FA KC

valkrei

Yeah, I dont think its much of a loss. Im still confused as to what our actual offseason strategy is though. Just hoping for someone to cough up compensation for Jones, Watkins and LDT? Our cap situation is unnecessarily horrific.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kempus said:

Yeah, I dont think its much of a loss. Im still confused as to what our actual offseason strategy is though. Just hoping for someone to cough up compensation for Jones, Watkins and LDT? Our cap situation is unnecessarily horrific.

Everything revolves around CJ.  Once we deal him or sign him we will see some action.

6 hours ago, kempus said:

Honestly I would normally be complaining...  

But Veach isn’t the energizer bunny right now and it’s a nice change of pace for how he usually operates.  He’s taking his time to see that we either get top value, or get the contracts right.

7 hours ago, kempus said:

I honestly think our plan is to do all we can to keep the core of the superbowl roster together. I don't think anyone we've lost so far was part of that core (Fuller, Ragland, Ogbah, or Bell), while the guys some of us thought we couldn't afford or would be cap casualties, we're trying desperately to make work because they were core elements of the superbowl run (Jones, Watkins.)

It also needs to be said, we went aggressively all-in on last year. It paid off, hugely, but some of the moves we made last year were not really long-term cap responsible kinds of moves. We shouldn't really have had the capital last year to get guys like Clark and Mathieu. Their base salaries last year, COMBINED, were about $1.6M. Last year was a full, screw the future, let's win now, kind of offseason. Eventually you have to have a year to pull back to offset that, and that's this year. We're not going to defer anything into the future right now, and that's the only way we could really make any moves at the moment. It's the right play, IMO.

4 hours ago, valkrei said:

Everything revolves around CJ.  Once we deal him or sign him we will see some action.

Probably true. I dont see the market being there for the picks we would want and the contract he wants. May have to wait until the draft.

3 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Honestly I would normally be complaining...  

But Veach isn’t the energizer bunny right now and it’s a nice change of pace for how he usually operates.  He’s taking his time to see that we either get top value, or get the contracts right.

The problem with this is that almost all impact FAs are gone. If we are content with what we have then fair enough. I dont see any market for Watkins or LDT, plus Jones doesnt seem to have much market atm. It may be better to just cut Watkins to be honest. Give us some flexibility to sign the likes of Breeland back.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I honestly think our plan is to do all we can to keep the core of the superbowl roster together. I don't think anyone we've lost so far was part of that core (Fuller, Ragland, Ogbah, or Bell), while the guys some of us thought we couldn't afford or would be cap casualties, we're trying desperately to make work because they were core elements of the superbowl run (Jones, Watkins.)

It also needs to be said, we went aggressively all-in on last year. It paid off, hugely, but some of the moves we made last year were not really long-term cap responsible kinds of moves. We shouldn't really have had the capital last year to get guys like Clark and Mathieu. Their base salaries last year, COMBINED, were about $1.6M. Last year was a full, screw the future, let's win now, kind of offseason. Eventually you have to have a year to pull back to offset that, and that's this year. We're not going to defer anything into the future right now, and that's the only way we could really make any moves at the moment. It's the right play, IMO.

Whilst theres obvious value in continuity, especially in an offseason like this one, if you arent improving, you're being left behind. Whilst thats a bit dramatic, we have not improved and other teams definitely have.

I agree, we shouldnt be spending big on anyone, but thats why I dont understand hanging onto Watkins. Even if we renegotiate his contract, is it going to be less than $14 mill per? Its an unnecessary investment imo. I am also against the idea of resigning Jones, even if its highly unlikely anyway. Having two $20 mill Dlinemen is not the way to build a sustainably good team, imo. We are damaging our ability to improve the team this season, where our SB window should still be fully wide open.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

The problem with this is that almost all impact FAs are gone. If we are content with what we have then fair enough. I dont see any market for Watkins or LDT, plus Jones doesnt seem to have much market atm. It may be better to just cut Watkins to be honest. Give us some flexibility to sign the likes of Breeland back.

55 minutes ago, kempus said:

Whilst theres obvious value in continuity, especially in an offseason like this one, if you arent improving, you're being left behind. Whilst thats a bit dramatic, we have not improved and other teams definitely have.

I agree, we shouldnt be spending big on anyone, but thats why I dont understand hanging onto Watkins. Even if we renegotiate his contract, is it going to be less than $14 mill per? Its an unnecessary investment imo. I am also against the idea of resigning Jones, even if its highly unlikely anyway. Having two $20 mill Dlinemen is not the way to build a sustainably good team, imo. We are damaging our ability to improve the team this season, where our SB window should still be fully wide open.

Honestly, look at the free agents signed so far, and find me $20M worth of them that will carry a greater impact than Chris Jones.

If we get rid of Jones (or Watkins, honestly), it's for long term cap flexibility and short term draft capital. It's not so we can blow that $20M on overpaid free agents on the market. That's not the way to build a sustainably good team either.

I personally thought we'd move on from Watkins. But not so we can use that $14M to sign high end free agents, but just so we can resign our own. I'd rather bring back Breeland and Robinson, for instance, than work the market.

Additionally, you called them impact FAs, that are gone. I would say the overpriced free agents are what is gone. You generally don't want to be in that early push for the big names. That's where you overpay and get over-negotiated. Get used to us not being in that period of free agency. We are not a team that is going to be throwing out $15M - $20M per in the early stages, and we will not be for likely the next decade, if we're doing things right.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

Probably true. I dont see the market being there for the picks we would want and the contract he wants. May have to wait until the draft.

I would rather loose him with less than he is worth then he sit out and then leave though.

There’s still players in FA that can fill roles for us.   

Alex Ogltree, Nigel Bradham, Brandon Carr, Tramaine Brock. Are just a few that would put up solid production.  Of course,  none of those guys would you sign without checking some physicals.

I can guarantee Veach isn’t sitting around doing nothing.  It’s a long offseason 

I'm just surprised we haven't cut Watkins. Sure, he was good in the superbowl, but absent for 80% of the regular season, and was giving weird answers about his future right before the superbowl. I'd rather cut him, spend the money on a starting LG, cheap vet WR, and acquire a few million in cap breathing room. Then just draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.

I do remember before the season the news was that Watkins looked unstoppable in camp. Maybe Veach just thinks Watkins is elite and we can't afford to lose him.

Edited by Kirill
  • Like 1