Jump to content

Raiders sign LB Nick Kwiatkoski (3 year deal, $21 M, $13.5. M gtd)


RaidersAreOne

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I doubt the team would sign Kwiatkowski, Littleton, and draft a linebacker in the first round. Linebacker is really only a two-man starting group.

Depends on the scheme. 

KVN and Collins saw 80%+ of snaps last season. Hightower 70%+. Bentley almost 30%, Roberts 20%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Depends on the scheme. 

KVN and Collins saw 80%+ of snaps last season. Hightower 70%+. Bentley almost 30%, Roberts 20%. 

Van Noy played edge for the Patriots and Collins did at times as well.

More importantly, the Raiders play 2 linebackers the vast majority of downs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Van Noy played edge for the Patriots and Collins did at times as well.

NE had 5 LBers that could play, clearly not the norm. But KVN was the only real edge player out of them (he’s been off-ball most of his career) and he still played all over. Hightower and Collins are better blitzers than they are edge rushers, and both can do some things in coverage. Bentley and Roberts are purely off-ball.

It’s always better to acquire talent and work around them than it is to just look for starters. A team with only two competent linebackers isn’t a set unit IMO, regardless of what type of fronts you like to use.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

NE had 5 LBers that could play, clearly not the norm. But KVN was the only real edge player out of them (he’s been off-ball most of his career) and he still played all over. Hightower and Collins are better blitzers than they are edge rushers, and both can do some things in coverage. Bentley and Roberts are purely off-ball.

It’s always better to acquire talent and work around them than it is to just look for starters. A team with only two competent linebackers isn’t a set unit IMO, regardless of what type of fronts you like to use.

Well, this is the Patriots scheme. They like to put two “linebackers” outside the tackles to contain the box. I suspect Collins has more snaps on the edge that he does stacked. Hightower is their purest stack linebacker. 

The Patriots prioritize spending money in the secondary over defensive line/linebacker. They’ll always be Van Noys and run stuffing tackles in free agency that can be had for cheap, it’s much tougher to find Gilmore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...