How to stock the draft cupboard?

Rockice_8

So with the excellent trade of Richardson to SEA for their 2nd and Kearse that helps add a premium pick to the 2018 draft class.  I started thinking about other guys who could do the same that are not long term pieces.  

I was thinking with teams like CIN/NYG and their high aspirations would a 3rd or 4th entice Mac to deal Beachum?  It appears he is over his ACL injury from 2 years ago and has played really well early this year.  Would anyone offer up a 3rd or 4th for him?  I mean if I'm CIN, NYG, SEA and have superbowl on my mind I'd look for an upgrade sooner rather than later and Beachum at 28 makes a ton of sense for those teams.

Other names who could be moved?

Kearse (6th), Powell (5th/6th), Forte (anything), Carpenter? (2nd/3rd), McClendon (6th), Skrine (6th), Claiborne (4th/5th).

Any chance we add more draft capital before the deadline? 

Beachum and Carpenter are the best moveable pieces as both are 28 in their primes and playing at a high level.  Both are also important to our line who have been playing together and if we bring in a young QB in 2018 having a stable line is important.  With multiple high picks though and a ton of cap (Nate Solder) we can upgrade the line as needed again.  Both guys will be 29 at the start of next season and when we are ready to compete again 2-3 more years both will be 31-32 and will be on the slow decline.  

I've wanted to get Dennard from Cincy ever since we started talking about trading Sheldon.  With Jones, Dre, WJIII, Shaw, Benwikere all over there in Cincy and Dennard going into next year with a 8.5M dollar cap hit would they swap him for one of Beachum/Carpenter?  Would be a win win in my eyes for both teams as we need a future boundary CB who could be here for the next 4-5 years.  Hell I'd give them both Beachum and Carpenter for Dennard and a 3rd.  They go from a weak line to very good overnight.  They move their young LT over to the right and immediately boost that offense in a big way and get back to running the ball.

Any other ideas throw them out there.  I think we should be looking to add more youth and/or picks.  This is the place to spit ball trade ideas.

Personally I would like to keep Kearse, like him a lot and he could still be apart of this team for the near future. I'm all for selling especially guys like Forte, Carp, Beachum, and Claiborne. Only way I trade Powell is if we get a really solid offer for him.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Personally I would like to keep Kearse, like him a lot and he could still be apart of this team for the near future. I'm all for selling especially guys like Forte, Carp, Beachum, and Claiborne. Only way I trade Powell is if we get a really solid offer for him.

Why we dont even use him and hes almost 30. Move him now. For anything. Try and move Mo too or cut his lazy @s$ after the year. And if we do stock the cupboard we should be trading up with all these 5s 6s and 7s instead of trading 3s and 4s for 7s. Someone show Mac the value chart lol.

I agree with the trade up.  If we can load up on picks it'll be easier to move two 5's for a 4th and really add some talent.

Really no point keeping Powell since like you said we never use him.   

Beachum and Carp have the best value and two teams with playoff chances need linemen.  Hopefully we can turn one or both of them into more picks.

49 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Why we dont even use him and hes almost 30. Move him now. For anything. Try and move Mo too or cut his lazy @s$ after the year. And if we do stock the cupboard we should be trading up with all these 5s 6s and 7s instead of trading 3s and 4s for 7s. Someone show Mac the value chart lol.

We're gonna cut Mo after the season, no ones taking on the rest of his Contract. Kearse is Turing or Turned 28 this season but he's still very reliable and you still need vets on the team and he's a guy that I can feel comfortable with as the 2/3/4 on this team

edit: don't know if you were referring to Kearse or Powell, I'm cool with moving Powell for a 4th maybe a 5th

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

So with the excellent trade of Richardson to SEA for their 2nd and Kearse that helps add a premium pick to the 2018 draft class.  I started thinking about other guys who could do the same that are not long term pieces.  

