Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

• 1 month later...
Just now, TENINCH said:

So we are stuck with him in 2022 unless we cut him and take a huge cap hit in 2021?

Yes.  However, as we've learned the last couple of days, if they declare him a post-June 1 cut at that time, they can spread that hit out over 2021 and 2022.

I've never soured on a player as quickly as I have with Cousins. I was happy when they extended him. I'm at a complete loss as to how his level of play has dropped off this drastically. Some of this is the O-line's fault, but a lot of it is just poor decision making. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes.  However, as we've learned the last couple of days, if they declare him a post-June 1 cut at that time, they can spread that hit out over 2021 and 2022.

If the Vikings cut Cousins after this season they will end up paying him over $60M for one year of service.

$30M signing bonus, $9.5M 2020 salary, $21M guaranteed 2021 salary.

Edited by Cearbhall
1 minute ago, babababa said:

I've never soured on a player as quickly as I have with Cousins. I was happy when they extended him. I'm at a complete loss as to how his level of play has dropped off this drastically. Some of this is the O-line's fault, but a lot of it is just poor decision making. 

But, has it dropped off?  I contend this is always who Cousins was.  When he managed to be good or clutch, those were the anomalies.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

But, has it dropped off?  I contend this is always who Cousins was.  When he managed to be good or clutch, those were the anomalies.  

Yes it has. He only threw 6 INTs last season and he has 10 through 6 games this year (he had 10 all year in 2018 his first season as a Viking). He's on pace for 25+ picks. That's a drastic drop. 

He has the lowest QB rating he's ever had as a full-time starter -- down 20 points from last season when he had a 107.4 rating compared to this year at 88.2. 

Was Stefanski that instrumental to his play? I don't get it.

Spielman said, via Andrew Krammer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “But I don’t think anyone has lost any faith in Kirk Cousins. I expect him to come back after the bye week and play well for us.”  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/teams/nfc/minnesota-vikings/

Excuse me bartender, I'll have what Rick's drinking!!!

56 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Spielman said, via Andrew Krammer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “But I don’t think anyone has lost any faith in Kirk Cousins. I expect him to come back after the bye week and play well for us.”  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/teams/nfc/minnesota-vikings/

Excuse me bartender, I'll have what Rick's drinking!!!

Of course, he has to say that.  🤣