Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

I don't think that anyone can argue that this is the most stable the quarterback position has been in a very long time. The only real argument is if you think he's a super bowl caliber quarterback. I understand both sides of that argument.

While Cousins' contract may not directly be the only reason we can't keep everyone around, having him here definitely contributes. Having a quarterback on an expensive, short deal definitely puts you in a "window" where you feel like you have to maximize your chance of winning by signing large contracts that may put you in a poor cap position down the road. If Cousins wasn't here, we may not have signed Barr to the big extension and things like that. I don't know how you can say Cousins isn't the reason we are having trouble keeping guys around this year.

It's not about "pinching pennies", it's about not overpaying a quarterback who we, in our opinion, don't think can win a super bowl without a perfect situation around him.

How do you watch that Saints playoff game and not come away thinking Cousins is a “super bowl caliber QB” ?  He marched us down the field in OT against a Top-2 team in the NFC, on the road. 

Where do all you guys get this impression that Cousins was supposed to win a SB for us and that anything short of winning that is a failure?  We got absolutely ****-stomped in the 2017 NFCCG and practically everybody on the defense has regressed since then.  Spielman has missed on a lot of draft picks. 

Cousins isn’t blameless, but he’s performed pretty damn well. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

How do you watch that Saints playoff game and not come away thinking Cousins is a “super bowl caliber QB” ?  He marched us down the field in OT against a Top-2 team in the NFC, on the road. 

Where do all you guys get this impression that Cousins was supposed to win a SB for us and that anything short of winning that is a failure?  We got absolutely ****-stomped in the 2017 NFCCG and practically everybody on the defense has regressed since then.  Spielman has missed on a lot of draft picks. 

Cousins isn’t blameless, but he’s performed pretty damn well. 

I'm not putting all the blame on Cousins. I don't think this roster is anywhere near the quality necessary to help Kirk win a super bowl. That's why I think it was a mistake to give him another contract. He's a good quarterback who plays to what is around him. Right now what is around him isn't super bowl caliber.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

How do you watch that Saints playoff game and not come away thinking Cousins is a “super bowl caliber QB” ?

Because we also watched him the very next week against San Francisco. We watched him against Green Bay (twice), Chicago (both 2018 and 2019), Seattle (both 2018 and 2019), Kansas City, etc. 

The Saints game ended great, but don’t forget that we were going into overtime because the team blew a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. A good chunk of that responsibility falling on the offense, led by Cousins, and their failure to sustain a drive and keep the Saints offense off the field in the 4th quarter.

Even Christian Ponder had a couple late game heroics, including the best game of his career in a “win and your in” game against Green Bay. But one game didn’t erase his career leading up to it. And it didn’t make him a good QB afterwards.

Cousins carries the reputation that he does for a reason. His record against good teams speaks for itself. He’s great against bad teams, good against mediocre teams, and bad against good teams. That equals an average quarterback. An average quarterback that this team is paying top tier quarterback money. 

Some wanted to get rid of Jospeh because he was an average player making top tier money. Some still want to get rid Reiff for being an average player making average money for his position. This happens every year with players who aren’t living up to the expectations of their contract. Yet, when it comes to Cousins he gets a raise, and some are actually happy about it. Why? 

Edited by SemperFeist

3 hours ago, vikestyle said:

I'm not putting all the blame on Cousins. I don't think this roster is anywhere near the quality necessary to help Kirk win a super bowl. That's why I think it was a mistake to give him another contract. He's a good quarterback who plays to what is around him. Right now what is around him isn't super bowl caliber.

My argument is that Cousins and his contract is better than having a QB thats a tier below him and a few extra million dollars of cap space. 

Patrick Mahomes is the best QB alive right now and even he needed a stacked team to win a SB. We got beat by KC’s backup Matt Moore lol...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Because we also watched him the very next week against San Francisco. We watched him against Green Bay (twice), Chicago (both 2018 and 2019), Seattle (both 2018 and 2019), Kansas City, etc. 

The Saints game ended great, but don’t forget that we were going into overtime because the team blew a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. A good chunk of that responsibility falling on the offense, led by Cousins, and their failure to sustain a drive and keep the Saints offense off the field in the 4th quarter.

Even Christian Ponder had a couple late game heroics, including the best game of his career in a “win and your in” game against Green Bay. But one game didn’t erase his career leading up to it. And it didn’t make him a good QB afterwards.

