Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Typically that's considered above average but OK.

1. Mahomes

2. Rodgers

3. Brady

4. Wilson

5. Allen

6. Watson

7. Tannehill

8. Carr

9. Jackson

10. Stafford

11. Mayfield

12. Herbert

13. Murray

14. Roethlisberger

15. Burrows

16. Brees - retired

17. Rivers - retired

Cousins is in the next group with Goff, Fitzpatrick and Ryan IMO.

Anyhow have a good day! 

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

1. Mahomes

2. Rodgers

3. Brady

4. Wilson

5. Allen

6. Watson

7. Tannehill

8. Carr

9. Jackson

10. Stafford

11. Mayfield

12. Herbert

13. Murray

14. Roethlisberger

15. Burrows

16. Brees - retired

17. Rivers - retired

Cousins is in the next group with Goff, Fitzpatrick and Ryan IMO.

Anyhow have a good day! 

Derek Carr at #8 is hilarious.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Typically that's considered above average but OK.

15 out of 32 starting QBs seems pretty average to me. I’d certainly consider there to be more than one average starting QB. I’d personally put Cousins in the 10-12 grouping, which to me is more truly above average. 

Than you work into that top 10 of great or typical franchise caliber QBs and then the elite grouping which is reserved to maybe just Mahomes, Brady and Rodgers right now. 

57 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Derek Carr at #8 is hilarious.

The entire list is hysterical. Any time you see someone try to put Carr and Stafford in the top 10, yet omit Cousins, it should tell you all you need to know. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

15 out of 32 starting QBs seems pretty average to me. I’d certainly consider there to be more than one average starting QB. I’d personally put Cousins in the 10-12 grouping, which to me is more truly above average. 

Than you work into that top 10 of great or typical franchise caliber QBs and then the elite grouping which is reserved to maybe just Mahomes, Brady and Rodgers right now. 

That falls similarly to what I believe.  Here's where I'd put the ranges:

#1-#4 Best of the best (HOF level)

#5-#8 Franchise-level, but not HOF-level

#9-#14 Above Average

#15-#20 Average

#21-#25 Below Average

#26- Shouldn't probably even be starting

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The entire list is hysterical. 

I agree, but that one stuck out to me more than some of the others, but the entire list, especially probably from Tannehill on down is a trainwreck.

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That wasn't in order! Sorry, I didn't clarify that point. Just guys I thought we're better than Cousins. 

Fair enough...but even in that case, Carr is nowhere near better than Cousins.  Carr has been in the same class as Cousins for the last couple of years, but he had that awful stretch in 2017 and 2018 that Cousins really hasn't had.  I'd personally put Tannehill, Carr, Cousins and Stafford (and probably even Mayfield) all in the same range.  I can't put Kyler Murray above him...yes, he's certainly more mobile than Cousins, but I've just never been impressed with him.  And right now, Roethlisberger is a below average QB.  He's pretty much done.  And Herbert has only done it for 1 year.  Talk to me again after this year and we'll see.  

But where's Matt Ryan and Dak Prescott on your list? They're at least in the same class, if not above Cousins too...

I'd put Cousins in the 12 to 15 range of starting QB's.  While, at times, he looks like a top ten QB, it's usually against pretty poor defenses and everything on offense is clicking.  To be an upper echelon QB in this league, you have to perform great consistently, and at times, put the team on your back when other parts of the team are having a tough time...such as Mahomes in the Super Bowl against the 49'ers.  To me, Mahomes is the best Quarterback in the league, with Russell, Watson and Rodgers in a group that can carry their team to victory.  After them are some stellar athletes...Jackson, Murray, etc...then comes the group that Cousins is part of.  But there is a pretty wide gap...in my opinion...between the greats...the athletes...then everyone else.  Thankfully, even though he's still the best big game QB, Tom Brady can no longer do it consistently, game in and game out.  But he will SHOW up for the Super Bowl.

And for the record, 12 to 15 is a lot higher than I rated Cousins during his first two seasons in Minnesota.  I give him credit, he has improved...but, he still needs everyone else around him to be playing steller.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Top 15 from my understanding usually means one is ranked 11-15, not just 15. I think I have him as 13 or 14 overall.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Fair enough...but even in that case, Carr is nowhere near better than Cousins.  Carr has been in the same class as Cousins for the last couple of years, but he had that awful stretch in 2017 and 2018 that Cousins really hasn't had.  I'd personally put Tannehill, Carr, Cousins and Stafford (and probably even Mayfield) all in the same range.  I can't put Kyler Murray above him...yes, he's certainly more mobile than Cousins, but I've just never been impressed with him.  And right now, Roethlisberger is a below average QB.  He's pretty much done.  And Herbert has only done it for 1 year.  Talk to me again after this year and we'll see.  

But where's Matt Ryan and Dak Prescott on your list? They're at least in the same class, if not above Cousins too...

I went off of last year and do believe I had Ryan in the group with Cousins. Dak, is like Cousins IMO, puts up a lot of stats but doesn't win. I'm not going to argue if you disagree with a few. It's all opinion based, and you have yours and I have mine. Mind you, from a standpoint of a fan of another team. I'll admit I could have a little bias but I don't see Cousins as a winner. 

Good luck this season! 

I am comfortable with placing Cousins around 16/32 .... just merely average.
We did not upgrade the QB position this offseason. 

Tier 1: 1. Mahomes 2. Brady 3. Rodgers

Tier 2: 4. Wilson 5. Allen 6. Murray 7. Watson

Tier 3: 8. Jackson 9. Burrows 10. Herbert 11. Dak

Tier 4: 12. Stafford 13. Tannehill 14. Mayfield

Tier 5: 15. Cousins 16. Carr 17. Roethlisberger 18. Ryan 19. Goff 20. Newton 21. Grappollo, 22. Wentz 

Rookies and Hurts unlisted for now. 

Edited by CriminalMind