Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

SF is pushing the deal. If they really want Cousins, then they need to put up the assets to get him.

It depends...it may be a wash, but I wouldn't expect it to be a ransom, because the Vikings would actually be getting the greater contractual benefit of acquiring Jimmy.  Yes, SF may be pushing it, but I would expect the Vikings would have to give up the greater draft pick because of the contractual differences.  Maybe, the Vikings could get a higher draft pick down the road, but I imagine they'd have to give up a higher draft pick right now...maybe not a first, but at least one of their 3rds.    

There’s been zero indication that the Vikings want to move on from Cousins. Sure, they may be ready to make plans for life after him, but they can also do that without getting rid of him. 

All of these “reports” revolve around the idea that Kyle Shanahan loves Cousins, and that he thinks Cousins is the QB to run his offense. If that’s the case, and the 49ers want him, then it’s going to cost San Francisco. Pure and simple. 

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

If you're using the Stafford trade as a barometer for what you should get in return for Kirk, you need to reevaluate. The Lions were given a first round pick (Two years from now in 2023 which has lower trade value) in exchange to take Goff's contract off the Rams hands.

Jimmy G can be cut at any point and y'all aren't stuck with that bag.

You're missing the point.

The Vikings have a good offense. Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, Smith. Like I said, 4th in yards, 11th in points.

You're asking for Minnesota to give up on all of that and do a hard reset at QB. Starting from scratch. Jimmy ain't it. 

I don't care what "market value" would be for Kirk (If you really want to think Stafford is *that* much better than Kirk, that's you're opinion I'm not going to agree with). You're asking a top-10 offense to get rid of their QB to improve an NFC team.

If you want a team to do that to improve your own team, then pay two firsts. It's simple. #14 and a 2023 would be perfect. 

If you don't want to? Go pay for Darnold or Watson or draft one. Vikings hold ALL the cards and should get above market value even if it means getting out from Kirk's dumb contract if you're asking them to go back to stop-gap QB's that they've been using for 30 years before Kirk.

Minnesota isn't Detroit in terms of being in a hapless situation. Detroit IS resetting with a new GM and coaching staff where they can start over at QB as well. Minnesota is about to get 3 defensive stars back (Hunter, Barr, Pierce) to improve a young defense....we're in no position to start over at QB when it's reasonable to have a playoff push next year.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s been zero indication that the Vikings want to move on from Cousins. Sure, they may be ready to make plans for life after him, but they can also do that without getting rid of him. 

All of these “reports” revolve around the idea that Kyle Shanahan loves Cousins, and that he thinks Cousins is the QB to run his offense. If that’s the case, and the 49ers want him, then it’s going to cost San Francisco. Pure and simple. 

Which is why it's unrealistic to think there's any credibility to it.  It doesn't really make any sense from a Vikings' standpoint, unless they truly want to get out from under Cousins' contract.  The 49ers would have to pay a ransom for it to make sense based on the known...my opinion has solely been based on the assumption that the Vikings do feel about Kirk the same way the Rams felt about Goff.

Edited by swede700
1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

You're missing the point.

The Vikings have a good offense. Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, Smith. Like I said, 4th in yards, 11th in points.

You're asking for Minnesota to give up on all of that and do a hard reset at QB. Starting from scratch. Jimmy ain't it. 

I don't care what "market value" would be for Kirk (If you really want to think Stafford is *that* much better than Kirk, that's you're opinion I'm not going to agree with). You're asking a top-10 offense to get rid of their QB to improve an NFC team.

If you want a team to do that to improve your own team, then pay two firsts. It's simple. #14 and a 2023 would be perfect. 

If you don't want to? Go pay for Darnold or Watson or draft one. Vikings hold ALL the cards and should get above market value even if it means getting out from Kirk's dumb contract if you're asking them to go back to stop-gap QB's that they've been using for 30 years before Kirk.

Minnesota isn't Detroit in terms of being in a hapless situation. Detroit IS resetting with a new GM and coaching staff where they can start over at QB as well.

It's obvious that in a straight trade that yes the Vikings hold the cards, but there's no way the 49ers are going to give you the compensation you're looking for.

Just now, Danger said:

It's obvious that in a straight trade that yes the Vikings hold the cards, but there's no way the 49ers are going to give you the compensation you're looking for.

Then they can ride with Jimmy, Mullens, Bethard and finish 6-10 or pay 3x as much for Watson.

2 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Then they can ride with Jimmy, Mullens, Bethard and finish 6-10 or pay 3x as much for Watson.

Watson will cost more than Kirk, but 3x? Nah

It's a known that Watson won't play in Houston anymore. It pushes his trade value down.

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

my opinion has solely been based on the assumption that the Vikings do feel about Kirk the same way the Rams felt about Goff.

But we also know that to be unlikely, and in the scenario of trading him to SF, it’s the 49ers and their opinion of Garoppolo that is similar to the Rams and Goff. But since Garoppolo doesn’t have a contract that needs to be gotten rid of, it’s more of an asset than a burden. But that doesn’t make Cousins contract a burden, either. 

So instead of giving up a future 1st and 3rd for Stafford, and giving up a future 1st to unload Goff. Trading for Cousins would likely look like a 2021 2nd, or future 1st, and Garoppolo for Cousins.   

Why would we want Jimmy Garappolo?

He gets injured way too often and last I hear from fans we don't have the best offensive line in football.

Unlike the Rams the 49ers don't need to move him in a deal they can cut him loose whenever and I don't find him all that valuable.

3 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Why would we want Jimmy Garappolo?

He gets injured way too often and last I hear from fans we don't have the best offensive line in football.

Unlike the Rams the 49ers don't need to move him in a deal they can cut him loose whenever and I don't find him all that valuable.

As a relatively cheap stop gap.

Any move to move Kirk out of the building needs to involve bringing a QB in, and/or be followed by a move for a QB in the draft.

----------

I, for one, will believe that Kirk Cousins will be traded.... after I see that he's been traded.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I, for one, will believe that Kirk Cousins will be traded.... after I see that he's been traded.

Agreed.  I generally operate under the assumption that the Vikings will continue to want him until they've proven to believe otherwise, but play the devil's advocate when it's appropriate. 😉

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Minnesota sends 12 and 14 to Miami for 3

Jefferson, Chase, Thielen!!!

Hell, put Vike Daddy at QB and he'd throw for 4,300/30.

VD's probably more durable than Jimmy G, anyways.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228