Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Kirk Cousins played a great game against the Panthers. It would be huge for the Vikings if the game against the Panthers was indicative of what the team could expect out of Cousins. It will take another 5-6 games like that before anyone should reasonably expect performances like that out of Kirk Cousins. Even then, it would be quite a stretch expectation. QBs that can consistently perform at that level are truly rare.

They are truly rare.  Kirk Cousins has shown that he can be brilliant against bad teams, but is very inconsistent vs the good ones.  That's just a fact.  If he gets the protection against the good teams, he can do well, ala the Saints' playoff game last year, but when he gets pressure, he tends to fold.  That's his history.  I still think the Vikings can win with him, but they can't rely on him.  We can only hope that, if they manage to find a way into the playoffs, he can get the necessary protection that he needs to succeed.  While I don't expect them to get far should they get there, it's not out of the question that they can still do some damage, because there isn't a team in the NFC that is head and shoulders above anyone else in the playoff chase.  They all have significant flaws.      

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Cousins is playing like people expected when he signed. The offense is on pace to score the 3rd most points in franchise history.

And in true Vikings fashion, we pair it up with a bottom 5 defense. 

Vikings defense is 11th by DVOA. They did a great job yesterday. That is two out of three games that they have played really well. There are a lot of young players and the inexperience will lead to inconsistency but they are nowhere near a bottom 5 defense IMO. Things are looking good for the defense heading into next year.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Vikings defense is 11th by DVOA. They did a great job yesterday. That is two out of three games that they have played really well. There are a lot of young players and the inexperience will lead to inconsistency but they are nowhere near a bottom 5 defense IMO. Things are looking good for the defense heading into next year.

While calling them a bottom 5 defense was a bit hyperbole, they are ranked 26th in points allowed. 

And that still fits my ultimate point. This team hasn’t finished outside of the top 10 in points allowed since Zimmer’s first year when they were 11th. And how many times during Zimmer’s time here have we said “we just need an average offense”, “just need to score 21 points”, etc. 

I just find it funny that for years we’ve talked about Zimmer’s gaudy record when the Vikings score 21 or more, and now we’ve got an offense that’s going well beyond that (9 games out of 11) and we can’t hold opponents under that standard. 

But I will absolutely agree that what we’ve seen recently from the defense is a good sign for next season. But isn’t that the Vikings’ mantra? “There’s always next year”

Can’t help but wonder how the team is feeling about the Ngakoue trade to Baltimore now? 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3
59 minutes ago, babababa said:

My opinion of Cousins has varied a lot this season, including bottoming out after the Falcons game. Thankfully he's turned it all around.

I still believe he's a good QB for this team.

I think he’s a good QB for this team if the defense can get back to 2016-2018 levels. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of missing pieces and I’d like to think the window (with Cousins) is maybe 1-2 more seasons. Good QBs usually peak early 30s.

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of missing pieces

Are there though?

The young corners are getting better each week, and what does this defense look like with Hunter, Barr, and Pierce? Hughes and Hill?

A true starter at the 3 tech is certainly needed, and some depth at linebacker. But I don’t think they’re far away from reaching the 2015 or early 2016 level of defense. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2
Just now, SemperFeist said:

Are there though?

The young corners are getting better each week, and what does this defense look like with Hunter, Barr, and Pierce? 

A true starter at the 3 tech is certainly needed, and some depth at linebacker. But I don’t think they’re far away from reaching the 2015 or early 2016 level of defense. 

Not sure Barr is part of the future and who knows how good Pierce will be in this defense. He’s no peak Linval. Also missing another edge player like Griffen, maybe that can be Wonnum opposite of Hunter. Odinigbo is a good #3.

I am not as confident in the CBs as you are. I think Gladney and Dantzler can be okay pieces, maybe comparable to the impact Waynes and Alexander had, but where’s that 2015-2018 Xavier Rhodes going to come from, a true shut down CB.   

Barr isn’t going any where. His presence is clearly missed, as evidenced by the teams struggles with run defense. 

