Kirksey to GB, 2Y/13M

VonKarman

Love this signing a whole lot. As others have said:

• Low-risk, high-reward type player
  • Fills a need
  • Decent price ($8M is "agent number" — likely includes incentives)
  • Great locker room guy
  • Ensures a 3rd/4th comp pick for Bulaga/Blake

Looks like he'll be able to keep his #58 as well.

• Like 1

Always like him, Iowa kid, right?

Was kind of holding out hope for the "other" free agent inside linebacker from the Browns, but at this price, it is a gamble worth taking.

Certainly frees up the draft a little bit.

My gut feeling is that we are going to love his reports out of camp.  

Gotta hope he stays healthy.  And we still need more at ILB.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

From our friends at PFF @Outpost31 when Kirksey signed his extension with Cleveland.

- Kirksey has elevated his play in each of his first three seasons and in 2016 he graded as tied for the 22nd best off the ball linebacker with an overall grade of 81.5.

• Kirksey has developed into a dominant force defending the run. In 2016 his run-defense grade of 84.9 ranked fourth among linebackers and his 46 run stops ranked first amongst inside linebackers(A stop is a tackle resulting in an offensive failure).

• In 2016, Kirksey was effective as a pass rusher off blitzes. His pass-rush productivity of 16.0 ranked fifth among inside linebackers with at least 40 pass rush snaps. He produced 16 pressures (two sacks, four hits, ten hurries) on 78 pass rush snaps.

Am I looking at this wrong?  I looked him up and it said his grade for this past season was 48.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Am I looking at this wrong?  I looked him up and it said his grade for this past season was 48.

He was extended in 2017. The last two years his PFF grade is irrelevant, he's not played enough. Another thing that annoys me about PFF, if a guy plays 2 games, don't grade him. Should be incomplete for a grade. 50% of a season or more to reach a grade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He was extended in 2017. The last two years his PFF grade is irrelevant, he's not played enough. Another thing that annoys me about PFF, if a guy plays 2 games, don't grade him. Should be incomplete for a grade. 50% of a season or more to reach a grade.

Either way I like the signing.  Hopefully we plan on taking another ILB in the draft so we’ve got two legit chances and one long shot (Burke).

I was afraid we’d spend big on a deep good ILB (Littleton, Kwiatkoski) only to get the same thing we had with Martinez.  Or worse, sign Martinez to a long deal.  I feel like a healthy Kirksey is the same as a healthy Martinez.

Ensuring RT and ILB don’t drop off significantly is a perfect way to prepare for free agency.  

• Like 1