Cardinals trade DeAndre Hopkins + for David Johnson +

RaidersAreOne

Conspiracy theory:

Cal McNair is letting this happen because he wants to bring Rick Smith back. How else could he reintroduce his best friend (who was hated as a GM, mind you) unless he made this current GM look SO BAD that we'd all be begging for Smith?

I don't know about you, but I'd give up my Coronavirus money to get Smith back right about now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Conspiracy theory:

Cal McNair is letting this happen because he wants to bring Rick Smith back. How else could he reintroduce his best friend (who was hated as a GM, mind you) unless he made this current GM look SO BAD that we'd all be begging for Smith?

I don't know about you, but I'd give up my Coronavirus money to get Smith back right about now.

HOL... Those Kempner alums are a witty bunch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Conspiracy theory:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there. I was going to invest that money in TP futures and get rich!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Texans02 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there. I was going to invest that money in TP futures and get rich!

Oh, that window is closed... But I tell you, buying into baby wipes now is like buying Amazon when it was $1.75!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s a “what an idiot” moment followed by “well I hope Johnson regains his footing”

I'd feel a lot better, actually. We'd be taking on salary, but we'd be trading away the David Johnson of WRs for the Will Fuller of RBs - and getting a 2nd out of it. 

But, that's not what happened...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s a “what an idiot” moment followed by “well I hope Johnson regains his footing”

Much more palatable.... esp. injury prone WR for somewhat less injury prone RB... Also, I would think signing speedy WR happens in FA (Philip Dorsett?)

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Random hypothetical here - what if the trade was for Will Fuller instead of Hopkins? How are we feeling then?

If it was the exact same trade, replacing Hopkins with Fuller, we'd still be getting the short end of the deal due to Johnson's contract.

Fuller is in a contract year, whereas Johnson is locked in WAY above market value for at least a couple of years. A 2nd or 3rd is the expected value for taking on DJ's contract, meaning the actual trade is their 4th next year for Fuller + our 4th this year. It assigns a negative value to Fuller, which isn't realistic. He's probably worth a 3rd to 4th round pick on his own, he has a lot of upside when healthy and he's entering what should be his prime. The fact he's in a contract year probably devalues him, so let's call him worth a 4th to 5th round pick.

At worst, a Fuller - Johnson swap should look like this:

Texans get: Johnson, 3rd, 5th

Cards get: Fuller

Realistically, the Fuller version of the trade would be fine if we remove the 4th rounder going to them. Nothing wrong with Fuller for DJ + 2nd  + 4th next year, in terms of value.

The dagger in the Hopkins - Johnson trade is that 4th rounder from us to them.The value hit from that 4th rounder takes the hypothetical Fuller trade from acceptable to a bad value, and the real Hopkins trade from a terrible, lazy trade to a legendary, historic disaster.

• Like 1