49ers and DE Arik Armstead Agree to 5 Year Deal

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh... probably in the minority here but I'm not a fan of this move. Have to see how the contract is structured and my thoughts could change but I'm just never going to be a fan of paying guys huge money based off one year of production. Want to see the first year cap hit and if there's an out after year one. 

Yeah, I had this same thought earlier when people were talking about paying him a long term deal, then I remembered reading about how we structure our deals where we basically have an out as long as we dump the person before April 1 every year. Sure there may be a little bit of dead money, but it wouldn't be monumental. If he continues to play up to his potential then we locked him in long term at a rate that will look like a discount in 3 years. Most people were talking about the possibility of a bridge deal so he could hit FA again at 28-29, and he would have probably cost a lot more for those two additional years and probably wouldn't have saved us much in the 2-3 year bridge deal. I'm ok with this. I think this pretty much closes the door on Sanders though, which I'm fine with. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm glad to have him back for this window...I think the biggest problem is replacing him. We simply didn't have anyone that could do it, and we would have impacted our limited super bowl window. So I'm glad in that regard. I also would have completely understood bypassing this deal and going after someone like Shaq Lawson who is also a strong run defender and may be coming up in the pass rushing game. 

But everyone should be real and admit that there is some risk to this type of deal. that's a lot of money invested in that line, and AA, while he was great, isn't really a straw that stirs the drink. 

Still, I suspect Ford is gone after this upcoming year, so I think it'll be important to have Bosa / AA / Buck together moving forward. 

SO let's keep our eyes open for a pass rusher in the later rounds in this draft

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm glad to have him back for this window...I think the biggest problem is replacing him. We simply didn't have anyone that could do it, and we would have impacted our limited super bowl window. So I'm glad in that regard. I also would have completely understood bypassing this deal and going after someone like Shaq Lawson who is also a strong run defender and may be coming up in the pass rushing game. 

But everyone should be real and admit that there is some risk to this type of deal. that's a lot of money invested in that line, and AA, while he was great, isn't really a straw that stirs the drink. 

Still, I suspect Ford is gone after this upcoming year, so I think it'll be important to have Bosa / AA / Buck together moving forward. 

Yea this was more of my line of thinking. Finding a young, promising but underperforming FA and bring him in with the hopes that he flourishes with the talent around him....much like AA. 

I'm just of the mindset that finding a very good 3rd DE was/is much more paramount than keeping the interior intact. 

32 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

SO let's keep our eyes open for a pass rusher in the later rounds in this draft

The likelihood of having a late round rookie come in be a difference maker on this defense is slim to none. With our SB window officially open, we need a somewhat proven commodity over long-term potential. I really wanted us to go hard after Robert Quinn. Don't think that happpens now...

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The likelihood of having a late round rookie come in be a difference maker on this defense is slim to none. With our SB window officially open, we need a somewhat proven commodity over long-term potential. I really wanted us to go hard after Robert Quinn. Don't think that happpens now...

People really slept on Robert Quinn. Outside of that bad year in Miami, his career has largely been solid and very productive when he's played. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Would love us to take a shot a Quinn, adding him to the rotation would be lights out IMO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Going to like this deal a lot less if Buck ends up getting shipped out. 

haha. I was just thinking about how much animosity a Buckner trade will create towards Armstead. Suck for AA, but nothing he can really do about it. Sounds to me like we aren't going to be able to afford to pay Buckner with him and Kittle coming up. They chose Kittle (for good reason) and could bring back Armstead and not completely blow up our DLine. I think Buck has tremendous value, so hopefully if it does happen we get a lot back for him. I remember reading we offered him a contract comparable to Fletcher Cox during the season and he turned it down. He's looking to cash in. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly depends on what we would get for Buck and especially what type of deal Buck will get.

Yeah, really depends on what we get. I'd much prefer to keep Buckner over Armstead, but if Buck gets turned into someone like Diggs+picks than I won't be too sad. 

really love Buckner though..sad. 

5 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

haha. I was just thinking about how much animosity a Buckner trade will create towards Armstead. Suck for AA, but nothing he can really do about it. Sounds to me like we aren't going to be able to afford to pay Buckner with him and Kittle coming up. They chose Kittle (for good reason) and could bring back Armstead and not completely blow up our DLine. I think Buck has tremendous value, so hopefully if it does happen we get a lot back for him. I remember reading we offered him a contract comparable to Fletcher Cox during the season and he turned it down. He's looking to cash in. 

AA has already been a disliked 49er for the wrong reasons lol. YOu're totally right about the animosity, which again, has nothing to do with him. 

Just now, John232 said:

Yeah, really depends on what we get. I'd much prefer to keep Buckner over Armstead, but if Buck gets turned into someone like Diggs+picks than I won't be too sad. 

really love Buckner though..sad. 

I have been a Armstead fan for years and am happy we kept him but Buckner is the better player for sure. However if Buckner gets more over 20 mil a year and we get say a guy like Diggs plus a highish pick i understand the process of the front office.