Packers sign RT Rick Wagner

Lodestar

Wagner is coming off his worst season, a subpar year marred by a knee injury and a revolving door on his inside shoulder at right guard. He was graded 47th out of 60 offensive tackles who played at least half the offensive snaps in 2019, according to Pro Football Focus. It was a rough year, no question.

But the prior years, when he was healthy and had a relatively stable presence at guard, Wagner was solid. He was 29th out of 62 tackles in 2018 and 14th out of 57 (and No. 3 in right tackles) in 2017 in PFF rankings.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/11/rick-wagner-why-cutting-the-lions-starting-right-tackle-makes-little-sense/

• Like 1

Guessing the first year cap hits for Wagner and Kirksey won't equal the first year cap hit for Bulaga or Martinez.

GB is better today then they were yesterday.

And worse than they were last year.

Gotta balance cap with talent.  These seem like solid moves.

• Like 4

Absolutely no doubt in my mind 5m for Wagner is better for this team than 12-14 for Bulaga. Once I saw the deal, absolutely the right call.

Absolutely love how we've started. Comp picks intact, veteran players in spots of need, incentive based shorter deals. Health is going to be critical but we still have room for a long-term high end deal and we've already patched up two spots. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Don’t like what we’re doing. Taking an angry nap 

I like it .. at least Gute is adding experienced guys with tread left on the tires.  I think you draft both positions as well, but at least this gives us some guys that have had some success in the league and logged some starts.  

• Like 2

Now watch it all come crumbling down with using all our remaining cap space on Hooper and trading our first round pick for Hopkins to end up with nobody at IDL.  Look like a contender winning 15 games.  Beat the Niners in a revenge game in the divisional round, then have to sit through Alvin Kamara and Taysum Hill run for 300 yards against our utter lack of a presence outside of Kenny Clark.

I’m saying it now so it doesn’t happen.  If we don’t significantly address our IDL, nothing else matters.

• Like 2