Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Like I’ve said, Spielman won’t be picking a new QB. If Cousins fails, he’s likely to be out of a job. If Cousins continues to lead the team to playoff wins, Spielman probably retires/resigns before Cousins does. 

As for Watson vs Cousins, there is a 7 year age gap, Watson is just 24. Based on how he’s played so far, you’d expect the ceiling to be higher long term.

The Vikes have regularly had a super bowl caliber roster, at least the last 2-3 seasons. Have the Chiefs been vastly more talented over the years? No. The Chiefs have had some bad defenses over the years. 

Regularly have had a super bowl roster?  Yet we haven’t had a Top-15 OL in years?

Yeah, no. 

As far as KC’s defense... they gave up 0.8 more points/game than MIN’s defense in ‘19. 10th in ppg vs 6th. 

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 1:25 PM, Duff Man said:

I don’t think “hitching oneself” to Cousins is a doomed strategy at all, that’s insanely pessimistic. 

Seriously guys, we just won a playoff game with a terrible OL and interior DL.  No WR #3 or #4.  Weak secondary.  This team has 12 picks coming into the draft, if we can get MEDIOCRE OL and DL play this season the sky is the limit. 

I don’t see another Mahomes coming out anytime soon. I think if we trade up for any QB (at least this year) we’ll be left with someone closer to Trubisky than Mahomes. Let’s ask Chicago how mortgaging their future for a QB turned out for them. They’re actively wasting a generational defense because they struck out in the draft. Imagine how much more successful that team would be with Cousins, even with a few extra $ going to Cousins’ contract. 

Well, maybe I am insanely pessimistic, but I think it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the Vikings will "earn" a top 10 pick without needing to trade up.  To your point, yes, the Vikings won a playoff game with a terrible OL, DL and without a WR's 3 an 4, plus a week secondary. The Vikings have lost even more during free agency.

Let's say that the Vikings do well in the draft.  There will still be significant holes in the roster.  There is not a WR in this draft that will pick up Digg's production in their rookie year, nor is there a WR currently on the roster that is likely to step up significantly.  The OLine is likely to still be a mess, and can Spielman replace 3 starting cornerbacks in one draft?  I surely don't trust Hill, Boyd and Hughes to be as productive as the secondary has been in the past.

I am expecting a decline in both the defense and the offense.  Sorry to say, I don't have a lot of optimism for the 2020 Vikings. 

5 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Well, maybe I am insanely pessimistic, but I think it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the Vikings will "earn" a top 10 pick without needing to trade up.  To your point, yes, the Vikings won a playoff game with a terrible OL, DL and without a WR's 3 an 4, plus a week secondary. The Vikings have lost even more during free agency.

Let's say that the Vikings do well in the draft.  There will still be significant holes in the roster.  There is not a WR in this draft that will pick up Digg's production in their rookie year, nor is there a WR currently on the roster that is likely to step up significantly.  The OLine is likely to still be a mess, and can Spielman replace 3 starting cornerbacks in one draft?  I surely don't trust Hill, Boyd and Hughes to be as productive as the secondary has been in the past.

I am expecting a decline in both the defense and the offense.  Sorry to say, I don't have a lot of optimism for the 2020 Vikings. 

Yeah, I’m definitely not worried about the majority of our losses. Rhodes was one of the worst starting CBs in the NFL last season. Waynes and Alexander are very average, although slot CB is a tough position to replace.  I see a lot of CB talent in this draft.  Gladney in the 1st and Robertson or Holmes in the 3rd would make me very confident with the CBs moving forward.  

Joseph was banged up and not himself this season, and we signed his replacement who looks to be pretty good

Losing Griffen hurts, but what did you really expect?  He’s already in his 30s and Odenigbo has played great in spot duty. 

Josh Kline had significant concussion issues last season and missed a lot of time. We have Samia behind him who can hopefully step in and play well if a direct replacement in the draft isn’t found. 

Of course we will probably not find a player of Diggs caliber to replace him, but there is certainly a lot of WR talent in this draft. 

Turnover happens in the NFL all the time, I think they can certainly be competitive with a solid draft this year. I saw one of the best case scenario’s for us in a 3-round mock draft on this forum:

22:  K’lavon Chaisson

25:  Jeff Gladney

R2:  Netane Muti

R3:  Ben Bartch

R3: Tyler Johnson  

would be thrilled with something along these lines!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:30 AM, Duff Man said:

-The vikings were 6th in ppg on defense

-Thielen was hurt most of the season 

-Dalvin Cook didn’t do much after October

-Kyle Rudoloph is 30 years old and runs a flat-5 40. Good blocker and RZ target, but nobody that I would use in an argument against Cousins.

-Is 26 TDs & 6 INTs not “performing” well enough for you?  Thats the best season a QB has had in MIN in a decade.  Lets not get greedy here.

-I’m really sick of the idea that Cousins was “supposed to get us over the hump” — its a team game.  He won just as many playoff games as Case, more than Teddy, and put up better #’s while doing so.  This team needs help on OL/DL before we can reasonably expect to win a SB. 

