Packers sign RT Rick Wagner

Lodestar

I am not sure of how the cap numbers  work but seeing Bug's got 30 over 3 makes me kind of pissy really that we didn't look to keep him. A dafted player that is better in everyway. How could we not find a way to save a few mil somewhere else.

38 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I am not sure of how the cap numbers  work but seeing Bug's got 30 over 3 makes me kind of pissy really that we didn't look to keep him. A dafted player that is better in everyway. How could we not find a way to save a few mil somewhere else.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you DONT make. Bulaga has had BOTH his knees done, plus a hip. He turns 32 in a few days. 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We will miss Bulaga this coming season.  Chargers will like him.  We will not miss Bulaga next season.  Browns will no longer like him.  Wish Brine Blaga could have won one more ring.

Fixed.

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you DONT make. Bulaga has had BOTH his knees done, plus a hip. He turns 32 in a few days. 

Not so sure our new guy at 8 per year is much better on the injury front. He’s surely not better with his play. 
I think the dollars could have been done had we tried. And Bugs is and has always been a Packer. Hopeful the money is used somewhere else important. 
With that said I hope Gute is right on this one. You could trust Bugs in game AR didn’t need to look that way often. 
The new guy who knows. Is what it is though Bugs is gone. 

19 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Not so sure our new guy at 8 per year is much better on the injury front. He’s surely not better with his play. 
I think the dollars could have been done had we tried. And Bugs is and has always been a Packer. Hopeful the money is used somewhere else important. 
With that said I hope Gute is right on this one. You could trust Bugs in game AR didn’t need to look that way often. 

Wagner's cheaper and younger. Better? No....but we're a little tight on cash right about now and have considerable roster talent to consider going forward. An extended commitment to a (good) 32y/o RT.......? A bit of a stretch. We'll fill in with some more bodies later in FA and certainly in the draft. It was time to let him go IMO.

19 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

He’s getting 11 Mil over two years. He’s half the price of Bulaga and we’re committed to him for one year less.

And idk how good Wagner will be, but I also wouldn’t bet on Bulaga outplaying that contract, that’s for sure.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

He’s getting 11 Mil over two years. He’s half the price of Bulaga and we’re committed to him for one year less.

And idk how good Wagner will be, but I also wouldn’t bet on Bulaga outplaying that contract, that’s for sure.

Was t sure on the cap numbers from a straight number it seemed closer. With that said as I noted I hope it works. I remember the first year TT cheapened out on guards. Different story but still cheaper isn’t always better. 

Edited by PACKRULE

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Wagner's cheaper and younger. Better? No....but we're a little tight on cash right about now and have considerable roster talent to consider going forward. An extended commitment to a (good) 32y/o RT.......? A bit of a stretch. We'll fill in with some more bodies later in FA and certainly in the draft. It was time to let him go IMO.

I don’t think our holes are as bad as some think considering we made the championship Game. Our online just got a bit worse in the short term. I get it the dollars are thin just sucks losing a premier tackle. 

26 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I don’t think our holes are as bad as some think considering we made the championship Game. Our online just got a bit worse in the short term. I get it the dollars are thin just sucks losing a premier tackle. 

Dont think anybody's disagreeing with you....but....given the broader picture.....it was time. I failed to mention it in my post - but @ChaRisMa did in his - the Wagner commitment is a short one. The teams not done shoring up the OL talent.

12 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Losing Bulaga and replacing him with Wagner hurts us in the short term. But the biggest holes on our team last season were ILB and WR. If Gute uses the money he saves by going from Bulaga to Wagner to add more depth to the roster on the positions of need, it would be worth it.

Our depth at the WR and TE position really scares me. Not that Jimmy Graham was as productive as he should have been but he still had over 1000 receiving yards over the last 2 seasons. Can Jace and Tonyan replace that production? Lazard showed flashes last year but is it enough to depend on him as our #2 WR?

Rodgers is not the same QB he was 2+ years ago. He is still really good but we need to give him some help.

12 hours ago, Leader said:

Great point.  It wasn't about 2020, it was about committing that amount moving forward.