Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Forge said:

Personally, I'm not running my team like the Eagles / Saints.  The dead money comes due.  You're talking to the wrong dude with advocating that strategy because i've been b******* about it forever in the niner forums LOL. I loathe that as a strategy. I do understand it, but man oh man I hate it. This is why the Eagles are completely bombed the next 2 years. If it were just once in a while (which is more in line with what the Saints did with Brees), Id' be okay with it. But we have started getting stupid with it and doing it for everyone. 

I can absolutely agree with you there. 

• Like 2

Just now, RpMc said:

I can absolutely agree with you there. 

I seriously don't understand why teams do this for a 32 year old offensive or defensive lineman. Like really? I mean, if you just did it for your QB every few years? Okay...I don't love it, but price of doing business sometimes, so I can learn to live with it. But when I see us doing this crap for walking injuries like Kwon Alexander and Richburg....ugh...so frustrating lol

Anyone that trades for Cousins is getting him for $56M over the next two years. IMO, that is a good deal for Cousins. I can't imagine anyone trading for him seeing that as contract baggage at all similar to the Goff contract.

If a team is calling about Cousins I would listen to what they have to say but if they ever suggested they were doing me a favor by taking him off my hands I would laugh at them and hang up. Then laugh at them again with anyone that would listen to the hilarious story. 

If I was the Vikings GM and the Niners called me about trading Cousins for Garoppolo I would ask them for their first. It is going to take at least a first for the Vikings to get a reasonable replacement, and even then the middle fo teh first round pick replacement would be a pretty big question mark.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Anyone that trades for Cousins is getting him for $56M over the next two years. IMO, that is a good deal for Cousins. I can't imagine anyone trading for him seeing that as contract baggage at all similar to the Goff contract.

If a team is calling about Cousins I would listen to what they have to say but if they ever suggested they were doing me a favor by taking him off my hands I would laugh at them and hang up. Then laugh at them again with anyone that would listen to the hilarious story. 

If I was the Vikings GM and the Niners called me about trading Cousins for Garoppolo I would ask them for their first. It is going to take at least a first for the Vikings to get a reasonable replacement, and even then the middle fo teh first round pick replacement would be a pretty big question mark.

Yep. At least a 1st. 2021 1st and 2022+2023 2nds. They'd scoff at it but if someone wants him bad enough they'll give that. Vikings hold the leverage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so how do you think Cousins, or any player for that matter, feels when they know there are trade negotiations going for them? do they just see it as business? or do they take it as a sign of rejection?

On the outside, they're going to say "Ahh it's just part of the business."

On the inside, they're worrying about having to relocate their family, join a new team, new legacy, etc.

But, if they took every baseless rumor to heart, they'd go insane so I think they have a way to shut all of that down and move along but I don't think it ever goes away.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so how do you think Cousins, or any player for that matter, feels when they know there are trade negotiations going for them? do they just see it as business? or do they take it as a sign of rejection?

On some level I would have to guess that Cousins and/or his agent were expecting trade possibilities, otherwise they wouldn’t have had the no-trade clause removed in the extension. 

• Like 1

One NFL insider, Ian Rapoport, doesn’t see it happening. Rapoport joined the Pat McAfee Show where he addressed the Niners’ interest in Cousins.

Rapoport:  “I don’t sense that at all. I would never say anything is impossible as you guys know. This NFL world taught us anyone can be traded. That one I would be very surprised about. For one, I am not sure that it benefits the Vikings. I don’t know if Cousins is an upgrade over Jimmy G. When they’re both healthy, are we sure that Cousins is that big of an upgrade for what it’s going to cost?”

“But here’s what you may not know—even after San Francisco dealt a second-round pick to the Patriots for Jimmy Garoppolo, Shanahan and GM John Lynch had yet to shut the door on the idea of pursuing Cousins. Garoppolo had much to prove over the two months to follow, and the man Shanahan developed in D.C. in 2012 and ’13 lurked as an option if Tom Brady’s backup fell on his face.”

https://heavy.com/sports/san-francisco-49ers/very-surprised-if-49ers-swap-qbs-in-potential-trade-says-insider/?fbclid=IwAR2D2gKGj5vmAZCOOELITPxw748MmkJgze-BHxtJ7xzGuhGOigaLUKSu2d0