Kirksey to GB, 2Y/13M

VonKarman

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Either way I like the signing.  Hopefully we plan on taking another ILB in the draft so we’ve got two legit chances and one long shot (Burke).

I was afraid we’d spend big on a deep good ILB (Littleton, Kwiatkoski) only to get the same thing we had with Martinez.  Or worse, sign Martinez to a long deal.  I feel like a healthy Kirksey is the same as a healthy Martinez.

Ensuring RT and ILB don’t drop off significantly is a perfect way to prepare for free agency.  

Could be part of Gutey's MO. He fixed safety last year with a FA and draft pick. Hopefully he gets ILB fixed up too, but I think he could do more for the position with DL

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Does this signing and the Wagner signing mean the Packers can concentrate on offensive weapons in the first few rounds, or at worst BPA even if it is a position of strength.

To me?

These two signings mean we don't have to be desperate in the draft.  

They filled two holes.

We still could use a young OT.  We still could use a young ILB.  But neither are "pressing" and we won't need to reach because of a hole in the roster.

I feel like GB will load up on weapons early in the draft.  I feel like we will sign a quality IDL in free agency.  And we should look at an OT early.

The signings means we do not need to be desperate on draft day.  And that's about it.  We still need to be smart.

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The signings means we do not need to be desperate on draft day.  We still need to be smart.

Always the case.
Talent evals always need to be sharp.
Fortunately, we support a well run organization. Cap Hell is something that happens to other organizations.

There was talk of a Jones extension and they had better start negotiations with Clark for possibly an end of season extension as well. Not sure there’s a lot left over.  Jones contract could be manageable this season but it will cost against this cap. 

Looks like the last time he graded well was 2016. But that was the last time he had a decent DL. All the other yrs, his DL was trash. Heck, their entire front 7 was trash all those years, except for  Garrett. Should have a lot more talent around him in GB. And hopefully can stay healthy. 

Contract seems reasonable. He’s easily cut-able in Y2 if things don’t work out. Cap hit has lots of protections for health (2020 is basically $4m plus $62.5k for every game he’s active). 2021 is similar with 20% of his cap hit depending on how many games he is active. So basically $10.74/2yr minimum w/o the health incentives. That’s a far cry from the $16m/2 that is in headlines.