Falcons plan to release CB Trufant

whodatOL

Needless to say im not happy about this one bit.  the rest of our CB's where they are talented are also quite young.  To me Trufant is a very good player and just had one of his better seasons this last year.  He doesn't offer us enough cap space this offseason to warrant a cut compared to his play on the field.  All it does is create us another position of need which we have to many already.  It would have been much wiser to keep him for this upcoming season and then cut him next year where we would have gained quite a bit more in cap space and given our young CB's another year to learn and gain experience. 

Edited by FalconFan13

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

Needless to say im not happy about this one bit.  the rest of our CB's where they are talented are also quite young.  To me Trufant is a very good player and just had one of his better seasons this last year.  He doesn't offer us enough cap space this offseason to warrant a cut compared to his play on the field.  All it does is create us another position of need which we have to me already.  It would have been much wiser to keep him for this upcoming season and then cut him next year where we would have gained quite a bit more in cap space and given our young CB's another year to learn and gain experience. 

this is probably a case of being a year early rather than a year late. trufants is still a good player but his best days are behind him and we absolutely needed the cap space. were going to be very young at corner but with oliver, sheffield, and I assume a day 2 pick we should be pretty good. if we draft a db early and hit on him, we'll have 6 guys who can be counted on... not too shabby.

24 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

this is probably a case of being a year early rather than a year late. trufants is still a good player but his best days are behind him and we absolutely needed the cap space. were going to be very young at corner but with oliver, sheffield, and I assume a day 2 pick we should be pretty good. if we draft a db early and hit on him, we'll have 6 guys who can be counted on... not too shabby.

Which i understand and usually don't hate doing on the day to early thing but he's not super old and for 1 more year i think he had more than enough in him to keep us from having to use another draft pick early.  If im no mistaken isn't it like 10 mil in dead cap as well how much do we end up getting overall in cap space from this like 4 or 5 million?

I really hate this move because I do not trust the young corners we have on the roster. I've seen nothing from them that would indicate that they would make the step into being anything more than replacement level dudes. I'm mentally prepared for the Falcons have a complete disaster of a defense in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I really hate this move because I do not trust the young corners we have on the roster. I've seen nothing from them that would indicate that they would make the step into being anything more than replacement level dudes. I'm mentally prepared for the Falcons have a complete disaster of a defense in 2020.

Sheffield was fantastic last year as a rookie and Oliver really improved his play as the year progressed. I think they'll be more than solid. 

However unless the Dline is significantly improved none of this will matter. 

13 minutes ago, jarren said:

Sheffield was fantastic last year as a rookie and Oliver really improved his play as the year progressed. I think they'll be more than solid. 

Oliver looked nice in 2018 in limited snaps. He was legitimately one of the worst corners in the NFL until we started playing a bunch of terrible QBs. Sheffield was nice in some limited play, but you seriously trust him to take on the CB2 role? We played a bunch of trash QBs in the 2nd half of the year (Kyle Allenx2, Minshew, etc.) - it didn't help the that the good QBs we played had some truly horrific performances against us that were more aided by Grady Jarrett being a complete animal. I don't think that's replicable.

I don't think the 2nd half improvement was really due to a miraculous change in the x's and o's of the Falcons. I think the team just lacks a lot of talent on defense - and when they did look good it was because the pass rush played far above their station (Grady Jarrett being amazing and other guys picking up the slack, basically). Look at the 1st game against Tampa Bay - the pass rush had been dominant for two straight weeks... and they basically got shut out against Tampa. What happened? The entire defense was getting torched. I don't think that game was an aberration either, I think it was a very clear and serious red flag about how the Falcons defense is constructed. What that game told me was: if the Falcons don't have an elite pass rush, they can't even put up a replacement level defense. Making the secondary worse on paper to me is only going to make that problem even worse.

If you really trust Oliver to be CB1 and Sheffield to be CB2, you've got a lot more faith than I do. I think 2020 will be very difficult for the both of them.

Edited by Hukos

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Malik Jackson for Desmond Trufant. Who says no? 

Malik is a pretty good interior lineman when healthy i think.  But it seems yall get to keep him and can probably get Tru anyways since were probably cutting him without getting anything back.  I don't understand why we can't atleast get something back for him even minor considering he is a decent player still. 

He was really good in 2015. He never really got back to form after that injury in 2016.

Playing corner in the NFL is rough.

No way is anyone trading for him at that salary. He needs a 2019 Darby style deal.

Take a lower 1 year deal and rehab your value with a solid year of health and performance.

Not sure it worked out for Darby, but teams won't be lining up to give Trufant 10 million dollars a year.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

He was really good in 2015. He never really got back to form after that injury in 2016.

Playing corner in the NFL is rough.

No way is anyone trading for him at that salary. He needs a 2019 Darby style deal.

Take a lower 1 year deal and rehab your value with a solid year of health and performance.

Not sure it worked out for Darby, but teams won't be lining up to give Trufant 10 million dollars a year.

Actually last year he was quite good it a was his best year since 2016 and he looked like his old self the majority of the year it's one of the main reasons i wanted to keep him for 1 more year.