I was thinking with teams like CIN/NYG and their high aspirations would a 3rd or 4th entice Mac to deal Beachum?  It appears he is over his ACL injury from 2 years ago and has played really well early this year.  Would anyone offer up a 3rd or 4th for him?  I mean if I'm CIN, NYG, SEA and have superbowl on my mind I'd look for an upgrade sooner rather than later and Beachum at 28 makes a ton of sense for those teams.

Other names who could be moved?

Kearse (6th), Powell (5th/6th), Forte (anything), Carpenter? (2nd/3rd), McClendon (6th), Skrine (6th), Claiborne (4th/5th).

Any chance we add more draft capital before the deadline? 

Beachum and Carpenter are the best moveable pieces as both are 28 in their primes and playing at a high level.  Both are also important to our line who have been playing together and if we bring in a young QB in 2018 having a stable line is important.  With multiple high picks though and a ton of cap (Nate Solder) we can upgrade the line as needed again.  Both guys will be 29 at the start of next season and when we are ready to compete again 2-3 more years both will be 31-32 and will be on the slow decline.  

I've wanted to get Dennard from Cincy ever since we started talking about trading Sheldon.  With Jones, Dre, WJIII, Shaw, Benwikere all over there in Cincy and Dennard going into next year with a 8.5M dollar cap hit would they swap him for one of Beachum/Carpenter?  Would be a win win in my eyes for both teams as we need a future boundary CB who could be here for the next 4-5 years.  Hell I'd give them both Beachum and Carpenter for Dennard and a 3rd.  They go from a weak line to very good overnight.  They move their young LT over to the right and immediately boost that offense in a big way and get back to running the ball.

Any other ideas throw them out there.  I think we should be looking to add more youth and/or picks.  This is the place to spit ball trade ideas.

You have to be nuts to want to trade Carpenter, what is wrong with you. You want to trade all these players, with Mac'S drafting history good luck, His drafting as Jets GM has been flat out horrible. That is why we are a lousy team after three years of Mac;s drafting. 

I can see Beachum being traded, but not until after the draft. We'll probably draft a LTin the 2nd round and as soon as they prove they can be the starter, then we can ship Beachum out. I'd like the picks, but I would rather not create any potential wholes on the oline for our next QB. I would like to wait for us to find the replacement first, then do it. Someone with a Franchise QB and injured left tackle will take him.

I'd keep Kearse. Every team need vets. WR's can help young QBs and Other Wrs learn the game.

17 hours ago, doumeyer said:

You have to be nuts to want to trade Carpenter, what is wrong with you. You want to trade all these players, with Mac'S drafting history good luck, His drafting as Jets GM has been flat out horrible. That is why we are a lousy team after three years of Mac;s drafting. 

Not every Mac pick has been bad and we are not lousy because of Mac's drafts only.  The years of Idzik didn't help anything either.

I'm not going to keep a guy who is nearly 30 if we can get a premium pick top 3 rounds just because there is a chance we might not draft a good player.

Lets not compound mistakes with more mistakes.  We are rebuilding so embrace it and hope for the best.  Who knows, Mac might not even be the one making the pick.

8 minutes ago, Malik said:

Trading to get a bunch of 5th rounders in an attempt to build a team around 5th rounders seems like a bad idea for a team that doesn't even get it's 1st and 2nd rounders right.

So true. Good players can be found anywhere in the draft or among UDFAs but your best bet for a solid starter should be in rounds 1-3

You acquire mid round picks to use them as ammunition to trade up. Hasn't happened for us in a while but next year would be a decent time to start. I think we we stockpiled and drafted a ton of 6s and 7s again in 2018 that we'd all want to kill the GM. 

This should still be our goal though. Strip the roster as much as you can, draft well, and use some of that 90 million in projected cap space at positions that make the most sense to overpay. Imagine if we payed a true pass rushing machine the salary we give Mo to be a non factor...our defense would actually be middle of the pack and not pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

I mean we need some actual quality starters before we can think about number 2 and 3 guys.

I'll take what ever we get tbh Jordan Howard was a 4th or 5th last year and Tyreke Hill was a 5th you can always find diamonds in the rough and I don't think we should look at it as just getting a 4/5 but getting another asset

Archived