Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

• 3 weeks later...

There's nothing I've seen from Fields so far that says "Long Term Solution." He definitely has the tools, but nothing about his play to date suggests that he's going to put those all together. That said, he's young and there's definitely time to turn it around if the Bears don't completely ruin him. 

On 12/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, wcblack34 said:

There's nothing I've seen from Fields so far that says "Long Term Solution." He definitely has the tools, but nothing about his play to date suggests that he's going to put those all together. That said, he's young and there's definitely time to turn it around if the Bears don't completely ruin him. 

That's probably more on Nagy than it is on Fields. Trust me, he'll look like a superstar on Monday.

On 12/13/2021 at 7:47 AM, wcblack34 said:

This is definitely Nagy being a square peg round hole kind of coach. The hand wringing over Dalton and splitting reps and developing a generally terrible offensive game plan that doesn’t play to the strengths of his personnel is sort of out of Fields’s control… If he were suiting up for the Rams, the Bills, or the Browns, I think we’d have seen a lot more progress by now.

Chicago is still where QBs go to die.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:09 AM, Guest said:

Yes. If he hadn't won a Super Bowl, I would be more hesitant with my answer.  I have also been reflecting on Fran Tarkenton.  He had the most elite stats of any quarterback when he retired.  But, he went to three Super Bowls and stunk.  I can no longer consider him elite as he didn't show it on the biggest stage.  If Elway hadn't won late in his career, I think I would consider him a really good quarterback who couldn't complete the deal.

Someone aske me about Dan Marino recently.  He is a really good quarterback who also owned all the records at retirement.  But, in my mind, his lack of playoff success and no Super Bowl win, takes a lot of the shine off of his records.  Tarkenton's shine is even less bright.

wowsers.

• 3 weeks later...

Can’t disagree about the lack of inspiration. 

I think that has been a massive issue with this pairing of Cousins and Zimmer. Players probably like Cousins. He’s a nice guy. He does his job well. Mike Zimmer is a nice guy. Players probably like and respect him. 

But I certainly can’t say that either inspire their players. And for the two most important leaders on the team to lack the ability to inspire, that’s a problem. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

While we saw how the absence of Cousins affected the VIkings tonight, I think most of us can agree with this guy.

There are some Washington fans that still miss Kirk Cousins — and in fairness, he’s the best the franchise had for a long time, though that’s really more about the franchise than about him — but most of us have come to see him for what he is. 

Some wanted him gone before he actually left. I think most of us were sorta torn — we saw the flaws and the blown opportunities, but honestly (again) deep down we kinda thought it was more about the team than about him. I genuinely thought that when he joined up with that roster you all had at that time, a ring seemed like a pretty good chance. 

And then it was all the same stuff. Groundhog’s day, deja vu, the same movie just purpler. The early leads that never get built on. The aimless 3 and outs. The drives that stall on the brink of FG range. The plays you can’t believe he didn’t audible out of. The inexplicable chuck-and-duck blind prayer throws with the game on the line. The weak grip on the ball anytime he gets sacked. The prime-time shellackings. The mind numbing lapses in judgment. And one after another, the losses that leave you scratching your head, wondering how it happened. 

All of that sandwiched around genuine brilliance a lot of the time. The numbers were amazing for us, and they’ve been just as good for you all. He can wing it, he’s got touch, he can drop an absolutely beautiful ball from about 20-35 yards, maybe a top 2-3 QB in the league at dropping dimes in the fountain from that distance. But inevitably at the end of the season, you look back and wonder how you ended up at .500 and you think...”it can’t be Kirk, look at his numbers, it’s gotta be something else.” And you find a scapegoat, whether it’s bad OL play or coaching or injuries or a bad kicker or a defense that didn’t hold up its end of the bargain. 

But it’s him. 

And the dude in the video kinda hits it on the head. Because honestly, I believe that on a lot of levels, Kirk feels good tonight. It honestly went just the way he planned it when he secretly dressed up as Santa and went to that ICU and asked all the patients to take off their masks and whisper their Christmas wishes into his ear (or nose or mouth, that would be even better).** The Vikings got stomped without him, and everybody will think better of him. It will open up more opportunities for him to extract money from MIN or from some other team that might trade for him. And he got to avoid the absolute likelihood that he would have laid yet another egg in a huge moment. Couldn’t have gone better for him. 

Our franchises have a lot in common, especially in terms of feeling like we’re cursed and constantly finding ways to shoot ourselves in the foot. I hope you all do the wise thing and send this guy off to some other franchise. Yes, you’ll get worse in the short-term (we sure did). Yes, you’ll have to hit on your efforts to find a replacement (we sure didn’t, with Smith or with Haskins). But you can’t win with this guy. At least...we can’t. Maybe some place where winning is the expectation and the tradition, and where they already believe they can do it — maybe Kirk could walk in there and not screw things up and learn how to win. But for franchises like ours, where we already expect to lose and are just waiting to see how it happens? He’s the guy who will further that curse, not break it. 

[** - Dramatization, probably did not actually happen exactly like that]

• Like 1