Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

What has also been a positive from Cousins (knock on wood) is that from what I’ve seen, which certainly hasn’t been every play, is that Cousins hasn’t really made any dumb/careless decisions. 

I can’t think of any plays where he got away with one, such as a dropped interception.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

What has also been a positive from Cousins (knock on wood) is that from what I’ve seen, which certainly hasn’t been every play, is that Cousins hasn’t really made any dumb/careless decisions. 

I can’t think of any plays where he got away with one, such as a dropped interception.

He's done that less and less every year he's been here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I like seeing the positives about Cousins,  but done of these stats are starting to feel cherry picked

They are very cherry-picked.  When you have to say this and this and this and this happen, then you're really trying hard.  

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

They are very cherry-picked.  When you have to say this and this and this and this happen, then you're really trying hard.  

Cousins passes the eye test this year. With flying colors. The stats are starting to come in line with that. It's time to give him his due. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Cousins passes the eye test this year. With flying colors. The stats are starting to come in line with that. It's time to give him his due. 

Don't want to, can't make me!!!  Just kidding.  There is no doubt that Cousins is playing the best football of his career.  But, there's a lot of season left...I'm not quite ready to send him to the Hall of Fame just yet.  If he can lead this team to a Super Bowl victory, then I will gladly give him his due, and admit that I've been a horse's *** since he arrived in Minnesota.  But, that's what it's going to take for me to stop being a critic.  Yes, he's playing well.  Let's see what that and his ability to be a leader amounts to. 

32 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If he can lead this team to a Super Bowl victory, then I will gladly give him his due, and admit that I've been a horse's *** since he arrived in Minnesota.  But, that's what it's going to take for me to stop being a critic.  Yes, he's playing well.  Let's see what that and his ability to be a leader amounts to. 

How many QBs in the history of the NFL have led their team to a super bowl victory? 

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

How many QBs in the history of the NFL have led their team to a super bowl victory? 

Enough have.  The sad truth is that no quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings in the 60 plus year history of the franchise has accomplished the task.  In that time, we have seen 3 different quarterbacks lead the Green Bay Packers to four Super Bowl wins.  We also know that one Chicago Bears quarterback has led them to a Super Bowl victory.  So in our own division we have the same number of Super Bowl victories as the Detroit Lions!  Yes, the Vikings can say that they have been to four Super Bowls, and the Lions have never made it...but, that really doesn't make me feel any better.  

Some franchises have Super Bowl wins with different quarterbacks, not just the Packers.  Add the 49'ers, the Cowboys, the Ravens, the team from Washington, DC, the Broncos, the Colts (albeit in two different cities), the Steelers, the Buccaneers, and the Chiefs to that list. 

Joe Montana won three times with SF, Terry Bradshaw won four Lombardi's and we all know that Brady has won 6 rings between the Patriots and the Bucs.  

I am just asking the Vikings to go and win their first!  Nothing else really matters to me as a fan of the franchise. 

I don't care about playoff appearances anymore if they aren't going to end with hoisting Lombardi trophies during victory parades in Minneapolis!  I am soon turning 61 years old.  I am tired of waiting. 

Can someone...anyone, including Cousins, currently on the Vikings roster of players lead this team to the promised land?  Not so far.  Where is the urgency among current players, coaches, front office, ownership, even fans?  I don't see much urgency, to tell the truth.  It seems to me that most are satisfied with being "competitive" from time to time.  Not me...I suspect that there are others on this board. 

Don't give me a just a competitive team that can have a playoff appearance every other season.  Give me a front office, a coach, a quarterback, a roster that will win the Super Bowl.  Nothing else matters.  Nothing else counts. Nothing else interests me. 

All I want is for the Vikings to at least have the same number of Lombardi's as the Seahawks, Bears, Saints, Rams and Jets for goodness sake!  Would I like more?  You bet.  But let them get their first!!!!  Please!!

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

It's not about giving him his due.  I've acknowledged many times that he's better than people give him credit for, but you can't deny that it's a little over the top in trying to give him credit by cherry-picking stats to try and prove it (although I understand why it's done in his particular case).

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Enough have.  The sad truth is that no quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings in the 60 plus year history of the franchise has accomplished the task.  In that time, we have seen 3 different quarterbacks lead the Green Bay Packers to four Super Bowl wins.  We also know that one Chicago Bears quarterback has led them to a Super Bowl victory.  So in our own division we have the same number of Super Bowl victories as the Detroit Lions!  Yes, the Vikings can say that they have been to four Super Bowls, and the Lions have never made it...but, that really doesn't make me feel any better.  

Some franchises have Super Bowl wins with different quarterbacks, not just the Packers.  Add the 49'ers, the Cowboys, the Ravens, the team from Washington, DC, the Broncos, the Colts (albeit in two different cities), the Steelers, the Buccaneers, and the Chiefs to that list. 

Joe Montana won three times with SF, Terry Bradshaw won four Lombardi's and we all know that Brady has won 6 rings between the Patriots and the Bucs.  

I am just asking the Vikings to go and win their first!  Nothing else really matters to me as a fan of the franchise. 

I don't care about playoff appearances anymore if they aren't going to end with hoisting Lombardi trophies during victory parades in Minneapolis!  I am soon turning 61 years old.  I am tired of waiting. 

Can someone...anyone, including Cousins, currently on the Vikings roster of players lead this team to the promised land?  Not so far.  Where is the urgency among current players, coaches, front office, ownership, even fans?  I don't see much urgency, to tell the truth.  It seems to me that most are satisfied with being "competitive" from time to time.  Not me...I suspect that there are others on this board. 

Don't give me a just a competitive team that can have a playoff appearance every other season.  Give me a front office, a coach, a quarterback, a roster that will win the Super Bowl.  Nothing else matters.  Nothing else counts. Nothing else interests me. 

All I want is for the Vikings to at least have the same number of Lombardi's as the Seahawks, Bears, Saints, Rams and Jets for goodness sake!  Would I like more?  You bet.  But let them get their first!!!!  Please!!

I just googled it and 29 quarterbacks have won the super bowl.  That means that a lot of very good QBs have never won the super bowl.  

Every one wants a super bowl win but it's not as simple as flipping a switch to find the QB and coach that can get it done.  There's a good chance that the Vikings wouldn't have even won the Super Bowl with Tom Brady last year

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's not about giving him his due.  I've acknowledged many times that he's better than people give him credit for, but you can't deny that it's a little over the top in trying to give him credit by cherry-picking stats to try and prove it (although I understand why it's done in his particular case).

Which stats are cherry picked? He’s having a really great start to this season. Only really good/HOF QBs have had high production/low turnover starts like this. It’s less about the numbers and more about the  kind of performances he’s had so far.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Over the past two season, Kirk Cousins has played at a near-elite level. The stats, overall, reflect that. He most certainly has not been the problem with this team over that time. There is an argument that his contract is an issue, but it’s the going rate. You pay it, or you roll the dice on first round QBs. I’m not opposed to that at all (as my posting history will back up), but you can’t say definitively that there are 8 QBs playing better than Kirk Cousins has since the start of last season. That’s not cherry-picking stats. It’s evident from his game-tape. 

• Like 3