Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

17 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

I would want a 1st and 2nd this year along with a 2nd next year along with Jimmy.

we don’t save that much in cap and Cousins is way better then Jimmy. 

maybe Jimmy can turn it around😎.

Whether Cousins is better than Jimmy may not be the point.  We don't need to keep Jimmy as the QB, this is an opportunity for our QB not to be Cousins.  If that's what we want.

16 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Anyone that trades for Cousins is getting him for $56M over the next two years. IMO, that is a good deal for Cousins. I can't imagine anyone trading for him seeing that as contract baggage at all similar to the Goff contract.

If a team is calling about Cousins I would listen to what they have to say but if they ever suggested they were doing me a favor by taking him off my hands I would laugh at them and hang up. Then laugh at them again with anyone that would listen to the hilarious story. 

If I was the Vikings GM and the Niners called me about trading Cousins for Garoppolo I would ask them for their first. It is going to take at least a first for the Vikings to get a reasonable replacement, and even then the middle fo teh first round pick replacement would be a pretty big question mark.

I would try to get as much as I can, but we should also be viewing this as an opportunity not be glued to Cousins as our QB. If there's a plan in place, whether it's going after Watson or drafting someone, this might be an opportunity.

• Like 1

Chad Graff put it very well, and in line with my thinking.

Do I believe that the 49ers are interested in Cousins? Yes.

Do I believe the Vikings are in a hurry to get rid of him? No.

If they get blown away with an offer, would they consider moving him? Yes.

• Like 3

After seeing what Stafford got, no way in hell im letting Kirk go for anything less. 

2 first round picks, minimum. Kirk's been a MUCH healthier and MUCH more productive QB in his career than Stafford.

I saw a rumor that we were entertaining a 2nd, 4th, and Jimmy G. I hope not because that would be disastrous. I want nothing to do with Jimmy G, I don't wanna waste another year off Cook and Thielen's belt. Either get a ransom and go draft one of the big 3 QB's, or don't do it at all. Period. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frank Costello said:

After seeing what Stafford got, no way in hell im letting Kirk go for anything less. 

2 first round picks, minimum. Kirk's been a MUCH healthier and MUCH more productive QB in his career than Stafford.

I saw a rumor that we were entertaining a 2nd, 4th, and Jimmy G. I hope not because that would be disastrous. I want nothing to do with Jimmy G, I don't wanna waste another year off Cook and Thielen's belt. Either get a ransom and go draft one of the big 3 QB's, or don't do it at all. Period. 

Bing bang boom!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Costello said:

I would take a little less, because the situation is completely different than the Stafford-Goff situation, which was almost required to get the Lions to take on Goff's contract...but the 2nd, 4th and Garoppolo is a non-starter.   

You're right, it's a different situation. Kirk is more valuable than Stafford. So they could get back even more if the 9ers are THAT desperate for a veteran QB to take them in to the playoffs. Nothing less than two firsts because it's going to take some MAJOR ammo to trade up and get the guys we want and we still have pressing needs elsewhere. 

This whole conversation about Stafford, Cousins and Garoppolo has really shed some light on how underrated Kirk really is by casual fans.

While I consider him and Stafford Equals, Kirk is very clearly an upgrade over Garoppolo. Glossing over the fact he's only ever started one full NFL season, Garoppolo's best season (2019) he completed 69.1% of his throws for 3978 yards, 27 TDs and 13 INTs.

Cousins has had equivalent, or better seasons each of the past 4 years. And that includes a year in Washington.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

This whole conversation about Stafford, Cousins and Garoppolo has really shed some light on how underrated Kirk really is by casual fans.

While I consider him and Stafford Equals, Kirk is very clearly an upgrade over Garoppolo. Glossing over the fact he's only ever started one full NFL season, Garoppolo's best season (2019) he completed 69.1% of his throws for 3978 yards, 27 TDs and 13 INTs.

Cousins has had equivalent, or better seasons each of the past 4 years. And that includes a year in Washington.

I agree that on paper, talent wise, they are equals. But Stafford's track record of injuries significantly puts Kirk above him. Kirk has been EXCELLENT at staying healthy and starting almost every game. He is almost a little 'too safe', which is why he leaves a lot on the table in terms of scrambling, etc. But the way I see it, Kirk is definitely at least 1 notch up from Stafford, and 2-3 from Jimmy. 

