Cowboys place franchise tag on QB Dak Prescott

RaidersAreOne

29 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Anyone defending this move is nuts

We let a Top 10 WR and a Top 10 CB hit the open market because we had to resort to franchise tagging the QB we’ve insisted for years is our guy for the long term. This **** doesn’t happen. Embarrassing

That's not what happened. We clearly didn't want to pay Jones top CB money. It had NOTHING to do with Dak or Cooper.

2 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

That's not what happened. We clearly didn't want to pay Jones top CB money. It had NOTHING to do with Dak or Cooper.

We still procrastinated like crazy on those two- no sense of urgency when you lap the field in revenue. And we’re just about the only team that would’ve prioritized Zeke over Byron just as we picked him over Ramsey. People remain true to themselves

Just now, matt79511 said:

We still procrastinated like crazy on those two- no sense of urgency when you lap the field in revenue. And we’re just about the only team that would’ve prioritized Zeke over Byron just as we picked him over Ramsey. People remain true to themselves

Ramsey is also on his second team and Zeke is the entire pulse of Dallas.

Not saying that is how I would have built a team, but the ROI is there. The Zeke deal doesn't stop us from signing anyone. To virtually any price.

Before Dak light the world on fire, most people here were pissed about the thought of 25 per. Then mid season, they didn't want 30 per. Then by the end of the season they didn't think a non-SB winning QB should get 35 per.

Dak should get a deal done. if it is under 40 at this point it is a win. But prepare for Dak to be the highest paid QB ever.

Any agent - especially a QB agent - who signed a deal before the new CBA should be fired on the spot.

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Ramsey is also on his second team and Zeke is the entire pulse of Dallas.

Not saying that is how I would have built a team, but the ROI is there. The Zeke deal doesn't stop us from signing anyone. To virtually any price.

Before Dak light the world on fire, most people here were pissed about the thought of 25 per. Then mid season, they didn't want 30 per. Then by the end of the season they didn't think a non-SB winning QB should get 35 per.

Dak should get a deal done. if it is under 40 at this point it is a win. But prepare for Dak to be the highest paid QB ever.

Any agent - especially a QB agent - who signed a deal before the new CBA should be fired on the spot.

No one’s conceptions of what Dak should cost- then or now- matters. Our FO insisted he was the guy and didn’t follow it up with their actions. They should be ridiculed.

I just don’t see how our FO deserves any benefit of the doubt. They cost themselves money the last two times by using the tag on Dez and D-Law as well as opposed to extending them early- that had nothing to do with the CBA, just procrastination. Numerous QBs have signed deals in the $33-35M/yr range since Dak has been extension eligible, all their agents should be fired?

If your point is “it takes two to tango” and that these guys must all asking for astronomical sums, then I would contend it’s because our FO has lost credibility with two decades without results. No reason to take less to stay here so the FO can build a  consistent winning team- because they can’t regardless.

...And Zeke is the “pulse” of this team? The admitted hard drug user who’s been accused of DV, punks rent-a-cops and hangs out in Cabo while everyone else is in camp? Maybe that’s our problem.

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

If your argument is no drug user can be a net positive, then we stand apart. Not all sinners are damned, not all saints are saved.

It absolutely isn’t. But I don’t think I’d pay one $75M to be the face of my franchise. I guess I shouldn’t have included that, I don’t really care if he did molly and coke at tOSU. but it’s the consistent pattern of behavior that’s dogged him. We shouldn’t be emphasizing how he can be redeemed when he’s already on a pedestal.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

It absolutely isn’t. But I don’t think I’d pay one $75M to be the face of my franchise. I guess I shouldn’t have included that, I don’t really care if he did molly and coke at tOSU. but it’s the consistent pattern of behavior that’s dogged him. We shouldn’t be emphasizing how he can be redeemed when he’s already on a pedestal.

I am not team RB. So this isn't my fight to have. But again, Zeke clearly means a lot to Dallas. Despite his sins.

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I doubt Herbert is there. So you are taking Love. Since Fromm has no arm. Ouch.

At like $6Mil a year, yeah, and I'm fielding the best roster in the league around him. Byron, Amari, Snacks, Collins, Linval Joseph, Leary, Karl Joseph, and drafting Ruggs or Mims.

Furthermore Love has a lot of potential, Fromm has intangibles, and Herbert will most certainly be within striking distance of 17 with all the ammo I'd have. Possibly even Tua. 

13 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

At like $6Mil a year, yeah, and I'm fielding the best roster in the league around him. Byron, Amari, Snacks, Collins, Linval Joseph, Leary, Karl Joseph, and drafting Ruggs or Mims.

Furthermore Love has a lot of potential, Fromm has intangibles, and Herbert will most certainly be within striking distance of 17 with all the ammo I'd have. Possibly even Tua. 

Say you lose Cooper & the Bears (no 1st rounder this year) sign Dak.

You only have pick 17. You are taking love and happy with decision to not-sign-Dak?

15 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Say you lose Cooper & the Bears (no 1st rounder this year) sign Dak.

You only have pick 17. You are taking love and happy with decision to not-sign-Dak?

Yes. Because I'm using that extra $50m and future 1st round picks to build a team. Which we need. Dak was excellent last year and we were terrible. So signing him big and getting worse everywhere else is crazy to me. 

Why would I lose Cooper if I'm not paying Dak?

Also, I highly doubt the Bears are willing to go 3 years without a first rounder nor have they completely given up on Trubisky. They currently rank 25th with $16m in cap space. You really think a team like that is going to give Dak $45m?

I don't think the market for Dak is as big as you think it is for teams with no cap space, and no first round picks 

Edited by DaBoys

I idea that Dallas let Dak/Cooper/Jones/Quinn/Cobb/ and even some of their lower tiered players get to this point without contracts, given their cap situation,  is wrong on so many levels it's hard wrap my mind around it. 

They have sat on over $75m in cap space and have done nothing regarding their key FAs for over a year. It is inexcusable tbh. They have screwed the pooch hard.

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1