Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think the we would regret trading Cousins unless it resulted in them acquiring Watson

Regret is not a name I associate with Cousins, in either acquiring him or unloading him.  I don't regret them getting him, and I wouldn't be regretting it if they unload him.

• Like 1

The cap is also a big issue with just the trade spoken of as well per over the cap trading Cousins leaves us with 20 million in dead cap and Garappolo is a 23 million dollar cap add so we tie up 43 million in QB this year and a way more injury prone player then Cousins so we aren't getting out of a payment at all.

To add to the other issue even not taking on Jimmy G we might have to use up all our premium picks that we need to fix up our O and D line to get a QB that won't make up for not fixing those lines and that does include Watson QB of the third worst recorded team in football this past season.

9 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

both are 8-8 QBs. Get Watson or tank. Idk which.

We wouldn’t come close to 8-8 with Jimmy and our roster. Shanny hides a lot of his weaknesses with quick RPOs and short routes.

That said, 8-8 with Kirk isn’t a great place to be, I agree.

Another team that might be interested in Kirk would be Indy.  They have more cap room to absorb his contract than SF (or so, I've been led to believe.)  I think they'd be willing to part with their 2021 1st round and perhaps 2 future 2nd round picks. Indy has a good offensive line, good receivers, and an exciting your RB.  Their defense is pretty good also.  Kirk might be dangerous there if he could quickly pick up the offense.

With two first round picks the Vikings could move up and perhaps be a contender for one of the top QB's in the draft.  The Vikings would likely have to "rent a veteran QB" for a year as the rookie gets ready to start.  Ryan Fitzpatrick perhaps.

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

Another team that might be interested in Kirk would be Indy.  They have more cap room to absorb his contract than SF (or so, I've been led to believe.)  I think they'd be willing to part with their 2021 1st round and perhaps 2 future 2nd round picks. Indy has a good offensive line, good receivers, and an exciting your RB.  Their defense is pretty good also.  Kirk might be dangerous there if he could quickly pick up the offense.  A modern day Y.A. Tittle.

With two first round picks the Vikings could move up and perhaps be a contender for one of the top QB's in the draft.  The Vikings would likely have to "rent a veteran QB" for a year as the rookie gets ready to start.  Ryan Fitzpatrick perhaps.

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't care what the organization does at the QB position as long as it doesn't result in us having to watch Fitzpatrick take snaps for our team. Looking at the list of available free agent QBs, I'd have to take Jameis Winston as the bridge to the rookie.

18 hours ago, swede700 said:

Regret is not a name I associate with Cousins, in either acquiring him or unloading him.  I don't regret them getting him, and I wouldn't be regretting it if they unload him.

I just see a decade of stop gaps, injuries,  and potential again

2 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

I don't care what the organization does at the QB position as long as it doesn't result in us having to watch Fitzpatrick take snaps for our team. Looking at the list of available free agent QBs, I'd have to take Jameis Winston as the bridge to the rookie.

Why such strong feelings on Fitzpatrick?

If we wouldn’t of had 4 guys hurt on defense last year, we would of made the playoffs. 

We had the 4th ranked offense in the league. What more  could we ask from Cousins? 

Free up some money and add a FA or 2 and hopefully hit on some of our draft players picks, and we will be just fine next year.

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

Why such strong feelings on Fitzpatrick?

His career qb rating and the body of work over the last 5 seasons for a 38-39 year old QB. If you're talking about flipping Cousins for picks, I suppose I'd rather roll with the rookie or let Jameis go out and throw 1 for 1 tds to ints than to watch Fitzpatrick waste the season being exactly statistically average.

38 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

His career qb rating and the body of work over the last 5 seasons for a 38-39 year old QB. If you're talking about flipping Cousins for picks, I suppose I'd rather roll with the rookie or let Jameis go out and throw 1 for 1 tds to ints than to watch Fitzpatrick waste the season being exactly statistically average.

I think Fitzpatrick, knowing he is a placeholder until the rookie is ready gives the Vikings and that rookie a wealth of veteran experience to draw upon.  Is he likely to be the guy to lead the Vikings to the promised land?  No.  Can he be a version of Alex Smith in relationship to Patrick Mahomes for a rookie quarterback...yes...if he's told that's his role.  I think the Dolphins mismanaged both Fitzpatrick and Tua...and they still won 10 games.