Kirksey to GB, 2Y/13M

VonKarman

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess it depends how you define it.  The 5-1 (or more accurately 3-3) isn't much different than the 4-2. Walk the Safety down into the box and you're going 7 defenders on 6 blockers against the 11 grouping. Fair enough argument to be made that walking the safety down makes it a 3-4, but again,  that's semantics. 

This 3-3/5-1 sets came about to stop the run,  specifically the outside runs where the TE goes across the formation at the snap to reverse the strong side of the field.  

Lord knows against the pass I'd rather have: A pressure group of Smith/Lowry/Clark/Smith and a drop group of Martinez/Burks/5 DBs

than: a pressure group of Lancaster/Clark/Lowry/Smith and a drop group of Smith/ Martinez/5 DBs

Interesting, I'll confess to a lack of knowledge about the impetus behind the creation of different formations/alignments.  I guess to me I would have thought a 5-1 is still pretty susceptible to the run if you don't walk a safety down, because you have such a small safety net behind the line.  Your off-ball guy had better be perfect because if he hits the wrong gap the next defender is ten yards downfield.  However, I do see your point when you need to be able to play either edge equally effectively.

As far as the personnel though, I agree, but I wouldn't have put Lancaster in the pressure package.  I wouldn't want to run a 5-1 pressure package with the personnel currently on roster anymore, it was a better fit with Fackrell in-house since you could play Fackrell/Smith/Clark/Lowry/Smith and still have some good drop options.

5 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Interesting, I'll confess to a lack of knowledge about the impetus behind the creation of different formations/alignments.  I guess to me I would have thought a 5-1 is still pretty susceptible to the run if you don't walk a safety down, because you have such a small safety net behind the line.  Your off-ball guy had better be perfect because if he hits the wrong gap the next defender is ten yards downfield.  However, I do see your point when you need to be able to play either edge equally effectively.

As far as the personnel though, I agree, but I wouldn't have put Lancaster in the pressure package.  I wouldn't want to run a 5-1 pressure package with the personnel currently on roster anymore, it was a better fit with Fackrell in-house since you could play Fackrell/Smith/Clark/Lowry/Smith and still have some good drop options.

No doubt the group is susceptible to the run if you don't walk a safety down, but realistically that's every grouping.  No matter how you slice it when you have 6 defenders to fill 7 run gaps,  you're going to have problems. You need to have one more defender than the offense has blockers, everybody has this figured out, except apparently Pettine when we play the 49ers.

We play a dime pressure package anyway, predominantly a 1-4 (Clark, Martinez,  Smith,  Smith,  Gary/ Fackrell) then drop 6 or 7, (Alexander,  King,  Tramon, Amos, Savage, Sullivan, and pick your favorite of Preston, Martinez,  Fackrell)

Morgan burn

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No doubt the group is susceptible to the run if you don't walk a safety down, but realistically that's every grouping.  No matter how you slice it when you have 6 defenders to fill 7 run gaps,  you're going to have problems. You need to have one more defender than the offense has blockers, everybody has this figured out, except apparently Pettine when we play the 49ers.

We play a dime pressure package anyway, predominantly a 1-4 (Clark, Martinez,  Smith,  Smith,  Gary/ Fackrell) then drop 6 or 7, (Alexander,  King,  Tramon, Amos, Savage, Sullivan, and pick your favorite of Preston, Martinez,  Fackrell)

Morgan Burnett?

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Just saw that Pettine plays dime 52% of the time - highest in the league

I honestly find that shocking considering how much he really didn't use the pressure package or even blitz on 2nd and long and 3rd and medium. We must have played a **** ton of coverage out of that dime look. 

Also if you're looking for an answer to blame the run defense on and you're mature enough to not knee-jerk blame Martinez, there's your answer to the problem. 

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I honestly find that shocking considering how much he really didn't use the pressure package or even blitz on 2nd and long and 3rd and medium. We must have played a **** ton of coverage out of that dime look. 

Also if you're looking for an answer to blame the run defense on and you're mature enough to not knee-jerk blame Martinez, there's your answer to the problem. 

Base - 19%

Nickel - 28%

Dime - 52%

Remains to be seen if it's a coaching preference or a talent issue, but I am certainly getting tired of our defense always a player or two or three from not giving up record setting numbers

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What else do you do when you have 1 LB on the roster?

Joe Schobert         26 years old      5 year      $53.75m contract      $22.5m guaranteed
Corey Littleton      26 years old      3 year      $36m contract         unknown but probably at least $20m
Blake Martinez       26 years old      3 year      $30.75m contract      $19m guaranteed
Danny Trevathan      30 years old      3 year      $21.75m contract      $10m guaranteed
Nick Kwiatkoski      26 years old      3 year      $21m contract         $10m guaranteed
Christian Kirksey    28 years old      2 year      $13m contract         $4m guaranteed

Just looking at the other LB contracts its very clear that the Packers did not want to invest too much money into the position. It makes sense as we have to worry about next year when we need to pay the likes of Clark, Linsley, Bakhtiari, King and A.Jones.

It does look like we are cheapening out on an injury prone linebacker but pair him up with early round draft pick and it will look a little bit better. I wouldn't mind us taking a  long look at Haason Reddick, I really liked him coming out of the draft and he's quite athletic too. He also has experience in the 3-4.

I'm not interested in bringing back Goodson. Pure JAG.

• Like 1