Packers sign RT Rick Wagner

Lodestar

5 minutes ago, craig said:

CWood or anybody else:  Idiot FA comp questions that's been probably answered deep in some other threat 15 times by now...: 

1:  The number of comp picks is dictated totally by the difference in number of comp-eligible guys you've lost versus those you've signed, regardless of merit?  So if, for example, a team lost a $140/6 stud, and signed a $15/3 JAG, would signing the JAG still fully cancel compensation for loss of the stud?  

2. There are 32 comp picks FA's.  Does pick-cancellation only involve "32 comp picks" guys?  Or does a hypothetical $2.5/1 guy still factor in?   

3.  Does a "cancellation" signing always only cancel your lowest comp pick?  Or the one most comparable in value?  

For hypothetical, suppose Vitale signs a $2.5/1 deal, and we sign a $30/3 guy.  (I know, totally hypothetical, and not going to happen...)

4.  Would our signing a $30/3 guy cancel one of our $30/3 picks (Bulaga or Martinez?), or just our lowest pick (Fackrell)?  

5.  Or would our signing a $30/3 guy actually not cancel an picks, basically just offset losing Vitale, who wasn't going to get a comp pick anyway?   

6.  IN other words, if we lost 4 (BB, Martinez, Fackrell, Vitale), so long as we signed just one non-released FA, regardless of any value, would we still have our largest-value three losses compensated?  

1: Yes, however, some of that is taken into account when trying to decide if that same team gets a 5th vs a 6th. There's some wiggle room in it. However if you're dumb enough to lose one guy for a huge contract and then sign only one guy on a little contract, you lose out because there's nowhere for them to give you that edge.

2: There are way more comp pick eligible guys than there are comp picks every year. The league ends up making the entire list and then wherever the 32nd highest number in the formula falls out, that's where the cutoff is.

3: One of most comparable value.

4: It would cancel out Bulaga/Martinez.

5: See #3 and #4.

6: You would lose the comp pick most comparable to the FA you signed. 

What I take from that, practically speaking, is that the Packers don't really need to factor comp-pick stuff into their pursuits.  I don't really imagine they have the long-term cash to go after a Bulaga-level contract. 

1.  So most likely even if they sign a non-release FA, it will be some JAGgy roster-filler more on the scale of Vitale's contract or Mercedes Lewis.  

2.  Maybe they'd sign somebody with a Fackrell-cancelling contract, I hope they do.  But if you lose a 6th round pick, which is actually right in front of the 7th round, do i really care much?  I'd not back off of a guy who might actually play a rotation-player role on account of an after-the-6th-round comp pick in the 2021 draft that wouldn't likely to play much until 2023 season even in the unlikely event that you got a keeper.

3.  Think it's patently unlikely that they'd still sign a guy good enough to cancel Bulaga or Martinez picks.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Watching the replay of the Lions v. Packers on Monday Night this year. Ricky Wagner was a fricking turnstile in that game. Rodgers will get killed the way this guy protects. 

It will happen in week 12, when the packers has a dismal 4-9 record and all feels lost.

Then, Love comes in the last 3 games and gets 10 total tds (running + passing). beats 2 playoff teams and knocks the Bears out of contention for the 7 seed.

packers go 7-9....but they find their QBOFT

7 hours ago, Malfatron said:

It will happen in week 12, when the packers has a dismal 4-9 record and all feels lost.

Then, Love comes in the last 3 games and gets 10 total tds (running + passing). beats 2 playoff teams and knocks the Bears out of contention for the 7 seed.

packers go 7-9....but they find their QBOFT

Thank you prophet of doom! I don't see us falling off that much. I think 11-5 is where we are at seasons end. The Bears still suck! 

• Like 1