Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

34 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The conventional wisdom is that Rick/Zim are tied to Cousins. If Cousins fails again this year, one could argue Rick/Zim are out. Rick must see this dynamic too, so does he really want to bank on Cousins?

If Rick trades Cousins, he actually might be extending his GM window with the organization, if he sells them on a different direction. 

I’d think at some point, either decision, would be the final nail in the coffin. Admitting a mistake and trading Cousins, after so many others like Ponder, Bradford, Teddy (I know he got hurt but he’s already likely getting replaced in Carolina so how good could he have really been?). Just seems there’s no upside with Spielman. He’s probably better off banking on Cousins when comparing his abysmal track record at QB. Cousins is the best he’s found.

• Like 3

I’m having a hard time understanding why so many people want to get rid of Cousins. I mean, if the right deal came up, I would probably pull the trigger. BUT...

How can you not like a QB who in his last 30 game’s played ( 2 seasons ) has thrown for 7800 yards with 61 TD’s to 19 int’s in a “ RUN HEAVY OFFENSE “?? I gonna have to ask the question, What the hell more do you want? Cousins doesn’t call the plays, he just runs what the OC calls and is doing a fine job..

I believe we can build around him because there is no one out there better. And we are not getting Lawrence or Wilson.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d think at some point, either decision, would be the final nail in the coffin. Admitting a mistake and trading Cousins, after so many others like Ponder, Bradford, Teddy (I know he got hurt but he’s already likely getting replaced in Carolina so how good could he have really been?). Just seems there’s no upside with Spielman. He’s probably better off banking on Cousins when comparing his abysmal track record at QB. Cousins is the best he’s found.

I agree! Most GM/HC without a SB usually get 2 QBs options before getting the axe. Kirk/Zim/Rick contracts are all up in 2022 and they are tied to each other. Trading for Watson is Rick only way he can keep his job if give up on Kirk.

16 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

I’m having a hard time understanding why so many people want to get rid of Cousins. I mean, if the right deal came up, I would probably pull the trigger. BUT...

How can you not like a QB who in his last 30 game’s played ( 2 seasons ) has thrown for 7800 yards with 61 TD’s to 19 int’s in a “ RUN HEAVY OFFENSE “?? I gonna have to ask the question, What the hell more do you want? Cousins doesn’t call the plays, he just runs what the OC calls and is doing a fine job..

I believe we can build around him because there is no one out there better. And we are not getting Lawrence or Wilson.

My feeling on Cousins is this: He's a Top 8-10 QB in the NFL. He gets paid like a Top 3 QB. However, he can't elevate the guys around him like Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers and Brees (in his prime). He needs top-flight talent around him if he's going to take us to a Super Bowl. With a shrinking salary cap and no reduction in his salary, I just don't believe we can put that type of team around him. 

Unless we hit on all of our early draft picks this year (assuming those picks are some combo of DT/LG/LB/LT), I don't believe we can afford to assemble the talent Kirk needs for a Super Bowl run. 

I'm not trying to take anything away from him; when he's "on," he looks absolutely elite. His second half of the season was remarkable. But the team was playing from behind a lot. I also think he may lack that "fire" that guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers and even Phillip Rivers had. Those guys truly seem to love football. Cousins truly seems to love paychecks. 

17 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

Quarterbacks are tied to team success and the Vikings were better with Case Keemun and Teddy Bridgewater. That doesn’t mean I think those are better quarterbacks than Kirk, but it does mean I’m willing to consider the possibility of reformulating the team. Lower investment at QB and higher investment elsewhere, or even the other way, where we go all in for someone like Watson.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Quarterbacks are tied to team success and the Vikings were better with Case Keemun and Teddy Bridgewater. That doesn’t mean I think those are better quarterbacks than Kirk, but it does mean I’m willing to consider the possibility of reformulating the team. Lower investment at QB and higher investment elsewhere, or even the other way, where we go all in for someone like Watson.

Watson won't waive his clause to play for Minnesota .

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

That is interesting. It contradicts previous reports that I read.

If it’s true, then it easily exposes Watson’s hand. 

If there are teams out there that Watson won’t waive his NTC for, then he doesn’t want to get out of Houston that bad. And if he doesn’t want out that bad, there’s absolutely zero reason for Houston to trade him. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If it’s true, then it easily exposes Watson’s hand. 

If there are teams out there that Watson won’t waive his NTC for, then he doesn’t want to get out of Houston that bad. And if he doesn’t want out that bad, there’s absolutely zero reason for Houston to trade him. 

Well it's a long off season (still couple months before draft), maybe he prefers to go somewhere warm, no point in waving NTC to certain teams yet. Maybe he has advised Houston of some preferred destinations (in efforts that those teams help orchestrate a deal). He could always waive the NTC down the line.