Cousins carries the reputation that he does for a reason. His record against good teams speaks for itself. He’s great against bad teams, good against mediocre teams, and bad against good teams. That equals an average quarterback. An average quarterback that this team is paying top tier quarterback money. 

Some wanted to get rid of Jospeh because he was an average player making top tier money. Some still want to get rid Reiff for being an average player making average money for his position. This happens every year with players who aren’t living up to the expectations of their contract. Yet, when it comes to Cousins he gets a raise, and some are actually happy about it. Why? 

26/6 behind a pretty miserable OL isn’t average lol

And I’m glad you listed all those teams, there’s a common denominator with all of them — they all have good-great DL’s and we got absolutely destroyed up front by them  

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

My argument is that Cousins and his contract is better than having a QB thats a tier below him and a few extra million dollars of cap space. 

Patrick Mahomes is the best QB alive right now and even he needed a stacked team to win a SB. We got beat by KC’s backup Matt Moore lol...

Yep exactly. I wanted to ride out this year with Kirk and have the ability to take a rookie next year if things didn't go well this year.

3 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Yep exactly. I wanted to ride out this year with Kirk and have the ability to take a rookie next year if things didn't go well this year.

Problem is this team isn’t bad enough to get a Top-5 pick. We’re stuck in a bit of a tight spot, so I can see why they wanted to extend Cousins and continue to build via the draft. 

Much better than wasting all the talent we have while trying to throw another dart at the dartboard in the draft. 

Just now, Duff Man said:

Problem is this team isn’t bad enough to get a Top-5 pick. We’re stuck in a bit of a tight spot, so I can see why they wanted to extend Cousins and continue to build via the draft. 

Much better than wasting all the talent we have while trying to throw another dart at the dartboard in the draft. 

Yeah I get your point man. We're definitely better off with him than without him in the short term. I'm just ready to throw a dart in the next year or two and you have more faith in Cousins. That's alright! We can disagree on this one.

10 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Yeah, retool now and once that talent has developed, then get the QB in 2022 or 2023.

I don't see Cousins playing much past 36.

Edited by SteelKing728
He'd leave here at age 34 on current contract
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Yeah, retool now and once that talent has developed, then get the QB in 2022 or 2023.

I don't see Cousins playing much past 36.

Exactly.  We aren’t going to be in a position to draft a QBOTF any time soon. Everybody saw this contract extension coming, it makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Exactly.  We aren’t going to be in a position to draft a QBOTF any time soon. Everybody saw this contract extension coming, it makes a lot of sense. 

The Chiefs didn’t have this mindset, had a late first round pick and made a bold move to get the best QB in the NFL right now. The Chiefs won a super bowl knowing they can do better than Alex Smith and didn’t let team success get in the way of improving the most important position.

Sorry, I just cannot accept that we won’t be in a position to draft a QBOTF anytime soon. Winning a super bowl takes a bit of risk from leadership, unfortunately Zimmer and Spielman have become so risk averse they may ultimately hold this franchise back. 

Spielman saves his job if he can successfully take a chance on another QB who is cheaper and ultimately better than Cousins. Otherwise, hitching oneself to Cousins (or Smith) is a doomed strategy. Spielman has blown so many first round picks as of late that there is an alarming lack of talent on cheap deals. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

The Chiefs didn’t have this mindset, had a late first round pick and made a bold move to get the best QB in the NFL right now. The Chiefs won a super bowl knowing they can do better than Alex Smith and didn’t let team success get in the way of improving the most important position.

Sorry, I just cannot accept that we won’t be in a position to draft a QBOTF anytime soon. Winning a super bowl takes a bit of risk from leadership, unfortunately Zimmer and Spielman have become so risk averse they may ultimately hold this franchise back. 

Spielman saves his job if he can successfully take a chance on another QB who is cheaper and ultimately better than Cousins. Otherwise, hitching oneself to Cousins (or Smith) is a doomed strategy. Spielman has blown so many first round picks as of late that there is an alarming lack of talent on cheap deals. 

I don’t think “hitching oneself” to Cousins is a doomed strategy at all, that’s insanely pessimistic. 

Seriously guys, we just won a playoff game with a terrible OL and interior DL.  No WR #3 or #4.  Weak secondary.  This team has 12 picks coming into the draft, if we can get MEDIOCRE OL and DL play this season the sky is the limit. 

