Steelers place franchise tag on LB Bud Dupree

RaidersAreOne

29 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’d prefer a long term deal to lower his cap # this year...I know there are some valid long term concerns but I’m just looking more in a 2 year or so window.

I'm sure he would be reluctant to sign a 2 year deal after the season he just had. 

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

I'm sure he would be reluctant to sign a 2 year deal after the season he just had. 

I worded that badly...I mean they can risk a long term deal cause they seem to be in a window of going for a SB with Big Ben...after he’s gone they can embrace the suck.

steelers-bank.jpg

A new CBA was passed by the NFL players by a very close margin in their recently concluded vote and that’s a big deal if you’re a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. One of the biggest gains for the Steelers as a result of there now being a new CBA in place is that the 30 percent rule that was previously in place for the 2020 NFL league year will now go away. That rule going away will allow the Steelers to instantly free up more 2020 salary cap space via traditional contract restructures than they could have before the new CBA was passed.

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’d prefer a long term deal to lower his cap # this year...I know there are some valid long term concerns but I’m just looking more in a 2 year or so window.

Its really not that I want Bud Dupree signed long term, but I do partially agree. For the right price, I think there is a smart move to be made in getting another 2-3 years of Bud Dupree on roster. My preferred is still Bud on the tag and move on with more resources next year, but I don't mind paying for NFL average/slightly above average for continuity, provided you can afford it (its not my money, I really dont care how they spend it). 

I have no clue what Bud and his representation would say, but $10M to $13M sounds about right to me. That's Kerrigan, Fowler, Houston, Mercilus, Preston Smith territory. I think thats a comparison you take to Bud and say, you are not these guys, but that's about your market. 

I could be wrong, but Whitney Mercilus feels like a fair comp. He is at $13.5 per year. 

Bud's play is probably worth $8M to $10M, but there is a price I am willing to pay to cross OLB off the NEED list for a few years and use those top resources elsewhere. Somewhere between $3M and $5M seems fair to me (again, not my money). 

I don't care (that much) about his sack numbers per se, as long as he keeps making big impact plays  (sacks at right moment, strip sacks, etc)

He played very clutch last season, and if he maintains, let alone improves, he will be worth it.  Bush with a full year under his belt, plus Fitzpatrick fully immersed in this system, plus tuitt back....  the D should easily lead the league in sack+turnovers   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

I don't care (that much) about his sack numbers per se, as long as he keeps making big impact plays  (sacks at right moment, strip sacks, etc)

He played very clutch last season, and if he maintains, let alone improves, he will be worth it.  Bush with a full year under his belt, plus Fitzpatrick fully immersed in this system, plus tuitt back....  the D should easily lead the league in sack+turnovers   

Turnovers are fickle. I agree with you about sacks, though.

16 hours ago, mwalker said:

I know this was inevitable, but I don't love it. 

I agree, but Ill take this over a 5 year deal.  I dont trust him...I just don't.

And looking at our FA and cap situation going into 2021, I think we need to make other plans long term. Even with Ben likely coming off the books soon, we cant afford to give out undeserved contracts.