Pierce is an unknown, but even his down year in Baltimore was leagues better than what this team has gotten from Stephen. I don’t think he has to be peak Linval, although Lincal didn’t reach his peak until his second and third year here. 

It always good to have more edge rushers, but I think Wonnum is growing faster than expected and should be a solid starter with Hunter occupying so much attention on the other side. I do agree that Odenigbo is best as a #3, but he’s a solid #3. 

i think it’s too early to label what these young corners will become. No one saw Rhodes turning into an All Pro when he first started in Zimmer’s defense. But I do think all of these young corners have the physical and mental skill set to be very good. They just need to learn, and buy into what Zimmer is teaching. 

I think the run defense is missing Pierce more than Barr, and Wilson is playing assignment-sound.  The rest of the defense is doing quite well as of late.  That said, is it a matter of not getting too cute with new guys, or is it a deal where the opposing offenses haven't seen enough of these guys together to figure out tendencies?  ala a major league pitcher that's been through the line-up twice . . . hitters sometimes figure things out.

As for the real discussion, Cousin has shown over the course of 3 seasons that he can play.  Sam Bradford was "brilliant" if you look at his completion percentage and setting the NFL record at the time for it -- but did he lead the team to the playoffs?  I feel like Cousins is loving this offense right now, which to me, is very similar to the mid-90s Broncos, the mid-2000's Colts and even the 09 Vikes.  You've got a RB that's dominating most games, a couple TEs that have well-rounded skills and some special zest, and WRs that can take over a game, much less play at a consistently high level (remember Ed McCaffery, Rod Smith, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Sidney Rice and Percy?).  

The current Vikes offense has a lot of those characteristics.  The Vikes defense might be pulling together at just the right time.  Statistics can be easily manipulated to make them favorable, and if one takes a look at the first 4 games of the year, both sides of the ball stunk it up.  Next 4 games, the O improved dramatically, especially when Cleveland stepped in at RG (which took a big step backward on pressures up the middle the past couple weeks).  If they play right this week, they'll be 6-6 at the 3/4 mark.  The past 8 games, the defense has allowed 25 pt/game, the last 4 games, that's down to 22 pts/game.  Meanwhile, the offense is averaging 27.5 pts/game the past 5 games.  Cousins is on a streak, much like he did last year mid-season.

Sustaining that streak of elevated play will ensure he earns his pay.  If he wins the next two games (Jags & Bucs), the team will be 7-6 heading into Chicago, and they would have leap-frogged Tampa in the standings.  Meanwhile, AZ could lose one and fall too.  So, the reality of making the playoffs is right there for the taking.  If Cousins plays steady and avoids sacks and turnovers, this team should win their remaining games.  (what a huge IF) The most massive fear I have is this team wins their next four and crushes New Orleans, only to have a huge let down against the Lions in wk 17.

If history repeats itself, we're in for a Division round bummer.  If Zimmer and all pull a magic rabbit outta their helmets, this team will be similar to the '06 Colts, statistically speaking . . . and all of a sudden someone's going to say Cousins and that Manning guy are so similar . . . smdh.  Lol.

• Like 1

This is probably the best Kirk Cousins game I have ever watched from including his time in DC(I'm from DC). Of course not from a pure stats standpoint. He didn't lock-on to just one player, he slid in pocket when felt pressure, ran when nothing was open and really took command of the offense in the fourth. Even the sack fumble wasn't a typical Kirk being Kirk mistake. However, as much as I want this to be Kirk finally growing as a QB. Sadly, I believe this Kirk having his typical Hot Streak like (ArcticNorseman) where he gets hot and plays like a top tier QB. I just picked a random year 15" He went in 4 game span 12TDs 1 Int then in 16'  another 4 game span 8TDs 2 Ints. Kirk when on celling is with the other top QBs but he doesn't maintain that high level for a long time. I hope I'm wrong as he continue to push us further away from a top draft pick who can replace him.