FA KC

valkrei

16 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

1 year deals for Sherman and Pennel. Getting Pennel back is particularly exciting, to me. And nice to see our annual resigning of Sherman continues.

Was actually pretty worried about losing Pennel,  defense really turned a corner the moment he entered the rotation.  Excellent news 

• Like 3

I'm really happy for Pennel, and Sausage.  Pennel really helped or D come together.  I know there was plenty of other teams interested in him, glad he came back to us.  Truly hoping a few more guys, (looking at your Breeland) coming back now that big money contracts have slowed down.

• Like 1

You gotta love a guy whose only Mahomes TD was in the playoffs.

I agree with drafting a TE. If I read the tea leaves right, Yelder may be challenging the Sausage. If he goes to FB, then were are truly hard up for depth. It's a good draft for TE. We could go anywhere from 2nd round on. Kelce was at the top of the 3rd. Kittle was 5th. There is no need for a premium pick.

J

Some general thoughts about the current Chiefs free agency:

Chiefs have signed three new players: Remmers, Hamilton, and Ta'amu. They re-signed three as well: Henne, Sherman, and Pennel.

Henne got a cheap backup QB deal, Ta'amu probably entry level minimum. The other four signed veteran minimum benefit contracts @ 887,500$ cap hit (confirmed for Remmers and Hamilton, Sherman played on such a contract last year).  in cap ... not more.Such a deal costs the team about 200,000$ in cap, not more. So far, given the limited resources, I think they maxed it out.

The two elephants in the room:

Chris Jones and his tag block a considerable amount of cap space. It's an ace he has up his sleeve in negotiations with the team. My gut feeling is: The team won't trade him.
Sammy Watkins and his huge cap hit: I considered it automatic he'd be released immediately. But obviously the team has a different idea. Whether they hold out hope he could be traded - I don't think so. Most teams have spent their "big name" cap. I believe the team still tries to "bridge the gap" as Veach called it a while ago and get a new deal done. Here time is running against Watkins ...

Finally: The remaining Chiefs' FAs, especially Bashaud Breeland. Haven't heard as much as a blip on any of them. Well, the last tier 1 CBs just signed their deals, may be now teams are looking at tier 2 players. Or do the Chiefs have a pro forma agreement with Breeland somewhere they can't make official before they cleared cap space on Jones and/or Watkins?

The other players may have to wait until the second round of FA after the draft. Well, Ragland or Xavier Williams may get a call or two before. The others: don't really think so. 

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

@KC_Guy You think the Chiefs are waiting to designate Watkins a post-June 1 cut? I haven't looked into it, but what would that do for the cap?

As for Breeland, I hope that's exactly what is going on.

If they wanted to cut Watkins with a June 2 desig they could have done so since the start of the new league year. No, I think they are working to keep him.

As for Breeland (and others) - the current team and the SB win produce some serious gravitation towards Kansas City. Pennel very early stated he wants to stay - and accepted less money than other teams offered. I think I heard the same about Hamilton. Breeland may be the next case. It's always good to have a Lombardi on the cupboard - if you're able to credibly maintain a competitive team. I think that's part of the New England dynasty. They never had problems to get good veterans on board - who'd often leave after two or three years leaving a comp pick behind.

Edited by KC_Guy