The Ant-Man Franchised

The Gnat

13 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I think the team will be giving a big deal to one of their safeties after this year. Which one it is will depend on how the year goes.

And with potentially both Reiff and Rudolph in their last year with the team this year, they'll have the funds to do so.  

31 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And with potentially both Reiff and Rudolph in their last year with the team this year, they'll have the funds to do so.  

Bingo, scheduled to have just over $32M heading into next off-season. Cutting Reiff increases that to almost $44M (cutting Rudy would be just over $49M). That will be more than enough to figure out a long-term deal for Harris.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, swede700 said:

yep yep. That certainly is a large factor in why I think that it will be happening.

Harrison Smith is already signed through 2021. His deal might be reworked and he could be extended (he’s past 30 but his game is aging well), but there’s no need to sign him next year.

Harris is probably making as much on the tag than the Vikings are willing to pay him on a long term extension. He turns 29 in October. Zimmer has consistently been able to find/develop late round picks and UDFAs who become above average to excellent safeties (going back to Iloka with the Bengals, then Sendejo and now Harris). I don’t think they’re going to be willing to pay Harris market rate (probably $12M+) on a longer extension, given his age and the likely role of the scheme in contributing to his success.

I wanted Harris extended heading into last year, when he was playing on his RFA tag, but I think that ship has sailed. I expect he’ll move on in 2021 and the Vikings will net a comp pick.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, swede700 said:

This will impact what Anthony Harris will get in an extension.  While Baker is far younger than Harris, he's not as good either.  

Yeah, that will impact Harris' extension or new contract. I do think that Harris being older will prevent him from setting a new high water mark for safeties when he signs but he should approach it if he has another year like he had last year. Meanwhile, Jamal Adams will likely set a new high water mark for Harris to approach, which may mean that Harris approaching the high water mark may mean he is signing a contract that surpasses what Budda Baker just got. We'll see. I hope Harris goes out and earns that ~$15M/year. I love seeing undrafted guys make good.

The team could use a second franchise tag on Harris. That possibility may motivate them to get a deal done with their RB that would save them from using their tag on him.

Edited by Cearbhall

22 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Yeah, that will impact Harris' extension or new contract. I do think that Harris being older will prevent him from setting a new high water mark for safeties when he signs but he should approach it if he has another year like he had last year. Meanwhile, Jamal Adams will likely set a new high water mark for Harris to approach, which may mean that Harris approaching the high water mark may mean he is signing a contract that surpasses what Budda Baker just got. We'll see. I hope Harris goes out and earns that ~$15M/year. I love seeing undrafted guys make good.

The team could use a second franchise tag on Harris. That possibility may motivate them to get a deal done with their RB that would save them from using their tag on him.

I don't think the Vikings are going to give Harris a market-setting deal. The cap is shrinking next year, and Zimmer has had an excellent track record of developing safeties. I just can't see giving Harris $15MM under those circumstances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think the Vikings are going to give Harris a market-setting deal. The cap is shrinking next year, and Zimmer has had an excellent track record of developing safeties. I just can't see giving Harris $15MM under those circumstances. 

Yep yep, which is what I was saying too. We are two that feel that way. I do not disagree with that at all, which is why I specified "extension or new contract".  I understand Harris is likely to be getting paid by another team. Not only is that a strong possibility but as I said I don't think that Harris will be setting the market. Baker just did and I expect Adams to reset that. Harris, if he has a good year and makes it to free agency, will likely get something under that high water mark.