The Ant-Man Franchised

The Gnat

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

So even tho it's fake, its a bit more than i would think would be necessary.

That average isn't bad. Here are some recently signed safety contracts

Tyran Mathieu 3 for 42

Earl Thomas 4 for 55

Kevin Byard 5 for 70.5

Eddie Jackson 4 for 58

Landon Collins 6 for 82

I know theres a lot of talk of trading Harris for Trent Williams but what about a trade with the Patriots for Joe Thuney?? Hes a perfect fit for the zone blocking system....probably going to have to add a couple picks to the package as well on top of just Harris. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWinfield26 said:

I know theres a lot of talk of trading Harris for Trent Williams but what about a trade with the Patriots for Joe Thuney?? Hes a perfect fit for the zone blocking system....probably going to have to add a couple picks to the package as well on top of just Harris. 

That is a more interesting discussion to me than Williams. There are questions about what Thuney would want as well as what the Patriots would want. Thuney already signed his tender so the Vikings can't talk to him without permission from the Patriots. If the Patriots would take a third and Harris for Thuney, that would open the door to getting permission to talk to Thuney about his contract demands.

Filling that gaping hole at guard would do more for the Vikings than swapping Reiff out for Trent Williams IMO.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press reports that Anthony Harris is in “no rush” to sign the franchise tag because he wants to keep up the push for such an agreement. Signing the tag would also open the door for the Vikings to trade him, so it seems the status quo will remain in place for a bit.

Tomasson added that Harris is undecided about taking part in the team’s virtual offseason program right now. As long as he doesn’t sign the tag or a new deal, he’d need to sign a participation agreement to take part.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/22/report-anthony-harris-in-no-rush-to-sign-franchise-tag/

• 4 weeks later...

Minnesota Vikings safety Anthony Harris has signed his franchise tender, a source told ESPN on Sunday. By signing the tender, Harris will be paid a guaranteed salary of $11,441,000 for the 2020 season. Harris and the Vikings have until the July 15 deadline to agree to a long-term contract.

On Sunday, Harris posted a statement on Twitter that indicated he likely had signed his tender: "I will let my agents and the Vikings work towards long term certainty in Minnesota, but I am excited to be back for the 2020 season."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29186937/source-vikings-anthony-harris-signs-franchise-tender

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Glad to have him back, at least for this season.

Since Zimmer hasn't prioritized the position though, I'm just not sure if we want to sign him long term.

Is this a good Safety class coming up?

I think him signing the tender right now means that they've made significant progress on a long-term deal.  In this instance, I'm not sure I'd take Zimmer at full-face value with his comments regarding it.  Sure, the position may not be as high priority, but I'm pretty sure Harry is pretty important to him in the defense.  Harris isn't nearly as good as Harry, but he's not that far off, so if he's good at what he does, you keep him around, as long as the cost is reasonable.  You don't want to open a hole just because you don't value the position as highly in your scheme.  I think he's clearly learned that from the kicking position.  

• Like 1