Cowboys place franchise tag on QB Dak Prescott

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Dak was the best I'd ever seen him last season and we were 3-8 against teams not drafting top 5.  It's just not reasonable to expect a better team with a less talented roster only because we paid our QB. I just don't see us as a better team than we were last year and that sucks. Hopefully we can fill a hole in the draft and get closer to the 3-8 team we were a season ago

Coaching had a lot to do with that, along with injuries and a severe downturn to our defense and a horrible special teams. 

They need to get Dak locked up, and they need to start spending some of that money on bolstering the defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Yes because it hurts our chances of winning and is a slap in the face to other more selfless players like Jaylon or Tyron who does what's best for the team in their contracts. 

And this can be said too for Fat Zeke, need to be less greedy and petty.

Why is Dak to blame for those players signing their deals? 

6 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Why is Dak to blame for those players signing their deals? 

I'm suggesting they've had talks amongst themselves about getting the best deal possible for themselves. Look out for No.1, where as some of the other more selfless players on our team took to making more "team" friendly deals. Im calling Zeke, Coop and Dak selfish. 

And yes im changing my tune on Zeke, I think he really brought this superstar mentality back to the team when we were finally getting away from it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I'm suggesting they've had talks amongst themselves about getting the best deal possible for themselves. Look out for No.1, where as some of the other more selfless players on our team took to making more "team" friendly deals. Im calling Zeke, Coop and Dak selfish. 

And yes im changing my tune on Zeke, I think he really brought this superstar mentality back to the team when we were finally getting away from it. 

With an ever increasing cap, the very real side effects of playing in the league growing ever more prevalent (see CCE)...why would you not get as much money as you possibly could when you could be one play away from never playing again and having lifelong side effects? It isn't selfish at all, it's smart. 

Zeke is a "Me" guys and I think he's probably corrupted Dak in the long term

Jerry smelling the Superbowl last year and caving to Zeke was the worst thing he could have done in hindsight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

With an ever increasing cap, the very real side effects of playing in the league growing ever more prevalent (see CCE)...why would you not get as much money as you possibly could when you could be one play away from never playing again and having lifelong side effects? It isn't selfish at all, it's smart. 

There's a difference between being a team guy and a me guy. You say it's smart for him in the long run, and it's true more money never hurt anyone. But you can't call someone a team player if they aren't willing to make the sacrifice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

There's a difference between being a team guy and a me guy. You say it's smart for him in the long run, and it's true more money never hurt anyone. But you can't call someone a team player if they aren't willing to make the sacrifice. 

In this aspect of things, I'm going to disagree. Nothing about this hurts the team. The only thing that does hurt is the front office showing a hesitation to give their franchise QB what he wants. 

Even Dak insisting on the 4 year deal... The Cowboys need the extra years to stretch out the deal and lower the cap hit. Cramming into a 4 year window limits the moves the Cowboys can make

I don't see how anyone can argue, that we were an 8-8 team last year and we are looking at spending at least 35 million MORE at the QB position, on the same guy, and removing 35 Million worth of players at other positions. And this is a recipe for success and we should expect better results

• Like 3

Just now, D82 said:

In this aspect of things, I'm going to disagree. Nothing about this hurts the team. The only thing that does hurt is the front office showing a hesitation to give their franchise QB what he wants. 

What if Dak wanted 50 million? Should the front office just "Give their franchise QB what he wants"? - They've been as complimentary of Dak as they possibly could saying he's their guy and he's their franchise QB, but just because they say that, doesn't entitle Dak to a blank check

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

Lead by example. We've already heard rumbling's last season of a no accountability attitude in the lockerroom with a selfish mentality going throughout the season.

You say this does nothing to hurt the team. But the Superstar syndrome always hurts the team, if it's not now it will be later if the FO just keeps giving in to w/e their star's want. Maybe you remember Jerry's old outrageous contracts he used to shell out to his favorite guys. You really want the locker room to be that again?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Good grief. They are sabotaging the team. This is a hellva conspiracy theory. I'm not even sure where to go with it, so I'll just leave it alone. 

26 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I don't understand why people are mad about the tag. $28m is cheap right? Tag him again next year **** it. 

I believe it’s a foregone conclusion that Dak is here for next 4-5 yrs. Get him signed and lower that $28m cap hit significantly. Then spend savings accordingly.

Edited by WizardHawk

49 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I believe it’s a foregone conclusion that Dak is here for next 4-5 yrs. Get him signed and lower that $28m cap hit significantly. Then spend savings accordingly.

Unfortunately there will probably be no saving from a long term deal. What if we are paying him $40m aav? How much lower than 28 can you get his first year hit? Probably can't even get it down to 28. Russ Wilson's first year hit was $31m.