Is Nicholson the answer at Safety?

turtle28

pri

co

That brings us to Montae Nicholson. The rookie fourth-round pick should now be viewed as the future, alongside D.J. Swearinger. If both players pan out, the Redskins could have their safety tandem locked down for a few years. It’s way too early to know whether Nicholson can be that guy. He started in the Redskins’ nickel package Sunday, with Deshazor Everettplaying in base looks. Swearinger does appear to be a good solution, providing leadership and typically sound tackling.

Nicholson is 6 feet 2, 216 pounds and can run. He’s also smart, having majored in engineering at Michigan State. Had he not missed most of training camp while recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, he might be the full-time starter at safety. He did get hurt Sunday and is day-to-day with an AC joint sprain, but long term, Nicholson could fill a void.

It's not as if he was perfect in Sunday's win over the Rams. He wasn't. He'll also have to show he can cover one-on-one against tight ends. On Sunday he allowed the tight end to beat him to the outside, taking him away from any safety help. Nicholson had tried to keep him inside. He recovered to be close, but if the ball is thrown well it's a long completion. That's an easily correctable technique issue.

“He is a big, physical guy that can run, and we are excited about his prospects,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Monday. “Nothing against Everett; we are just trying to get him out there and get him some reps. We know how important that position is. The last couple years we have had a lot of injuries, so we are trying to get all our guys ready to play.

I saw some good things from him. He was the draft pick I was least happy about but he looked comfortable out there on Sunday. Now that was against Jared Goff so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Hopefully he continues to develop but it's too early to tell. We'll see (if plays) how he looks against a good QB in Carr.

Hard to say...He has barely practiced and went down with an injury in his first game. He did seem to get beat by the TEs on a few occasions, but tackled well and got home on a safety blitz. I'd like to see more and more of him so we can definitely say whether he could be a guy or is just a special teamer.

He was on Czabe's show today on ESPN980 and he was pretty impressive all the way around, very intelligent which explains how he could major in engineering. He really seemed like a hard worker and he really loved the game. He said he's been playing more SS and cover TEs and intermediate to flat routes rather than Free but he knows them both and the positions are interchangeable in our D at times.

He talked about loving to hit WRs and loving the physicality of playing the safety position. Then, he got in to the communication involved with playing safety and how he has to relay coverage calls to the other DBs & LBs. He doesn't do much of that now because Swearinger does it but he knows the calls.

One hilarious thing was when Czabe asked him about Gurley hurdling Breeland and another defender. Czabe asked if there was anything different Bree could have done because it looked like Bree went to tackle Gurley at the waste but he still hurdled over him. Nicholson said he didn't think there was anything different that Bree could have done because he was running full speed and in a split second was able to leap high enough to get over Bree who was lunging for Gurley's waste. He said sometimes things like that happen and that's why Gurley is considered one of the best running backs in the NFL.  

Nicholson reminds me so much of Jarrett. I got to see a lot of Kyshoen in college because I'm a Hokie fan and that's just who Nicholson reminds me of. I honestly kind of wonder if that's why the team drafted Nicholson in the first place? 

The safety position is so weird for this team and fanbase. We've basically spent the last ten years trying to replace the irreplaceable. Every time there's a glimmer of hope (Horton, Jarrett, Cravens) something goes wrong. Hopefully Nicholson can finally be an answer at a position this team has struggled to fill for so many years. 

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Nicholson reminds me so much of Jarrett. I got to see a lot of Kyshoen in college because I'm a Hokie fan and that's just who Nicholson reminds me of. I honestly kind of wonder if that's why the team drafted Nicholson in the first place? 

The safety position is so weird for this team and fanbase. We've basically spent the last ten years trying to replace the irreplaceable. Every time there's a glimmer of hope (Horton, Jarrett, Cravens) something goes wrong. Hopefully Nicholson can finally be an answer at a position this team has struggled to fill for so many years. 

The difference between Jarrett and Nicholson is size and potential. Jarrett was a good player and a cerebral player, but he was probably never going to be more than a back up and nickle/dime/slot player on a good secondary. Everyone loved Jarrett and rightly so, he was versatile, solid and had a lot of heart but he also wasn't an elite athlete.

Now Nicholson, he has elite traits to really develop into a good starter or maybe even a great starter. He's bigger and faster than Jarrett and seems to be just as cerebral. It remains to be seen what he develops into, but I think he has starter potential.

Yeah, the way we've treated the safety position since Sean died has sucked. We should have never passed on good players in the draft or passed on signing good free agents since 08 but we did, almost every year. I'll always say that franchising Davis instead of Landry in 2012 was a mistake - especially given the 2012 & 13 he had when his Achilles got healthy - also, we should have retained Atogwe in 2012, restructured his contract so he could stay or asked him to take a pay cut to stay instead of just cutting him.

I would have loved to see Atogwe & Landry as our starting S's in 2012 instead of Madieu Williams/Meriweather/for one game, Doughty and Gomes. It sucks not one of the safeties we drafted in the mid to late rounds in the last decade; Phillip Thomas, Dejon Gomes, Bacarri Rambo, Chris Horton & Kareem Moore never developed into a starter in the past decade. You'd think out of all of those bites at the Apple that one would have developed into a good starter. Most teams luck out in that regard with one mid to late round DB pick or a UDFA pick up every few years, but we never seem to except for Quinton Dunbar but he's not starter material.

Chris Horton was overrated by the fan base because he got lucky with a few turnovers in the first few games of his career. The reason he wasn't retained was because he basically had the coverage skills of a MLB. So, while he was solid vs the run and a good tackler, he was an extreme liability in coverage. Of course, so were most of the safeties we trotted out there from 2008-today.

16 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Man,he looked really good last night. I was just watching game highlights and he made 5 nice plays. Including a great show string tackle and being the guy to knock Lynch down on a gang tackle.  Dude is fast and hits hard!

Su'a who?

Archived