Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Because, while he's not perfect, he's not bad either.  I think people are far too hard on him solely because of the money he makes.

And justifiably so watching this team lose so much talent while not being able to afford to replace any of it. I’m sure there is also frustration given that the Vikes has to ship away the best offensive player on the team as an accommodation. 

I understand the frustration as a fan watching a QB that is likely tapped out who needs a lot of help around him to come close to playing up to the contract. 

Edited by vikingsrule

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

And justifiably so watching this team lose so much talent while not being able to afford to replace any of it. I’m sure there is also frustration given that the Vikes has to ship away the best offensive player on the team as an accommodation. 

I understand the frustration as a fan watching a QB that is likely tapped out who needs a lot of help around him to come close to playing up to the contract. 

But, more than one person has pointed out that that's not entirely accurate, nor a fair representation.   It's more perception than reality.  And I'm still not sure how anyone can hold Cousins responsible for making market-rate money.  How many people are now blaming Jared Goff for the Rams losing players...and is arguably, a far worse QB than Cousins...and makes more money.  

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

How many people are now blaming Jared Goff for the Rams losing players

Many, many people have called Goff’s contract a mistake.

And Cousins signed a market rate contract for a Super Bowl QB. Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Goff, etc. that signed a contract similar to Cousins have gotten their team to a Super Bowl. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, the salary genie in the quarterback "market" is out of the bottle and it will be next to impossible to get it back in the bottle.  The problem IS that the Vikings made an offer to Cousins that was in keeping with the free agency market.  Is that Cousins' fault? No.  Is it the front office's fault? Perhaps.  The truth is that they could've stayed with Bridgewater and probably gotten similar production at a cheaper price.  But that's all hindsight now, and the FO thought Teddy was damaged goods.  Until the NFL adopts position salary caps, quarterbacks will continue to receive outsized contracts that takes up a significant portion of a teams salary cap. 

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Many, many people have called Goff’s contract a mistake.

And Cousins signed a market rate contract for a Super Bowl QB. Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Goff, etc. that signed a contract similar to Cousins have gotten their team to a Super Bowl. 

Are you still not understanding that football is a team game?  GB hasn’t made a SB in a decade. Goff put up 3 points in his SB. Ryan choked away a 25 point lead in the SB and hasn’t made the playoffs since. 

We get it, you don’t like Cousins. 

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Unfortunately, the salary genie in the quarterback "market" is out of the bottle and it will be next to impossible to get it back in the bottle.  The problem IS that the Vikings made an offer to Cousins that was in keeping with the free agency market.  Is that Cousins' fault? No.  Is it the front office's fault? Perhaps.  The truth is that they could've stayed with Bridgewater and probably gotten similar production at a cheaper price.  But that's all hindsight now, and the FO thought Teddy was damaged goods.  Until the NFL adopts position salary caps, quarterbacks will continue to receive outsized contracts that takes up a significant portion of a teams salary cap. 

Bridgewater threw for 14 TDs the last time he played a season. And 10 INTs. That isn’t in the same stratosphere of production. Not to mention Kirk’s deep passing game is one of the best in the league, something that Teddy really struggled with. 

Plus who knows how long that knee is going to hold up. I was a huge Teddy fan, but I’m fine with the decision the FO made. 

12 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Are you still not understanding that football is a team game?

And no position, in any sport, has as much impact on the game as the quarterback. 

GB hasn’t made a SB in a decade.

Still got there. 

Goff put up 3 points in his SB.

Still got there.

Ryan choked away a 25 point lead in the SB and hasn’t made the playoffs since.

Still got there. 

We get it, you don’t like Cousins. 

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking. I just hold a $30M+ QB to a higher standard than a 23yo second year player, and a career journeyman back up. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Bridgewater threw for 14 TDs the last time he played a season. And 10 INTs. That isn’t in the same stratosphere of production. Not to mention Kirk’s deep passing game is one of the best in the league, something that Teddy really struggled with. 

Plus who knows how long that knee is going to hold up. I was a huge Teddy fan, but I’m fine with the decision the FO made. 

