Cowboys place franchise tag on QB Dak Prescott

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, HDsportsfan said:

Still don't see how the two are tied to each other. Whether we sign dak related to, or how, it means Coop and Quinn hit the market. I just don't get the connection.

We get to tag someone else. Franchising your QB is pretty embarrassing. Last team to do it was Washington with Cousins, no one would argue that they know what they’re doing

17 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

What did Cousins just get? $33m/yr? That's like 2m less than Wilson. Is he even top 10? I think there is plenty of information out there than Dak is worth what Wilson makes. That's been beaten to death here though, so I'm not getting any further into that. 

How is Dak better than Cousins other than being younger and playing on better rosters?

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

We get to tag someone else. Franchising your QB is pretty embarrassing. Last team to do it was Washington with Cousins, no one would argue that they know what they’re doing

How far did Washington fall after their Dak left? Were they that good with him? Can anyone argue we know what we are doing?

"QBs are just different," will soon prove to be an outdated philosophy after the playoffs continue to be dominated by QBs on cheap contracts

Edited by DaBoys

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

How far did Washington fall after their Dak left? Were they that good with him? Can anyone argue we know what we are doing?

"QBs are just different," will soon prove to be an outdated philosophy after the playoffs continue to be dominated by QBs on cheap contracts

5/6 of the QBs in the NFC playoffs last year are on deals averaging at least $28M per

It helps to have a useful player on a below market deal, sure. Same as any other position. But Blake Bortles and Case Keenum and Mitch Trubisky don’t last. Realistically, every individual position is overvalued against the cap *besides QB* which should make more. It’s easier to cycle guys at every single position than that one, that will always be true

8 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

5/6 of the QBs in the NFC playoffs last year are on deals averaging at least $28M per

Okay... so 7 of 12 playoff teams were something less that that? And Wentz wasn't playing in his playoff game... so 4 teams in the playoffs were relying on their over paid QB

This will be a trend that continues and the gap will grow larger as more teams panic buy toilet paper.

Edited by DaBoys

21 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Okay... so 7 of 12 playoff teams were something less that that? And Wentz wasn't playing in his playoff game... so 4 teams in the playoffs were relying on their over paid QB

This will be a trend that continues and the gap will grow larger as more teams panic buy toilet paper.

Well, to be honest, I forgot about Wentz actually- it was in fact out of 6/6 on big $ deals. Plus Brady in the AFC

Let me put it this way- Jaylon Smith signed a contract worth nearly $12M/yr last offseason. About how much more valuable is Dak Prescott on a per play basis? Ten times? At least. Yet he’s not asking for $120M/yr or $100M or anything like that.

You may jest, but that’s the reality of a league with a $200M+ cap including rollover for most teams. Just look at some of the contracts handed out over he last 24 hours. Of course Dak is worth more than 3 times as much as some crappy RT like Vaitai or meh CB2 like Roby. There’s a reason cap percentages are increasing for top QBs, because the data we have suggests they’re still underpaid.

Tannehill, the ultimate journeyman type, just got $30M per because the odds of some other nobody going out and posting a YPA of 9+ are pretty low, and as long as he’s borderline decent it’s not really a cap killer. Your QB contract is no excuse for other bad contracts and/or bad drafts

Edited by matt79511

5 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Well, to be honest, I forgot about Wentz actually- it was in fact out of 6/6 on big $ deals. Plus Brady in the AFC

Let me put it this way- Jaylon Smith signed a contract worth nearly $12M/yr last offseason. About how much more valuable is Dak Prescott on a per play basis? Ten times? At least. Yet he’s not asking for $120M/yr or $100M or anything like that.

You may jest, but that’s the reality of a league with a $200M+ cap including rollover for most teams. Of course Dak is worth more than 3 times as much as some crappy RT like Vaitai or meh CB2 like Roby. There’s a reason cap percentages are increasing for top QBs, because the data we have suggests they’re still underpaid.

Tannehill, the ultimate journeyman type, just got $30M per because the odds of some other nobody going out and posting a YPA of 9+ are pretty low, and as long as he’s borderline decent it’s not really a cap killer. Your QB contract is no excuse for other bad contracts and/or bad drafts

Do you or do you not think it is smart to pay Dak ~$40 mil per? 

Keep in mind, I am not asking if he could get it or more in the open market. I am not asking what you would ask for as his agent. I am not asking if you think he is better than Tannehill(who was a "nobody," the year before he had insurmountable odds on a nobody replacing his production).

After seeing Dak hit what was probably something close to his ceiling last year and our team going 3-8 against teams not drafting top 5, do you or do you not think it is smart to lock Dak up at the expense of current and future young stars?

57 minutes ago, DaBoys said:
1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

What did Cousins just get? $33m/yr? That's like 2m less than Wilson. Is he even top 10? I think there is plenty of information out there than Dak is worth what Wilson makes. That's been beaten to death here though, so I'm not getting any further into that. 

How is Dak better than Cousins other than being younger and playing on better rosters?

LOL. Stop it.

• Like 1

I'd like to think Tannehill is closest market value to Dak but played for Miami instead of Dallas in his early career.

The year he had a beast RB, powerful OL, and serviceable defense he was fine.  

Now he is 5 years older at 29.5. So Dak should get about 33-34

Edited by DaBoys

23 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Do you or do you not think it is smart to pay Dak ~$40 mil per? 

Keep in mind, I am not asking if he could get it or more in the open market. I am not asking what you would ask for as his agent. I am not asking if you think he is better than Tannehill(who was a "nobody," the year before he had insurmountable odds on a nobody replacing his production).

After seeing Dak hit what was probably something close to his ceiling last year and our team going 3-8 against teams not drafting top 5, do you or do you not think it is smart to lock Dak up at the expense of current and future young stars?

Yeah, if I’m Dak’s agent and my first priority is my own success, I’d keep playing hardball here. Dallas obviously has the money.

As a fan, it’s like, Byron is gone now. Amari is probably coming back but we’ll see. Who are the rest of our “young stars?” I count one player drafted from 2017-19 who definitely deserves a big second contract. And moreover, the cap jumps after this year are could be astronomical- just pay the ****ing QB. That we used the exclusive tag here is pretty revelatory- our FO actually does believe someone would come in with two first round picks and a market setting contract, and you know, they’re probably right. He’s really good.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1