Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This is actually a very good move by the Vikings. 

A two year extension doesnt prevent them from looking for and possibly finding their long term answer, but it also doesn’t force them to pick a QB either. 

Lowering the cap hit $10M for 2020 is huge. And for right now, I really don’t care what his cap hit in 2021 or 2022 is, because we really have no clue where the salary cap is going. 

By the time Prescott, Mahomes, and Watson get new deals, I am sure the market will take off even more.

32 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

While $10 million is loosened up for the CAP, I am still disappointed the Vikings caved in the amount of guaranteed money.  We'll have to see how the Vikings play it from here.

why do you care how much money he makes if the cap situation is better for the team?

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

By the time Prescott, Mahomes, and Watson get new deals, I am sure the market will take off even more.

Agreed. I like this move for us. 

55 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

While $10 million is loosened up for the CAP, I am still disappointed the Vikings caved in the amount of guaranteed money.  We'll have to see how the Vikings play it from here.

It's a two year deal, they aren't cutting him in the next 2-3 years. The guarantee is not relevant at all.

After the beating he took behind this offensive line last year and the year before he honestly deserves this.  Nothing great as a QB but damn he has been hit a lot.  

However looking at the numbers, the Vikings in 2019 were 27th in the NFL with fewest sacks given up at 28 total, the leader Carolina and Miami gave up 58.  Then QB hits give up Minnesota was 28th with only 68 hits on the QB the leader being Miami giving up 147.  This is nuts, was it just me or did Kirk get absolutely crushed at times last year especially late in the season?  Some games were basically finished because they could not even drop back to complete a forward pass if the run game was not working.

Wow that is nuts, but Kirk is a great dude and person just hopefully in the coming years it leads to wins.  At least now they are committed to him longer than this up coming season which should help the season overall if they can sign some quality dudes and draft well.  The numbers do not say he should be paid that much, neither do the win totals but I guess it is the NFL of today.  Would I say pay Dak Prescott the same amount of money?  Possibly, especially since he is a better athlete, younger and is arguably a better leader vocally on and off the field.  Kirk does throw a better deep ball but it is close numbers wise and Dallas will not pay Dak obviously....

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

However looking at the numbers, the Vikings in 2019 were 27th in the NFL with fewest sacks given up at 28 total, the leader Carolina and Miami gave up 58.  Then QB hits give up Minnesota was 28th with only 68 hits on the QB the leader being Miami giving up 147.  This is nuts, was it just me or did Kirk get absolutely crushed at times last year especially late in the season?  Some games were basically finished because they could not even drop back to complete a forward pass if the run game was not working.

I wouldn't look at raw sack numbers for last season..Vikings had relatively low number of pass attempts when compared to other teams last season. I would rather look at Sack Rate. Cousins had only 29 pass attempts per game...that's bottom 5 in passing attempts among starting QBs. In comparison, Kyle Allen had 38 pass attempts per game...likes of Ryan, Goff had around 40 attempts per game.

47 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

why do you care how much money he makes if the cap situation is better for the team?

It's not the amount it's what is guaranteed.  There's no safety valve.

6 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I wouldn't look at raw sack numbers for last season..Vikings had relatively low number of pass attempts when compared to other teams last season. I would rather look at Sack Rate. Cousins had only 29 pass attempts per game...that's bottom 5 in passing attempts among starting QBs. In comparison, Kyle Allen had 38 pass attempts per game...likes of Ryan, Goff had around 40 attempts per game.

Very true, I was just kind of surprised by those numbers, because I thought he got killed last year back in the pocket when they could not run the ball.  

I think it's a decent deal. Especially when there is no more 'no trade clause' and the fact that Vikings can get out of the deal before 2022 season with just around $10M dead cap. 

Cool. 3 more years of him holding on to the ball too long.

Great signing.. now we need to beef up the O-line and D-line in the draft..

59 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I think it's a decent deal. Especially when there is no more 'no trade clause' and the fact that Vikings can get out of the deal before 2022 season with just around $10M dead cap. 

With the amount of guaranteed money, I think it would be very difficult to trade Cousins. 

Again, really, the guarantee is irrelevant to a contract of this length. No one is trading for him and cutting him with that little time left.

I was 100% against a Kirk Cousins extension, unless it was a shorter term deal that gave MIN cap room this year AND didnt include a no trade clause. So im OK with this deal. Ideally id still like to see MIN draft a QB somewhere in the mid rounds. 

This move enabled MIN to keep Harris (at least for now), which i like. I still think Harris could be traded though. 

This is why I didn't get why everyone made such a big deal about the fully guaranteed part. It's only 66 million this time and it would be a little easier to get out of it after 2 years but it's not that much different