Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Certainly more resources have gone to the offense as of late. 

Two FA DTs. Three FA CBs. FA Safety. Hughes, Dantzler, Gladney. A lot of resources went to the D too. 

Not to mention the fact we absolutely had to allocate resources to the O-Line. It's been putrid. 

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Certainly more resources have gone to the offense as of late. 

Have they? In the last 4 years they’ve drafted equal amounts of offensive players as defensive players, and they spent a lot more free agent money on defense than offense. 

Just now, wcblack34 said:

Two FA DTs. Three FA CBs. FA Safety. Hughes, Dantzler, Gladney. A lot of resources went to the D too. 

Not to mention the fact we absolutely had to allocate resources to the O-Line. It's been putrid. 

Agreed. Point being is if your a supposed defensive guru, maybe the resources don’t need to be defensive heavy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Have they? In the last 4 years they’ve drafted equal amounts of offensive players as defensive players, and they spent a lot more free agent money on defense than offense. 

Early picks have favored the offense. While FA has brought more defensive players, it’s the Cousins contract that they are far more tied to.

There seems to be a lot of interest from coaching candidates because of Cousins and the roster. There hasn't been any indication that Cousins has been viewed negatively by any candidate. I think that's a very fair assessment too. If the Vikings Defense had held leads in the last two minutes of each half, they'd be playing this weekend. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

There seems to be a lot of interest from coaching candidates because of Cousins and the roster. There hasn't been any indication that Cousins has been viewed negatively by any candidate. I think that's a very fair assessment too. If the Vikings Defense had held leads in the last two minutes of each half, they'd be playing this weekend. 

Why would HC candidates make negative remarks about ANY players on teams that will be interviewing them?

Be clear that I am not saying I think one, some, or many candidates think poorly of Cousins.  I just don't know that we can conclude anything in that regard.  But, the odds are that HC candidates worthy of consideration would realize Kirk produced good results, in general, and that the largest problems with the Vikings lie elsewhere.

HC candidates would be best prepared to interview if they prepare a plan that uses Cousins, Cook, JJ, ... and assumes the GM to be hired will deal with problematic contracts, cap space problems, (re)signing free agents, ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Not difficult (weird) to reconcile at all.  

Tarkenton was the Vikings franchise 1st QB.  His first 120 games included his first 36 NY Giant games. 

As an expansion team in 1961, the Vikings were in a less favorable situation than other, later NFL expansion teams.  So, Tarkenton's W-L record over 120 games was disadvantaged by the circumstances.  Also consider that Tarkenton's first 120 games included NONE coached by Bud Grant and 84 coached by Norm Van Brocklin, the latter not seeing eye-to-eye with him about scrambling out of the pocket.

Likewise, Cousins W-L record was disadvantaged by being on a team that didn't consider him to be anything more than a backup to RGIII for a few years. 

• Like 1

So why am I so torn about wanting to trade Kirk Cousins?

He's a good QB who can definitely get us to the playoffs with a better defence.

He's also a good QB who would have no chance against the elite teams in the NFL with elite QBs like the Bills & Josh Allen.

The goal is to win a ring so why not get what we can for him and rebuild?

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

A lot of bad resources went to the D.

When you commit to that Cousins extension, you essentially need to be flawless on your other roster moves. Your margin of error is very low. Rick/Zim completely wiffed on that part. 

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:If the Vikings Defense had held leads in the last two minutes of each half, they'd be playing this weekend. 

Very simplistic statement. 
i mean one can say .. if the Vikings offense had scored just one more TD in two weeks there’d be playing this weekend. 

basically, there was/is plenty more wrong with this team 

7 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Why would HC candidates make negative remarks about ANY players on teams that will be interviewing them?

Be clear that I am not saying I think one, some, or many candidates think poorly of Cousins.  I just don't know that we can conclude anything in that regard.  But, the odds are that HC candidates worthy of consideration would realize Kirk produced good results, in general, and that the largest problems with the Vikings lie elsewhere.

HC candidates would be best prepared to interview if they prepare a plan that uses Cousins, Cook, JJ, ... and assumes the GM to be hired will deal with problematic contracts, cap space problems, (re)signing free agents, ...

Agreed HC candidates are likely not going to say “Cousins is terrible, get him off the roster!”. HCs need to show a willingness to work/play Cousins because no one knows if the eventually GM will even be able to trade him away.