RaidersAreOne

Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

The cap hit for 2022 is 45 million i believe, which is absurd. Surely that can again be restructured though.

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

The cap hit for 2022 is 45 million i believe, which is absurd. Surely that can again be restructured though.

By 2022, that might not be absurd. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Cousins and $45 million is though. I’d hope that isn’t all guaranteed because that assures he isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

45 million for KIRK COUSINS is absurd regardless of what the market is. Although his cap hit this year & next are not bad. 

All of this makes me wonder what we could have gotten Teddy for and maybe just found a way to shop Kirk, even if we had to take a little bit of hit on the deal.  Maybe Teddy wouldn't even consider coming back here anyway, but it will be interesting to see what he eventually signs for wherever he ends up this year.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

All of this makes me wonder what we could have gotten Teddy for and maybe just found a way to shop Kirk, even if we had to take a little bit of hit on the deal.  Maybe Teddy wouldn't even consider coming back here anyway, but it will be interesting to see what he eventually signs for wherever he ends up this year.

He wouldn't come back to Minny

I was hoping for a QB in this years draft, round 2-4. Now, I think that is postponed for 1-2 years. If we took a guy this year, he would be entering his 4th year in the league by the time Cousins’ contract expires, and I don’t think a guy could sit that long. As soon as Cousins’ slips, the fans will be calling for the draft pick, and we don’t want that drama. Oh well. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

he had a no-trade clause so we couldn't have traded him.

Edited by whitehops
kirk did, i mean.

Per OTC: Kirk Cousins signed a two year contract extension with the Vikings worth $66 million on March 16, 2020. Cousins at the time of signing had one year remaining on his old contract worth $30 million making the total package worth $96 million over three years. $61 million is fully guaranteed at signing, including a $30 million signing bonus and Cousins 2020 and 2021 base salaries. If Cousins in on the Vikings roster on the 3rd day of the 2021 league year his 2022 salary, which is currently guaranteed for injury, will become fully guaranteed. The move saved the Vikings $10 million in 2020 cap room.

https://overthecap.com/contract-embed/1443/

1 hour ago, whitehops said:

he had a no-trade clause so we couldn't have traded him.

We could have traded him if he agreed to the trade.  He would have had to agree though.

I preferred the Vikings to let Kirk ride out his contract and drafted a new QB in the 20/21 draft. Having so much tied up into one player hasn't worked for any team. 49ers had a lot of high draft picks on rookie deals. They should just extend Zim and Rick to the same time and if don't work out full-scale rebuild.

13 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

We could have traded him if he agreed to the trade.  He would have had to agree though.

But now he doesn't have that clause, so they could trade him. 

As far as the deal itself, it had to be done to free up cap room.  In return, they've given up a little more money on the back end for some more flexibility on their end.  I'm okay with that, as I don't expect him to ever see that $45M cap hit in 2022-23.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

But now he doesn't have that clause, so they could trade him. 

As far as the deal itself, it had to be done to free up cap room.  In return, they've given up a little more money on the back end for some more flexibility on their end.  I'm okay with that, as I don't expect him to ever see that $45M cap hit in 2022-23.  

The only way he doesn’t see that $45M cap hit is if the Vikings eat $30M+ in dead money at the end of 2020, or they give him another extension.