Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

I didn't get to watch much of the 2nd half.  What went wrong that the offense couldn't put the game away? I know Jefferson had the 1 bad drop. 

I do wonder what it would be like to have an offense that teams are scared to give the ball back to with a chance to win the have at the end

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I didn't get to watch much of the 2nd half.  What went wrong that the offense couldn't put the game away? I know Jefferson had the 1 bad drop. 

I do wonder what it would be like to have an offense that teams are scared to give the ball back to with a chance to win the have at the end

A run attempt i think, Tight coverage on Thielen, drop by Jefferson, a lot of pressure on 4th down which led to a prayer that didn't work out.

As soon as the announcer said Cousins had a perfect rating, he didn't complete another pass. Not entirely his fault, but he's never going to be this team's savior, I think.

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

The offense DID put the game away IMO. The defense failed yet again to get a 4th down stop.

I thought where things got interesting was the drive before the Cowboys scored the go-ahead TD.

4 plays, 12 yards, 1:54

1st and 10: Complete to Rudolph for 12

1st and 10: Cook for no gain

2nd and 10: Incomplete to Ham

3rd and 10: Incomplete Thielen

4th and 10: Punt - Cowboys ball with 4 minutes left.

This drive was the drive for the offense to win the game. It looks like Dallas had all 3 of their timeouts but I question the decision to go back-to-back passes on 2nd and 3rd down. Obviously there is the data where the Vikings are one of the most run heavy teams on 2nd down, yet here they decide to pass. In hindsight the Cowboys didn't end up needing their timeouts and who's to say they would've called them had the Vikings run on 2nd/3rd down that series. No screen pass, no draw call? I remember questioning this at the time it happened.

54 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

The offense DID put the game away IMO. The defense failed yet again to get a 4th down stop.

I thought where things got interesting was the drive before the Cowboys scored the go-ahead TD.

4 plays, 12 yards, 1:54

1st and 10: Complete to Rudolph for 12

1st and 10: Cook for no gain

2nd and 10: Incomplete to Ham

3rd and 10: Incomplete Thielen

4th and 10: Punt - Cowboys ball with 4 minutes left.

This drive was the drive for the offense to win the game. It looks like Dallas had all 3 of their timeouts but I question the decision to go back-to-back passes on 2nd and 3rd down. Obviously there is the data where the Vikings are one of the most run heavy teams on 2nd down, yet here they decide to pass. In hindsight the Cowboys didn't end up needing their timeouts and who's to say they would've called them had the Vikings run on 2nd/3rd down that series. No screen pass, no draw call? I remember questioning this at the time it happened.

I was wondering how the play calling was that drive.  A lot of people would them be more aggressive with passes than 3 runs and a punt but that's the the draw back of incomplete passes.  Giving the ball to cook is never a bad option either

Kirk Cousins played a great game against the Panthers. It would be huge for the Vikings if the game against the Panthers was indicative of what the team could expect out of Cousins. It will take another 5-6 games like that before anyone should reasonably expect performances like that out of Kirk Cousins. Even then, it would be quite a stretch expectation. QBs that can consistently perform at that level are truly rare.