Is Nicholson the answer at Safety?

turtle28

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Not ever.

Depends on who's available. You just can't say never because every few years there are elite prospects at different positions and I think we'd be foolish to pass on elite S prospect if he's available for us in round 1 and we have a need there. 

For example, passing on Derwin James if he's the BPA when you select is stupid.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You claim I don't listen when you talk about the 3-4. Perhaps I don't; call it a blindspot of mine.

At the same time, you don't listen when we talk about BPA. You cannot make it a pure talent only decision. Need and positional value come into play. Regardless of how good Robert Aguayo could have been, you don't take a kicker in the 2nd round because the positional value dictates it to be only below punter and long snapper.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Depends on who's available. You just can't say never because every few years there are elite prospects at different positions and I think we'd be foolish to pass on elite S prospect if he's available for us in round 1 and we have a need there. 

Safeties are not worth first round picks.

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Disagree.  I think Sean Taylor would have been worth it.

You're singling out a HOF talent after the fact.  When you're in the draft process you have no idea how the players will turn out, and the typical safety just simply doesn't impact the game enough to justify a first round selection IMO.  

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You're singling out a HOF talent after the fact.  When you're in the draft process you have no idea how the players will turn out, and the typical safety just simply doesn't impact the game enough to justify a first round selection IMO.  

I get what you're saying.  But there's a risk of not knowing how a player will turn out at every position.  I would have taken Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, etc. too when they were prospects.  Jamaal Adams looks like a monster so far as well.  I'm a believer that the safety has to be a stud of the highest order to do it, but I would still take one in the 1st if they are BPA.  

Disagree.  I think Sean Taylor would have been worth it.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

You claim I don't listen when you talk about the 3-4. Perhaps I don't; call it a blindspot of mine.

At the same time, you don't listen when we talk about BPA. You cannot make it a pure talent only decision. Need and positional value come into play. Regardless of how good Robert Aguayo could have been, you don't take a kicker in the 2nd round because the positional value dictates it to be only below punter and long snapper.

I'm not, I said the need had to be there as well. I mean let's use the Redskins as an example, you don't take a guard @ 5 either even if he is great. I get positional value, but an elite FS can totally change a game and make opponents fear throwing the ball intermediate to deep. I wouldn't take a FS in round 1 for the Redskins next year as long as the young guys continue to progress bug I'm not going to take Ttd position off my board at this point and not scout them if I'm the GM, that's stupid.

I get what you're saying.  But there's a risk of not knowing how a player will turn out at every position.  I would take Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, etc. too.  Jamaal Adams looks like a monster so far as well.  I'm a believer that the safety has to be a stud of the highest order to do it, but I would still take one in the 1st if they are BPA.  

Look how our 4th round safety looked last night after we added some 1st and 2nd round pass rushers to the front 7.  

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I'm not, I said the need had to be there as well. I mean let's use the Redskins as an example, you don't take a guard @ 5 either even if he is great. I get positional value, but an elite FS can totally change a game and make opponents fear throwing the ball intermediate to deep. I wouldn't take a FS in round 1 for the Redskins next year as long as the young guys continue to progress bug I'm not going to take Ttd position off my board at this point and not scout them if I'm the GM, that's stupid.

QBs are impacted more by pressure than anything a FS can do.  

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I get what you're saying.  But there's a risk of not knowing how a player will turn out at every position.  I would take Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, etc. too.  Jamaal Adams looks like a monster so far as well.  I'm a believer that the safety has to be a stud of the highest order to do it, but I would still take one in the 1st if they are BPA.  

Earl Thomas, Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu, Roy Williams  too.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Look how our 4th round safety looked last night after we added some 1st and 2nd round pass rushers to the front 7.  

I know.  And I agree that the front 7 is more important.  I just don't think you pass on an Earl Thomas for a Brandon Graham (which is what the Eagles did) for example.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Did you ever watch ST's college film? It was clear he was going to be an elite talent in the NFL

Just now, MKnight82 said:

QBs are impacted more by pressure than anything a FS can do.  

I've never ever disagreed with that, ever but having an elite FS takes a good D and makes them great. See all the teams with elite FS's. See Ravens, Redskins when they had Reed & we had Taylor, and we didn't even have an good pass rush when Taylor was here.

Archived