Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

I'm okay with this, but if SF is making the push, we need a 1st out of this either this year or next. Kirk is a much better QB than Garrapolo and he'd only be a stopgap for us.

Doubt they'd give up a 1st. I'm a Cousins supporter, but I'd take Jimmy and a 2nd rounder to move off of his contract.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that it'd be the Vikings giving the draft pick to get out of Cousins' contract rather than the opposite, because the Vikings would be getting more cap flexibility out of the deal.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

3-way trade!

Minnesota gets: Watson from Houston
Houston gets: Jimmy G, #12, 2021 1st from SF....#14 from MN
SF gets: Kirk

Who says no? San Fran.

You're valuing the upgrade from Jimmy G to Kirk as 2 FRP? I don't see it man.

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm of the opinion that it'd be the Vikings giving the draft pick to get out of Cousins' contract rather than the opposite, because the Vikings would be getting more cap flexibility out of the deal.  

Agreed. Though Cousins is at least in the top half of leagues QB so his value alone is probably a first and a third, not counting his contract. What is that contract worth as a negative? He’s much better than Goff and the Rams seemingly paid a first to get him off the books. Putting Stafford himself at maybe a 1st and 3rd round value. 

Id trade Cousins, pick 14 and a 2022 first for Watson. Not sure they’d take it. Cousins would be a good fit for Easterby’s org. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, swede700 said:

SF is pushing the deal. If they really want Cousins, then they need to put up the assets to get him.

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

Who says no? San Fran.

You're valuing the upgrade from Jimmy G to Kirk as 2 FRP? I don't see it man.

Why are we still thinking Jimmy G is a decent QB? He's played ONE full season in his career. Outside of that one season, he's never played more than 6 games. Mitch Trubisky is an upgrade over Jimmy G because at least Mitch can play the game.

If the Vikings are essentially going to start from ground level at QB and SF wants to make an impact during their window, I want above-market value and two firsts in return for splitting up the offense with the 4th most yards and 11th most points. 

Minnesota holds the cards. If we're going to openly let an NFC team improve by taking our QB, then they can pay for him.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Why are we still thinking Jimmy G is a decent QB? He's played ONE full season in his career. Outside of that one season, he's never played more than 6 games. Mitch Trubisky is an upgrade over Jimmy G because at least Mitch can play the game.

If the Vikings are essentially going to start from ground level at QB, I want above-market value and two firsts in return for splitting up the offense with the 4th most yards and 11th most points. 

it's not that you're undervaluing Jimmy, you're overvaluing Kirk.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

it's not that you're undervaluing Jimmy, you're overvaluing Kirk.

But any trade will probably involve Jimmy coming to Minnesota.

Like I said, if I'm going from a QB who's missed ONE game in his career and lead a top-10 offense to a guy who can't stay on the field, pay up. 

I really don't get the over-valuing Kirk comment. Kirk is a better QB than Stafford both statistically, health, and record wise. Nobody says boo when Stafford goes for two firsts but Kirk, a better QB, going for two firsts is out of the question? 

And this is from someone who doesn't like Kirk and his contract.....starting QB's are the most valuable position in all of sports. If you want one to go to a Super Bowl, pay for him.

• Like 2
Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

But any trade will probably involve Jimmy coming to Minnesota.

Like I said, if I'm going from a QB who's missed ONE game in his career and lead a top-10 offense to a guy who can't stay on the field, pay up. 

I really don't get the over-valuing Kirk comment. Kirk is a better QB than Stafford both statistically, health, and record wise. Nobody says boo when Stafford goes for two firsts but Kirk, a better QB, going for two firsts is out of the question? 

Kirk has been playing with a fantastic supporting cast his entire time in Minnesota. He ain't better than Stafford who's been in Detroit getting the Sanders/Megatron effect (no I'm not saying Stafford is THAT good)

For what it's worth, remember I have no horse in this race. Kirk is a top 12 QB at best IMO. Jumping from a meh QB in Jimmy G to the 10-12th best QB isn't 2 first round picks worthy. Especially not when one of them is #12 overall.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Kirk has been playing with a fantastic supporting cast his entire time in Minnesota. He ain't better than Stafford who's been in Detroit getting the Sanders/Megatron effect (no I'm not saying Stafford is THAT good)

For what it's worth, remember I have no horse in this race. Kirk is a top 12 QB at best IMO. Jumping from a meh QB in Jimmy G to the 10-12th best QB isn't 2 first round picks worthy. Especially not when one of them is #12 overall.

Wut?

Stafford has had a top-15 WR in Golladay for 4 seasons. Before that? Hall of famer Calvin Johnson for 7 seasons right before that. 11 seasons of at least one great WR.

Stafford has a dynamic up & coming TE for two seasons.

Stafford has had a consistently better offensive line (2020 #13 vs. 2020 #26)

Kirk has certainly had Diggs/Thielen but also one of the worst offensive lines for his entire tenure.

I'm not saying that Kirk is better than Stafford but let's not get crazy comparing "situations" that puts Stafford one 1st rounder higher than Kirk because of Kirk's "heavenly" situation that doesn't exist. 

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Wut?

Stafford has had a top-15 WR in Golladay for 4 seasons. Before that? Hall of famer Calvin Johnson for 7 seasons right before that. 11 seasons of at least one great WR.

Stafford has a dynamic up & coming TE for two seasons.

Stafford has had a consistently better offensive line (2020 #13 vs. 2020 #26)

Kirk has certainly had Diggs/Thielen but also one of the worst offensive lines for his entire tenure.

I'm not saying that Kirk is better than Stafford but let's not get crazy comparing "situations" that puts Stafford one 1st rounder higher than Kirk because of Kirk's "heavenly" situation that doesn't exist. 

Golladay is not a top 15 WR buddy. His only season he came close was last year. All 3 other seasons he was outside the top 20.

Megatron's been gone for a number of years now. 

True, I forgot about Hockensen, but he hasn't lived up to his potential to this point frankly.

If you're using the Stafford trade as a barometer for what you should get in return for Kirk, you need to reevaluate. The Lions were given a first round pick (Two years from now in 2023 which has lower trade value) in exchange to take Goff's contract off the Rams hands.

Jimmy G can be cut at any point and y'all aren't stuck with that bag.