49ers and DE Arik Armstead Agree to 5 Year Deal

J-ALL-DAY

I like Armstead and am glad he's back, but I don't see how they can effectively build out the roster for years to come with a contract this rich on the books. Really banking on a level of production that I don't think is a sure thing

EDIT: hopefully we see this has a lot of "outs" once more details come to light

Edited by Madridista

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Love it. I'm sure some Paraag magic allows us out after 2 years with minimal impact. 

That's what I'm thinking and with the cap at 240M or so next season, definitely not a terrible deal. Had to bring back the best DL in the game! Can easily get out of Ford's deal next season. 

Just now, Madridista said:

I like Armstead and am glad he's back, but I don't see how they can effectively build out the roster for years to come with a contract this rich on the books. Really banking on a level of production that I don't think is a sure thing

Dude the salary cap will continue to go up. They will be able to sign anyone they want to keep. Those old days of cap hell are gone for teams. Teams can move money all around to make room. 

• Like 2

Hell yeah!

You don't let 26 year old HATPUTS walk in free agency. 

2 minutes ago, Madridista said:

I don't see how they can effectively build out the roster for years to come with a contract this rich on the books.

The last year of NFL contracts rarely have any guaranteed money left. The timing of this lines up with Bosa to where we could cut AA to pay bosa if need be. 

3 minutes ago, Madridista said:

Really banking on a level of production that I don't think is a sure thing

Hes always been productive when on the field. Dude has incredible hands for a guy that tall. His problems have been schematic or health related. Kocerics style fits much better 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sherm said:

Dude the salary cap will continue to go up. They will be able to sign anyone they want to keep. Those old days of cap hell are gone for teams. Teams can move money all around to make room. 

The salary cap isn't real sometimes. It's so easy to manipulate. It does put on some restrictions, but there's a lot of monopoly money when it comes to the cap. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Means nothing? We don't need to do anything with Ford this offseason. Can move him next offseason. 

I guess that's what I meant. Going forward. 

I'm just stoked we're able to keep him. Really had my doubts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

Hes always been productive when on the field. Dude has incredible hands for a guy that tall. His problems have been schematic or health related. Kocerics style fits much better 

Don't necessarily disagree but also don't want to brush over the health stuff. But again, if they can still build out the roster cap-wise I'm good. I do like him

Meh... probably in the minority here but I'm not a fan of this move. Have to see how the contract is structured and my thoughts could change but I'm just never going to be a fan of paying guys huge money based off one year of production. Want to see the first year cap hit and if there's an out after year one. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh... probably in the minority here but I'm not a fan of this move. Have to see how the contract is structured and my thoughts could change but I'm just never going to be a fan of paying guys huge money based off one year of production. Want to see the first year cap hit and if there's an out after year one. 

I'm glad to have him back for this window...I think the biggest problem is replacing him. We simply didn't have anyone that could do it, and we would have impacted our limited super bowl window. So I'm glad in that regard. I also would have completely understood bypassing this deal and going after someone like Shaq Lawson who is also a strong run defender and may be coming up in the pass rushing game. 

But everyone should be real and admit that there is some risk to this type of deal. that's a lot of money invested in that line, and AA, while he was great, isn't really a straw that stirs the drink. 

Still, I suspect Ford is gone after this upcoming year, so I think it'll be important to have Bosa / AA / Buck together moving forward.