I have to agree with you on this.  My understanding was that, at the time, the Vikings just wanted to find someone who could reasonably be expected to repeat the kind of performance we got out of Case Keenum in 2017.  The coaching staff didn't have confidence in Case's ability to do that in the future, and I agree with that.  They felt that the supporting cast was good enough that if we could get another shot or two with equal QB play, we could get over the top.  It didn't happen, but I don't blame them for making the decision at the time because Kirk was the best option available.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 5:01 AM, Virginia Viking said:

And trying to start so many rookies, and 2nd year players who hardly played their first year, and newly signed free agents, and players gotten in trade, with no OTAs, and just the pre-season to get them ready puts them at an extreme disadvantage vs,  teams playing mostly players who played for them last season (that should be most, or almost all this year's opponents).  They're likely to be awfully sloppy their first 5-6 games.  The'd better play a bunch of teams with really weak rosters over that stretch.

On 4/4/2020 at 1:40 AM, Robb_K said:

And trying to start so many rookies, and 2nd year players who hardly played their first year, and newly signed free agents, and players gotten in trade, with no OTAs, and just the pre-season to get them ready puts them at an extreme disadvantage vs,  teams playing mostly players who played for them last season (that should be most, or almost all this year's opponents).  They're likely to be awfully sloppy their first 5-6 games.  The'd better play a bunch of teams with really weak rosters over that stretch.

I'm confused, because even with the departures, they're still returning 9 of their 11 starters on offense and 7 out of 11 on defense.  And of those openings, only Michael Pierce was not on the team.  Every other opening has a replacement that contributed significantly a year ago.  In reality, the Vikings are still one of the deepest teams in the NFL.  Sure, rookies are going to have to contribute and play significant amounts of time, but this isn't bereft of talent.  It's just that those players filling the spots haven't yet proven that they can handle the job full-time yet, even though they've shown it in short bursts.

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'm confused, because even with the departures, they're still returning 9 of their 11 starters on offense and 7 out of 11 on defense.  And of those openings, only Michael Pierce was not on the team.  Every other opening has a replacement that contributed significantly a year ago.  In reality, the Vikings are still one of the deepest teams in the NFL.  Sure, rookies are going to have to contribute and play significant amounts of time, but this isn't bereft of talent.  It's just that those players filling the spots haven't yet proven that they can handle the job full-time yet, even though they've shown it in short bursts.

I am looking at the production of those players being replaced.  The Vikings are not going to replace Diggs production with a rookie.  They might get half of his production with Johnson.  Kline was probably the 2nd best offensive lineman last year after O'Neil.  His departure is still baffling to me.  On defense, Griffen had a very decent 2019 season.  Sure, he's getting older, and needs to be spelled...but player after player says his energy was the fuel that made the rest of the defense go.  Not easily replaced.  Yes, he was expensive and the team needs the cap space.  I agree with the decision, but I am doubtful that his energy and leadership will be replaced in 2020. Waynes is probably a mediocre cover corner, but he was probably surest tackler in the backfield. Cover skills can be replaced...tackling? I don't know. Rhodes production will be replaced.  I agree with the decision and don't think he could've been redeemed.  I think he has the physical skills, but he's just way to much in his head, and gets in his own way.  Alexander is the one that will be the most difficult to replace.  What he accomplished in the nickel package was outstanding.  When he was on the outside he played really well too. 

While there may not be many starters to replace...there is a good amount of production to replace.  How well has Samia or Hill or Hughs progressed?  Can Hill and Hughs stay on the field? 

• 1 month later...

Without any further digressions, here is how the league’s quarterbacks graded on deep passes, passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield, in 2019.

15. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

39.3% completion percentage, 14.1 yards per attempt, 119.7 Passer Rating

Cousins’ overall deep numbers weren’t spectacular, but when he hit on a shot it tended to be an absolute dime. Cousins had 16 big-time throws on his 61 deep attempts and suffered from three drops on those deep passes. A highlight reel of only his best deep passes would be as good as that from any quarterback in the league, but he missed on more than he should have given his ability to make those passes.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-deep-passing

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm not sure about worse surrounding talent... But the analytics are certainly saying something there.

Yeah, that was the only thing I took a slight issue to...yes, the Vikings' OL has been significantly worse in the 2 years he's been here, but saying the Vikings only had 1 great WR is stretching it a little bit.

Kirk Cousins should be able to climb over 25 spots on the NFL’s all-time touchdown leaders list during the upcoming season. As it stands, Cousins has tossed a total of 155 touchdowns in his career and he’s thrown 56 of these in a Vikings uniform.

With a conventional-to-good output of Cousins throwing 30 touchdowns in 2020, he will soar up the all-time list from his current spot of 83rd to 56th. Currently, Mark Brunell occupies the 56th slot with 184 career touchdown passes.

Along the way, Cousins will notably eclipse guys like Joe Theismann (160), Jeff Garcia (161), Jim Plunkett (164), Troy Aikman (165), Joe Namath (173), Steven McNair (174), and Rich Gannon (180). In 2021, if healthy, he should be able to set his sights on passing the likes of Kurt Warner, Ken Stabler, Phil Simms, Randall Cunningham, and Terry Bradshaw.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/11/4-records-kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-2020/4/

Edited by vike daddy