Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm okay with this, but if SF is making the push, we need a 1st out of this either this year or next. Kirk is a much better QB than Garrapolo and he'd only be a stopgap for us.

Kirk's contract is toxic with 35M in future guarantees. I see almost no way in which that happens. If it does, I legitimately have no idea what the niners are doing. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kirk's contract is toxic with 35M in future guarantees. I see almost no way in which that happens. If it does, I legitimately have no idea what the niners are doing. 

His cap hit for the 49ers would be $21M in 2021 and $25M in 2022. Vikings maintain the prorated signing bonus ($20M) on their cap for 2021 right?

Just now, VikeManDan said:

Think I'm wrong, it looks like it would be $35M in 2022.

Correct. And it's fully guaranteed. 

Think about how people view Goff and Wentz's contracts. Both of them have less future guarantees than Kirk. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Correct. And it's fully guaranteed. 

Think about how people view Goff and Wentz's contracts. Both of them have less future guarantees than Kirk. 

The fact that it’s guaranteed is meaningless. 

If the 49ers wanted Cousins enough to trade for him, they are going to do so knowing that he’s the starter moving forward. It’s not going to be a one year “let’s see how this plays out” type of thing. If that’s what they were looking for, they’d keep Garoppolo. 

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn’t take much stock in this account if it wasn’t also the account that said the team was set to give Cousins a two year extension before that news broke. 

I would want a 1st and 2nd this year along with a 2nd next year along with Jimmy.

we don’t save that much in cap and Cousins is way better then Jimmy. 

maybe Jimmy can turn it around😎.

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

It is when teams can still convert guaranteed salary into a signing bonus and spread it out over void years. 

No...it's not. You're still paying him 35 million and can't get away from him and now you're extending him at 34 years old to spread out a guaranteed salary. 

Put him on the market with 35 million in future guarantees and your market is going to be cold. Again, that's why Goff and Wentz are considered to have crappy contracts.  Honestly, the only reason you guys would move him is if you were looking to get out from under the guarantees as well. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

No it's not. Not at all 

Yes it is. Whether it’s written in his contract, or he’s simply on the roster for game one of 2022, his contract becomes guaranteed. 

And they’re not going to trade for him if they don’t see him as their QB in 2022. 

2 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

I would want a 1st and 2nd this year along with a 2nd next year along with Jimmy.

we don’t save that much in cap and Cousins is way better then Jimmy. 

maybe Jimmy can turn it around😎.

I would actually take less than that, but a 1st this year to start, because the Vikings don't have to trade Kirk.  It has to be a Diggs' type situation where what they offer has to be too good to turn down.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

No...it's not. You're still paying him 35 million and can't get away from him and now you're extending him at 34 years old to spread out a guaranteed salary. 

Put him on the market with 35 million in future guarantees and your market is going to be cold. Again, that's why Goff and Wentz are considered to have crappy contracts.  Honestly, the only reason you guys would move him is if you were looking to get out from under the guarantees as well. 

Again, with void years, it’s not really much of an extension. Just a way to artificially spread out the cap hit to the point that only the prorated bonus remains for a few years after the player is gone.

yeah, you have to pay all the $35M eventually, but given the ways to circumvent the cap that exist, and the fact that a team trading for Cousins will likely want him for AT LEAST two years, it’s not a major deterrent. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Yes it is. Whether it’s written in his contract, or he’s simply on the roster for game one of 2022, his contract becomes guaranteed. 

And they’re not going to trade for him if they don’t see him as their QB in 2022. 

No it's not. Its vested guarantee a year in advance. You can't cut him, can only trade him. Right now its slated to be the top the #1 cap hit for you in 2022, and the #5 if you trade him. Where's your market? 

Right now, this all stems from one dude who works at Forbes (the place which employs Vincent Frank) I've never heard of, so I find this highly unlikely anyway. The 49ers keep saying they are fine with Jimmy, and we find out they were "lukewarm" on Stafford and never put in a formal offer. 

IF this has any legs, its going to be the niners saying something like, "we will take him if you want to get out from under the money". 

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Again, with void years, it’s not really much of an extension. Just a way to artificially spread out the cap hit to the point that only the prorated bonus remains for a few years after the player is gone.

yeah, you have to pay all the $35M eventually, but given the ways to circumvent the cap that exist, and the fact that a team trading for Cousins will likely want him for AT LEAST two years, it’s not a major deterrent. 

Personally, I'm not running my team like the Eagles / Saints.  The dead money comes due.  You're talking to the wrong dude with advocating that strategy because i've been b******* about it forever in the niner forums LOL. I loathe that as a strategy. I do understand it, but man oh man I hate it. This is why the Eagles are completely bombed the next 2 years. If it were just once in a while (which is more in line with what the Saints did with Brees), Id' be okay with it. But we have started getting stupid with it and doing it for everyone.