My idea for an 8-team CFP bracket.

pf9

There have been numerous proposals to expand the College Football Playoff to 8 teams.

I have one that is probably the most creative.

My proposal takes the 4 best teams from outside the South, and seeds them in the "Blue" bracket.

The four best teams in the South would be seeded in the "Gray" bracket.

All regional semifinal games would be held on campus if the stadium meets capacity requirements, or if not, the closest stadium that does.

Each of the NY6 bowls would take turns being the "Blue" final and the "Gray" final

Under my proposed format, the Blue semifinals would have been Penn State at Ohio State, and Wisconsin VS. Oregon at CenturyLink Field. The Gray semifinals would be Georgia at LSU (their second consecutive meeting in 2019) and Oklahoma at Clemson.

This format not only guarantees a non-Southern team in the CFP title game, it also ends the possibility of an atrocity like the 2017 season, in which all the CFP participants came from the South. It doesn't guarantee the top 8 teams would be in (for instance #7 Baylor would have been excluded in favor of #10 Penn State due to the limit of four Southern teams in the playoff) but it would be an interesting idea to implement beginning in 2026.

I think your proposal is overcomplicated, and I don't think very many people care who is in the playoff from what region.....unless of course, you are a fan from that region and your team got snubbed.  

It should expand to eight teams, but here is how I would do it.  

All Power 5 champions are in.  You win your conference, and you should be in regardless.  

One representative from the Group of Five champions, like it is currently for the Ny6 games.  Win your conference, and you have a mathematical 20% chance at being put into the dance.  

Two Wild Card selections.  

In all instances, it behooves teams to schedule better matchups out of conference, which means better games for most of us.  Sure, the big blue blood schools probably still schedule one cupcake game where it's almost like pre-season, but overall, this would encourage teams to up the ante with their OOC games.  If you win the P5 conference, you are in, and it doesn't matter about your OOC games.  The G5 and wild-card selections are then discussed out, and it benefits everyone to schedule better opponents OOC because they are going to be your resume building games to get those selections.  

Once the eight teams are decided, the committee can then seed them 1-8, where again, the OOC schedule can come into play, where quality matchups/opponents could dictate matchup advantages.  

• Like 3

So the SEC, Big 12, and good ACC team (Clemson) all fight for 4 playoff spots and the Big 10 is pretty much guaranteed 3 every year plus 1 for the PAC 12?  As a fan of a B1G team, that sounds great. For determining an actual football playoff? Not the best.

• Like 1

Notre Dame could also be in the Blue bracket.

And also, not all ACC, Big 12 and SEC teams would be eligible for the Gray bracket. From the ACC, Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse would go to the Blue bracket if they qualified for the playoff. Same for Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State of the Big 12 and Missouri of the SEC.

Conversely, Maryland of the Big Ten would go in the Gray bracket if they qualified for the playoff.

The main idea about this is to attempt to curb Southern dominance of top level CFB, which has been the norm during the two-poll era. Lower levels of CFB often see non-Southern teams win national championships. I want this for FBS too.

4 hours ago, pf9 said:

Notre Dame could also be in the Blue bracket.

And also, not all ACC, Big 12 and SEC teams would be eligible for the Gray bracket. From the ACC, Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse would go to the Blue bracket if they qualified for the playoff. Same for Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State of the Big 12 and Missouri of the SEC.

Conversely, Maryland of the Big Ten would go in the Gray bracket if they qualified for the playoff.

None of those ACC, Big 12, or SEC teams you just listed are ever making the playoffs unless they start making it the top 64.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, winitall said:

None of those ACC, Big 12, or SEC teams you just listed are ever making the playoffs unless they start making it the top 64.

Never say never. Though Syracuse really disappointed me last year after the year they had before. I had such high hopes for them. Now I am criticizing them for keeping Dino Babers on despite the regression and not going for Skip Holtz who has never lost a bowl game with Louisiana Tech, including beating another ACC team, Miami, in the Independence Bowl.

For perspective, outside of 2017, each playoff has had 1 "token" Northern (Northeast/Midwest) team, and 2014 and 2016 had a Western team too. The South has been the only region which has placed multiple teams in the Playoff in a given year. By limiting how many Southern teams can be in the playoff, both the South and the rest of the nation would have an equal chance on paper of seeing one of their teams win the CFP.

ok just a few quick things

there are 10 states that make up what most people consider the northeast, why should they be rewarded for having one single decent football program between all of them, which hasn't won a national championship in 8 presidential elections

every team has an equal chance to make the cfp, i like to call it august

it is not the sec's and clemson's collective faults that brian kelly, clay helton, jim harbaugh, and tom herman have jobs at their respective schools. if your coach is bad and that makes your program bad, your program is just bad now, that's how it is. you don't get a geographical bailout because the best players in the country want to play for the 4 programs that have been the best during their lifespan

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:15 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

I think your proposal is overcomplicated, and I don't think very many people care who is in the playoff from what region.....unless of course, you are a fan from that region and your team got snubbed.  

It should expand to eight teams, but here is how I would do it.  

All Power 5 champions are in.  You win your conference, and you should be in regardless.  

One representative from the Group of Five champions, like it is currently for the Ny6 games.  Win your conference, and you have a mathematical 20% chance at being put into the dance.  

Two Wild Card selections.  

In all instances, it behooves teams to schedule better matchups out of conference, which means better games for most of us.  Sure, the big blue blood schools probably still schedule one cupcake game where it's almost like pre-season, but overall, this would encourage teams to up the ante with their OOC games.  If you win the P5 conference, you are in, and it doesn't matter about your OOC games.  The G5 and wild-card selections are then discussed out, and it benefits everyone to schedule better opponents OOC because they are going to be your resume building games to get those selections.  

Once the eight teams are decided, the committee can then seed them 1-8, where again, the OOC schedule can come into play, where quality matchups/opponents could dictate matchup advantages.  

This is the same kind of thing I want.  Also, the quarterfinals should open up Bowl season every year and all be on one day.  Noon, 3:30, 7:00, and 10:30pm (west coast host).  Then 2 weeks later is the semi-finals with bowl games in between, then after those you have the new years bowls, and then the Final as the last game of the year.  Imagine a pre-Christmas Saturday with 4 marquee games back to back to back to back. It would be glorious.

• Like 2