RaidersAreOne

Cowboys place franchise tag on QB Dak Prescott

They don't actually expect Dak to play on the franchise tag this upcoming season, do they?

Why won't they just pay him?  Lol

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I idea that Dallas let Dak/Cooper/Jones/Quinn/Cobb/ and even some of their lower tiered players get to this point without contracts, given their cap situation,  is wrong on so many levels it's hard wrap my mind around it. 

They have sat on over $75m in cap space and have done nothing regarding their key FAs for over a year. It is inexcusable tbh. They have screwed the pooch hard.

How does this happen? This team that massively underachieved last season and the team has done nothing in signing their productive players. Quinn and Cobb were very productive and deserved new contracts.

How does Cooper hit the FA market? They traded a player who would’ve been on a 5 yr. rookie deal for a 1-1/2 yr rental.

36 minutes ago, showtime said:

They don't actually expect Dak to play on the franchise tag this upcoming season, do they?

Our front office is dumb.

57 minutes ago, showtime said:

??

They’ve already offered him like three contracts. Latest one rumored to be like 33.7M per and structured whatever way Dak wants it. 

He wants more than Wilson, which blows my mind. 

We honestly should’ve just given him the Wilson deal last year. Everyone would be mad online but it’d be better than Cooper and Jones both hitting unrestricted free agency

So are we really going to pay Dak $40 mill or trade him?

43 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

??

They’ve already offered him like three contracts. Latest one rumored to be like 33.7M per and structured whatever way Dak wants it. 

He wants more than Wilson, which blows my mind. 

I see lots of this floating around. I don't get it. This is the way it had always worked. The next man up gets more than the last guy. It's irrelevant if he's better or not.

Hell, look what Vaitai got from Detroit. 20 starts in 4 yrs and is now a top 5 paid RT. It's crazy, but it's a yearly thing now. 

36 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

So are we really going to pay Dak $40 mill or trade him?

Dak's about to get lots of Jerry's money. 

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I see lots of this floating around. I don't get it. This is the way it had always worked. The next man up gets more than the last guy. It's irrelevant if he's better or not.

Hell, look what Vaitai got from Detroit. 20 starts in 4 yrs and is now a top 5 paid RT. It's crazy, but it's a yearly thing now. 

But Wilson is a Top 2 QB in the NFL. I think it’s a fair assessment Dak doesn’t come close to that? I think 33.7M per is more than fair. 

If Dak and the Cowboys part ways next year, this is on Dak, not Jerry what so ever. 

I fall in the middle on this ...   33-4 is too low for me to offer Dak.     36-7 is what I would have offered.     Then coop 19.  No way would I offer Jones what he is getting at Miami. Quinn 11-13.  Then go from there 

1 minute ago, quiller said:

I fall in the middle on this ...   33-4 is too low for me to offer Dak.     36-7 is what I would have offered.     Then coop 19.  No way would I offer Jones what he is getting at Miami. Quinn 11-13.  Then go from there 

You're not willing to shell out top CB money for an elite CB but you're willing to shell out 19 to a WR who only plays half the games he's with us. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

But Wilson is a Top 2 QB in the NFL. I think it’s a fair assessment Dak doesn’t come close to that? I think 33.7M per is more than fair. 

If Dak and the Cowboys part ways next year, this is on Dak, not Jerry what so ever. 

What did Cousins just get? $33m/yr? That's like 2m less than Wilson. Is he even top 10? I think there is plenty of information out there than Dak is worth what Wilson makes. That's been beaten to death here though, so I'm not getting any further into that. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

What did Cousins just get? $33m/yr? That's like 2m less than Wilson. Is he even top 10? I think there is plenty of information out there than Dak is worth what Wilson makes. That's been beaten to death here though, so I'm not getting any further into that. 

Fair enough. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The QB position is just different though, when you have one you pay him. This discussion of teams cycling rookie deal/mid-range veterans is poppycock when you’re talking about a guy on the cusp of the Top 10 at worst with a strong case for Top 5 amongst young QBs.

Leverage is also altered by amount of years left on your contract. Whatever you think about Dak vs Goff vs Wentz, Dallas was never going to get their guy for less than the other two when he’s a free agent sooner.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

We honestly should’ve just given him the Wilson deal last year. Everyone would be mad online but it’d be better than Cooper and Jones both hitting unrestricted free agency

Still don't see how the two are tied to each other. Whether we sign dak related to, or how, it means Coop and Quinn hit the market. I just don't get the connection.