Jump to content

Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This franchise has been waiting for a franchise QB since Fran Tarkenton. After Kirk, it's unproven project Kellen Mond currently QB1.

Do we still move on from Kirk when we can or do we hope he takes a more team friendly deal? We're not losing because of him as he's put his team in position to win in at least 2 of our 3 losses and things would be *a lot* worse without him i.e. 1-4 with the season over before week six.

Buuuuut we can't be stuck in cap hell for the next half decade either.

If Kirk came back on a team friendly deal, I wouldn’t be opposed. But we can’t pay him like a Top 5 QB again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want him back.  I will root for him because he's dressed in purple and gold, but I think the Vikings can do better and cheaper at the position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't want him back.  I will root for him because he's dressed in purple and gold, but I think the Vikings can do better and cheaper at the position.

Well, we can definitely do cheaper. “Better” remains to be seen. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't want him back.  I will root for him because he's dressed in purple and gold, but I think the Vikings can do better and cheaper at the position.

Based on the last season of games, this remains to be seen. The last season of play he’s a top 8 QB being held back by a mostly bad team. Of course there’s room for improvement but I don’t think you can ask much more from Cousins at this stage. He’s handicapped by an offensive philosophy that’s outdated yet can’t afford mistakes because the defense has generally been unreliable the past year. 
 

Id love to draft a replacement that’s cheaper and luck into a Mahomes. I don’t think this front office is bold enough to make such a move. That’s clearly evident this year with the supposed interest in Justin Fields.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousins is playing well...for Cousins. Yet, I don't believe there is any chance whatsoever he leads the Vikings to a Super Bowl victory...none!  I would love to eat my words.  He just doesn't strike me as the leader this team needs.  That "You like that?" moment on the sideline Sunday just seemed over the top and phony to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m predicting a 2 year, $60M extension for Cousins this offseason.

As has been mentioned, it will all come down to what happens with the administration...if they are all gone, that likely won't happen.  If they remain in place, it's possible, especially with the youthful mistrust that Mond has already developed with this coaching staff.  These 2 yr deals are really just year to year deals, which sort of correspond with coaching contracts...enough to appease the QB, but not long enough to hamstring the organization for any particular long length of time.  Also, Kirk just turned 33, so this really is his prime, but his arm could fall off at any time, and he doesn't have the requisite upper echelon skills to play long after that happens. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As has been mentioned, it will all come down to what happens with the administration...if they are all gone, that likely won't happen.  If they remain in place, it's possible, especially with the youthful mistrust that Mond has already developed with this coaching staff.  These 2 yr deals are really just year to year deals, which sort of correspond with coaching contracts...enough to appease the QB, but not long enough to hamstring the organization for any particular long length of time.  Also, Kirk just turned 33, so this really is his prime, but his arm could fall off at any time, and he doesn't have the requisite upper echelon skills to play long after that happens. 

I disagree that it’s dependent on the administration. Even for a new front office/coaching staff, Cousins is a perfect veteran QB to keep until you can find what you’re looking for in a long term QB. Especially if they find themselves in the middle of the pack come draft time. 

It reminds me of how Andy Reid brought in Alex Smith when he first arrived in KC. Smith gave Reid a baseline at the QB position, a player he could trust, and a player that allowed him to build the team until he found exactly what he was looking for in a QB prospect. And even then, he wasn’t reliant on the young QB to play until he was ready.

Cousins would do the same thing here for a new staff. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still believe it's dependent.  If we were to have seen a Alex Smith-type situation, I believe it would have already happened with Cousins 3 yrs ago when they could have done it with Lamar Jackson.  I don't view that occurring any longer.  I think with Cousins under a new administration, they would let him walk after the 1 year...I don't think they'd extend him without seeing him in their system (although they certainly could)

The difference with Alex Smith is that they traded for him with 2 yrs still left on his deal, so they got a full year out of him before they needed to even make a decision on whether to extend him.  They wouldn't have that luxury with Cousins...and depending upon what happens elsewhere with other QBs, potentially they could have an option to pick up some other veteran QB that can fill the gap, as scheduled to be free agents (unless there is an option to be picked up) also are guys like Jimmy G, Derek Carr, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock and Gardner Minshew...and they'd all probably come cheaper (even Carr).  While they won't give you the same production, they could certainly get you by (except for maybe Lock).    

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I disagree that it’s dependent on the administration. Even for a new front office/coaching staff, Cousins is a perfect veteran QB to keep until you can find what you’re looking for in a long term QB. Especially if they find themselves in the middle of the pack come draft time. 

It reminds me of how Andy Reid brought in Alex Smith when he first arrived in KC. Smith gave Reid a baseline at the QB position, a player he could trust, and a player that allowed him to build the team until he found exactly what he was looking for in a QB prospect. And even then, he wasn’t reliant on the young QB to play until he was ready.

Cousins would do the same thing here for a new staff. 

Cousins is significantly better then Alex Smith was in Kansas City.  And that's coming from someone who is highly critical of Kirk Cousins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Cousins is significantly better then Alex Smith was in Kansas City.  And that's coming from someone who is highly critical of Kirk Cousins.

I agree that he's better than Smith, but they've certainly had similar experiences as it comes to offensive coordinator changes.  Probably both of them, along with Jason Campbell, saw more offensive coordinator changes in their careers than any QBs I can ever recall in the time I've been watching football.  

However, that doesn't change my viewpoint in the event of an administration change.  I think any new administration would be hesitant to extend Kirk sight-unseen.  They may still decide to do it, but my money would still be on them letting the final year play out and then letting him walk away.  

Edited by swede700
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 8:35 AM, Virginia Viking said:

Cousins is playing well...for Cousins. Yet, I don't believe there is any chance whatsoever he leads the Vikings to a Super Bowl victory...none!  I would love to eat my words.  He just doesn't strike me as the leader this team needs.  That "You like that?" moment on the sideline Sunday just seemed over the top and phony to me.

Eli, Joe Flacco, and Trent Dilfer are all Super Bowl winning QBs. None of them are any more firey than Cousins, and he’s arguably a better QB. 
 

The Vikings absolutely can win a Super Bowl with Cousins, but he needs a lower salary or we can’t put that type of deep, complete team around him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Eli, Joe Flacco, and Trent Dilfer are all Super Bowl winning QBs. None of them are any more firey than Cousins, and he’s arguably a better QB. 
 

The Vikings absolutely can win a Super Bowl with Cousins, but he needs a lower salary or we can’t put that type of deep, complete team around him. 

I am glad you're confident.  I wish I could be.  But I don't trust him to win big games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...