I don’t see another Mahomes coming out anytime soon. I think if we trade up for any QB (at least this year) we’ll be left with someone closer to Trubisky than Mahomes. Let’s ask Chicago how mortgaging their future for a QB turned out for them. They’re actively wasting a generational defense because they struck out in the draft. Imagine how much more successful that team would be with Cousins, even with a few extra $ going to Cousins’ contract. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I don’t think “hitching oneself” to Cousins is a doomed strategy at all, that’s insanely pessimistic. 

Seriously guys, we just won a playoff game with a terrible OL and interior DL.  No WR #3 or #4.  Weak secondary.  This team has 12 picks coming into the draft, if we can get MEDIOCRE OL and DL play this season the sky is the limit. 

I don’t see another Mahomes coming out anytime soon. I think if we trade up for any QB (at least this year) we’ll be left with someone closer to Trubisky than Mahomes. Let’s ask Chicago how mortgaging their future for a QB turned out for them. They’re actively wasting a generational defense because they struck out in the draft. Imagine how much more successful that team would be with Cousins, even with a few extra $ going to Cousins’ contract. 

How optimistic are you that those weaknesses will be improved, on top of the newly created weaknesses from this offseason? My pessimism is due to Spielman losing his drafting touch, where’s the next Hunter, Diggs, Kendricks, franchise building blocks that can  play on cheap deals for 2-3 years. As for Mahomes, he was no slam dunk prospect. Same with Watson for that reason. They both fell out of the top 10 so they both had their issues. I don’t think you can say you don’t see anybody as good as those two in the next few years, that’s unfairly propping up Mahomes and Watson as prospects based on their success as pros. Point being,  both the Texans and Chiefs were pretty good teams who took chances on unpolished but supremely talented QBs, and it’s paid dividends for KC. If Houston wasn’t run by a moron, they’d actually get somewhere with Watson.

Chciago did more to mortgage their future with the Mack trade than taking Trubisky.

55 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

How optimistic are you that those weaknesses will be improved, on top of the newly created weaknesses from this offseason? My pessimism is due to Spielman losing his drafting touch, where’s the next Hunter, Diggs, Kendricks, franchise building blocks that can  play on cheap deals for 2-3 years. As for Mahomes, he was no slam dunk prospect. Same with Watson for that reason. They both fell out of the top 10 so they both had their issues. I don’t think you can say you don’t see anybody as good as those two in the next few years, that’s unfairly propping up Mahomes and Watson as prospects based on their success as pros. Point being,  both the Texans and Chiefs were pretty good teams who took chances on unpolished but supremely talented QBs, and it’s paid dividends for KC. If Houston wasn’t run by a moron, they’d actually get somewhere with Watson.

Chciago did more to mortgage their future with the Mack trade than taking Trubisky.

I’m very optimistic that they can find a few starters with 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. 

And if your pessimism comes from not believing that Spielman will hit on draft picks I don’t know what you think a new QB will accomplish (???). Like I said, KC has a phenomenal roster outside of having the best QB in the league — even they had a tough time beating SF, who’s QB is considerably worse than Cousins. Its such a team game. 

I’d put Watson in the same tier as Cousins, he’s actually never had a better year statistically than Cousins.  And he has just as many playoff wins as Cousins, so good example?  Why are you making excuses for Watson but can’t accept that Cousins’ surrounding talent (specifically OL & DL) needs work? 

4 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I’m very optimistic that they can find a few starters with 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. 

And if your pessimism comes from not believing that Spielman will hit on draft picks I don’t know what you think a new QB will accomplish (???). Like I said, KC has a phenomenal roster outside of having the best QB in the league — even they had a tough time beating SF, who’s QB is considerably worse than Cousins. Its such a team game. 

I’d put Watson in the same tier as Cousins, he’s actually never had a better year statistically than Cousins.  And he has just as many playoff wins as Cousins, so good example?  Why are you making excuses for Watson but can’t accept that Cousins’ surrounding talent (specifically OL & DL) needs work? 

Like I’ve said, Spielman won’t be picking a new QB. If Cousins fails, he’s likely to be out of a job. If Cousins continues to lead the team to playoff wins, Spielman probably retires/resigns before Cousins does. 

As for Watson vs Cousins, there is a 7 year age gap, Watson is just 24. Based on how he’s played so far, you’d expect the ceiling to be higher long term.

The Vikes have regularly had a super bowl caliber roster, at least the last 2-3 seasons. Have the Chiefs been vastly more talented over the years? No. The Chiefs have had some bad defenses over the years.