While it's difficult to quantify, most Vikings watchers and quarterback gurus' believed that Bridgewater was ready for a significant breakout season prior to his dreadful injury.  He has worked hard to overcome that injury and the perception that he's permanently damaged.  I think he'll have good to great success with the Panthers.  Teddy's arm strength is not in Cousins' league, but his accuracy is just as good, if not a smidge better than Kirks'.  I also believe that Bridgewater is a better decision maker with the ball in his gloved hands.  Again, what Teddy could've done is conjecture.  What Kirk has done is fact.  We have him for at least two more years.  My hope is that the team finds enough cap room to get the players that will help provide the clean pocket that he seems to need to maximize his talents.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

And no position, in any sport, has as much impact on the game as the quarterback. 

Still got there. 

Still got there.

Still got there. 

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking. I just hold a $30M+ QB to a higher standard than a 23yo second year player, and a career journeyman back up. 

Exactly, QB is the most important position. So why do we want to pinch pennies on it?  How well did the organization do without stability at QB?  Do I need to bring up Christian Ponder, T-Jack, Josh Freeman, Donovan McNabb, etc...?  

I’d rather pay up for a Top-10 QB than sit here and waste more years of talent at other positions because we have garbage at QB.  No thanks, Cousins proved he can show up for the big game at New Orleans. The team really needs to focus on drafting better and being better in the trenches.  Obviously the FO agrees with me here as they went ahead and signed Cousins to an extension already...

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

While it's difficult to quantify, most Vikings watchers and quarterback gurus' believed that Bridgewater was ready for a significant breakout season prior to his dreadful injury.  He has worked hard to overcome that injury and the perception that he's permanently damaged.  I think he'll have good to great success with the Panthers.  Teddy's arm strength is not in Cousins' league, but his accuracy is just as good, if not a smidge better than Kirks'.  I also believe that Bridgewater is a better decision maker with the ball in his gloved hands.  Again, what Teddy could've done is conjecture.  What Kirk has done is fact.  We have him for at least two more years.  My hope is that the team finds enough cap room to get the players that will help provide the clean pocket that he seems to need to maximize his talents.

Yeah, every QB outside of maybe Russell Wilson needs a clean pocket. I agree they need to beef up the OL majorly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree for the most part, but I don't agree that Teddy has better accuracy...in fact, I think Cousins' accuracy blows Teddy's out of the water.  The only Vikings' QBs with better accuracy than Cousins in the last 20 years are probably Favre and Bradford.  And I don't believe that's preposterous.

28 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I agree for the most part, but I don't agree that Teddy has better accuracy...in fact, I think Cousins' accuracy blows Teddy's out of the water.  The only Vikings' QBs with better accuracy than Cousins in the last 20 years are probably Favre and Bradford.  And I don't believe that's preposterous.

For his vaunted deep ball, I sure have seen Cousins miss targets.  Maybe I think Teddy is better because he threw mainly shorter routes.  Favre's accuracy was spotty...or, he was just plain stupid to throw some of the balls he threw.  Bradford's accuracy was unworldly!  It was a shame that his arm also came with glass knees!!

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Exactly, QB is the most important position. So why do we want to pinch pennies on it?  How well did the organization do without stability at QB?  Do I need to bring up Christian Ponder, T-Jack, Josh Freeman, Donovan McNabb, etc...?  

I’d rather pay up for a Top-10 QB than sit here and waste more years of talent at other positions because we have garbage at QB.  No thanks, Cousins proved he can show up for the big game at New Orleans. The team really needs to focus on drafting better and being better in the trenches.  Obviously the FO agrees with me here as they went ahead and signed Cousins to an extension already...

I don't think that anyone can argue that this is the most stable the quarterback position has been in a very long time. The only real argument is if you think he's a super bowl caliber quarterback. I understand both sides of that argument.

While Cousins' contract may not directly be the only reason we can't keep everyone around, having him here definitely contributes. Having a quarterback on an expensive, short deal definitely puts you in a "window" where you feel like you have to maximize your chance of winning by signing large contracts that may put you in a poor cap position down the road. If Cousins wasn't here, we may not have signed Barr to the big extension and things like that. I don't know how you can say Cousins isn't the reason we are having trouble keeping guys around this year.

It's not about "pinching pennies", it's about not overpaying a quarterback who we, in our opinion, don't think can win a super bowl without a perfect situation around him.

Edited by vikestyle
  • Like 1