible value, another EDC clinic. 

Props to @diamondbull424 as well, he's been talking Campbell up as a trade target for a while now.

Now let's see can really make us lose our minds and follow through on DB's Clowney and Jeudy mancrushes... 

Would take great finesse and cap handling from EDC, but it’s “possible”... Clowney would have to agree to “market value” vs setting the market.

As it stands, I would predict we work out a deal with Campbell at roughly 3 yrs/$30m with a $10m signing bonus. Campbell gets paid his same $15m this season he was expected to make. While we get his cap figure down to roughly $8.3m... which should leave us with roughly $9m left considering the Judon franchise tag.

We could then, depending on the CBA, expect a jump in cap to accommodate the increased figures from both defensive performers. Clowney likely goes for roughly 5 yrs/$105m-ish. So with a $65m figure in guaranteed cash, we could pay him a salary of $5m for 2020 and his cap figure would “ONLY” be at $18m which would still leave us with roughly $7m in cap space, which should be enough to sign our draft class (barely), especially if Jeudy falls out of the top 10 picks (to that 11-15 range) as anticipated. Though in this scenario I would predict we would need to create additional cap space in the event that players hit their incentives on the season.

So ultimately, with this move, I would probably not target Clowney any longer. We could make it happen, but it would likely put us in quite an interesting cap dilemma in the future. And with Humphrey and Stanley on the docket, it might be best to go in another direction.

• Like 3

We haven't really had a player of Campbell's skillset on the defensive line since probably Trevor Pryce. Ngata was obviously a special player for us but even at he wasn't really the kind of pass rusher that Campbell could prove to be if he stays healthy/doesn't decline in the coming year. Guys like that can really transform defenses, I can't wait to see what this guy can do for us. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ravens5520 said:

Almost spot on

2-27 and 20 mill guaranteed 

Was hoping we could’ve gotten him for a bit less considering his age, but I suppose paying for talent can’t be helped.

We still need to invest in a IDL in the draft, with Pryce he could help guide Ngata, we made a mistake by not having a replacement for Ngata in the bag before moving on.

What news to wake up to!

I fear and love this time of the year, for football. You can get news of an arrest, ACL, etc. Or you can find out that your team traded for Calais Campbell.

He's just such a perfect fit. Can play 5T. He's an elite run defender from EDGE, resign McPhee and we've essentially shut down outside runs. Obviously he can rush from the interior as well. Perfect personality match for the team. An amazing player off the field. This is just great.

• Like 2

Awesome move. Hopefully we wrap up Jihad Ward's contract soon as well. I'd be pretty happy with DL consisting of Williams, Campbell, Wormley, Ward, Mack (assuming he is developing), and a draft pick. 

Then we just gotta work on ILB, and our defensive holes are more or less filled. Unless we trade Judon.