• Like 1

Kirk is clearly underrated by casual fans, but in comparison to Stafford and Garoppolo, his contract is also more onerous.  His health is better than Stafford and his skills are better than Jimmy, but would I move him?  Absolutely, because he isn't the future...but I wouldn't expect to get as much as the Lions did for Stafford, because of the contract. 

The Stafford-Goff deal is an outlier, not the basis for a Cousins deal. It's that simple in my mind.  I consider a deal for Cousins to be more legitimately compared to a theoretical deal for Watson.  Obviously, Cousins wouldn't get anywhere near that potential haul, but I think that could be used as a far more reasonable comparison...Often a deal for Watson involves at minimum 3 1st rounders.  On that basis and because of his age and performance, I think the acceptable starting point for Cousins is 1 first rounder, not the 2 like Stafford got.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Kirk is clearly underrated by casual fans, but in comparison to Stafford and Garoppolo, his contract is also more onerous.  His health is better than Stafford and his skills are better than Jimmy, but would I move him?  Absolutely, because he isn't the future...but I wouldn't expect to get as much as the Lions did for Stafford, because of the contract. 

The Stafford-Goff deal is an outlier, not the basis for a Cousins deal. It's that simple in my mind.  I consider a deal for Cousins to be more legitimately compared to a theoretical deal for Watson.  Obviously, Cousins wouldn't get anywhere near that potential haul, but I think that could be used as a far more reasonable comparison...Often a deal for Watson involves at minimum 3 1st rounders.  On that basis and because of his age and performance, I think the acceptable starting point for Cousins is 1 first rounder, not the 2 like Stafford got.  

I agree. I actually think Cousins on the 49'ers roster improves their chances of returning to the Super Bowl.  Cousins on the Vikings roster doesn't improve the Vikings chances to make the playoffs or go to the Super Bowl because there are too many roster holes to fill.

1. Stafford has been on the gameday injury report for the following body parts during his career, according to pro-football-reference.com: hip (10), shoulder (8), knee (7.5 times), thumb (4), back (3), ribs (3), finger (2.5), ankle (2), groin (1), quadricep (1), arm (1), hand (1), foot (1),

That's 13 body parts for a total of 44 games, or 22.9% of all the games he could have played in.

Again, remember, Shanahan is trying to capitalize on a window that is shrinking. With the injuries to Jimmy and Stafford, a guy like Kirk makes more sense if you want to win and win now at a lower risk of injury. 

I think people are under valuing how important a QB staying healthy is. And I also think people are forgetting that it is an actual skill to stay healthy at the position and ready to go. Kirk has ALWAYS done that at a high level. Matt is a tougher QB pound for pound, but that is also his downside. 

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kirk-cousins/5105

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/matthew-stafford/2

Look at both of those charts. See a significant difference in them? I sure do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RpMc said:

Chad Graff put it very well, and in line with my thinking.

Do I believe that the 49ers are interested in Cousins? Yes.

Do I believe the Vikings are in a hurry to get rid of him? No.

If they get blown away with an offer, would they consider moving him? Yes.

Bingo. It’s no different than the Diggs situation. 

48 minutes ago, Frank Costello said:

Again, remember, Shanahan is trying to capitalize on a window that is shrinking. With the injuries to Jimmy and Stafford, a guy like Kirk makes more sense if you want to win and win now at a lower risk of injury. 

I think people are under valuing how important a QB staying healthy is. And I also think people are forgetting that it is an actual skill to stay healthy at the position and ready to go. Kirk has ALWAYS done that at a high level. Matt is a tougher QB pound for pound, but that is also his downside. 

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kirk-cousins/5105

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/matthew-stafford/2

Look at both of those charts. See a significant difference in them? I sure do. 

Cousins has also played with a heck of a lot more talent and better teams the last several years. Stafford has arguably been held back. Cousins and Stafford are in the same tier, but it seems clear that tier isn’t good enough unless youve got a loaded roster. Perhaps Stafford going to a new team, a better team, he will elevate himself. The Vikes window has closed. Why ride it out with a guy like Cousins? The smart move would be to acquire draft capital to move on, and build up the roster again by having a cheap QB.

Or if they can swing a deal for Watson, you do it. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Oh, I understand that. Taking on Goff's contract was worth at least the Rams' 2022 1st Rounder (basically a 2nd.) That's the same precedent set by the Osweiler trade from the Texans to the Browns.