Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Never gonna happen, but yes, I would.

I don’t think I would. 

DeShaun Watson is fun to watch and very talented. But he alone is not enough to win. Clearly evidenced by the Texans finishing 4-12, despite Watson’s tremendous year. 

You may have Watson. But leaving yourself with only 1 pick in the first two rounds over the next three years pretty much guts your chance to build a team around him. And then you’re right back to where you are today. 

The Houston Texans have DeShaun Watson, no cap space, and no draft picks. Leaving them with a bleak looking future. 

Trading for Watson would leave the team with DeShaun Watson, no cap space, and no draft picks. What is there to lead belief that the team’s future would look any different than Houston’s?

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think I would. 

DeShaun Watson is fun to watch and very talented. But he alone is not enough to win. Clearly evidenced by the Texans finishing 4-12, despite Watson’s tremendous year. 

You may have Watson. But leaving yourself with only 1 pick in the first two rounds over the next three years pretty much guts your chance to build a team around him. And then you’re right back to where you are today. 

As far as I'm concerned, offensively, the Vikings aren't that far away and the talent around Watson would be far better than what he had in Houston, especially once Hopkins was traded away.  The lack of talent around Watson offensively is what made them 4-12.  The Vikings wouldn't be suffering from that, as they have Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, and Smith.  In Houston, he had a subpar Brandin Cooks, Will Fuller, David Johnson and Darren Fells.  While both teams fell off dramatically at defense, the Vikings have Zimmer and far more promising young pieces on defense than what Houston had. 

I'd be willing take just a 2022 1st rd pick in the next 2 years over the first 2 rds, because knowing how Spielman works the board, he'd probably be able to turn that 1st round pick into 2 or 3 additional picks...and being that Watson's only 25 years old, you wouldn't have to address that position hopefully, for the next 8-10 years minimum.  

For the sake of money moving in, and moving out.

Vikings move out - Kirk Cousins (opens $11M), Anthony Barr (opens $7.26M),  Alexander Mattison (opens up $644K)

Vikings bring in - Deshaun Watson ($10.54M in 2021)

To me, there's ZERO reason the 2nd round picks should be in there.  Vikings are essentially throwing three first round picks their way, plus two capable players  Two this year (ours and the first for Cousins being flipped to SF), and one in 2023

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

For the sake of money moving in, and moving out.

Vikings move out - Kirk Cousins (opens $11M), Anthony Barr (opens $7.26M),  Alexander Mattison (opens up $644K)

Vikings bring in - Deshaun Watson ($10.54M in 2021)

To me, there's ZERO reason the 2nd round picks should be in there.  Vikings are essentially throwing three first round picks their way, plus two capable players  Two this year (ours and the first for Cousins being flipped to SF), and one in 2023

But it's probably even more important about the money that they're saving in 2022, because they would be, as Watson's cap number would be less than Cousins...and then adding in Barr's savings on top of that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

But it's probably even more important about the money that they're saving in 2022, because they would be, as Watson's cap number would be less than Cousins...and then adding in Barr's savings on top of that.

There's no difference in their 2022 cap numbers, both base salaries are 35M, but we would save on Barr.

Base salaries are the same but we wouldn't have the signing bonus on the cap for Cousins (facepalm on my part)

Edited by RpMc
idioth

25 minutes ago, Freakout said:

The 49ers are the winners of that deal.  They get the QB they want and only give up a single 1st while dumping Jimmy G?

I like Watson but not for 2 1sts and 2 2nds AND Barr.

The fact that they are giving up a first to swap out Jimmy G for Cousins...I wouldn't necessarily call that a win.  

6 minutes ago, RpMc said:

There's no difference in their 2022 cap numbers, both base salaries are 35M, but we would save on Barr.

Base salaries are the same but we wouldn't have the signing bonus on the cap for Cousins (facepalm on my part)

That's right...that was my thinking as Cousins' bonus would no longer be on the cap, which is where the savings would come in. For me, that's a no-brainer and still would be worth the 2nd rounders especially with Barr's savings on top of that.  Of course, Spielman would lose some of the flexibility he likes with the draft picks, but that would just require him to draft a little better...at least better than he did in '08 when he only had a 2nd rd and 2 5ths and 6ths where the only player of substance he got was Sullivan.   

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think I would. 

The Houston Texans have DeShaun Watson, no cap space, and no draft picks. Leaving them with a bleak looking future. 

Trading for Watson would leave the team with DeShaun Watson, no cap space, and no draft picks. What is there to lead belief that the team’s future would look any different than Houston’s?

I agree with you. Most would swing for the fences and I understand that, but I believe this team can win with Cousins so long as they hit with their draft picks the next few years. If there's any doubt or rather for insurance purposes, this team could possibly draft Trey Lance and give Cousins a 2 year window. The Vikings could still trade up with all those mid round picks to get a 2nd and fill the 3T or IOL with a day 1 starter. Not saying I'd do that, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

The team doesn't need to trade for Watson. And they shouldn't. They need to draft their QBOTF this year or next and concentrate on putting talent around him to succeed when he takes the wheel. Signing Watson is going to eat up 15% of our cap space when we have to give him a new deal. He isn't Mahomes, Brady, Rogers or Wilson. Trading for him means we won't have money or draft picks to make the team around him better. 

• Like 2

I have been on the get rid of Cousins train. But there's really not a lot of better options. I'm personally fine with drafting until we get it right. But honestly at this point we better get a first and a half at least for us to even consider it. If a teams gonna trade their starting qb for no reason the price is two firsts minimum.

Edited by HeydudemanG

8 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

The team doesn't need to trade for Watson. And they shouldn't. They need to draft their QBOTF this year or next and concentrate on putting talent around him to succeed when he takes the wheel. Signing Watson is going to eat up 15% of our cap space when we have to give him a new deal. He isn't Mahomes, Brady, Rogers or Wilson. Trading for him means we won't have money or draft picks to make the team around him better. 

He already has a new deal.  The Vikings wouldn't have to even talk to him about anything new until 2024 at the earliest.

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He already has a new deal.  The Vikings wouldn't have to even talk to him about anything new until 2024 at the earliest.

My point stands. His salary next year is 35 million. If the cap goes to $200 million, that's 17.5% tied up in one player. That's too much for someone not named Mahomes, Rogers or Wilson. 

Edited by wcblack34