FA KC

valkrei

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, look at the free agents signed so far, and find me $20M worth of them that will carry a greater impact than Chris Jones.

If we get rid of Jones (or Watkins, honestly), it's for long term cap flexibility and short term draft capital. It's not so we can blow that $20M on overpaid free agents on the market. That's not the way to build a sustainably good team either.

I personally thought we'd move on from Watkins. But not so we can use that $14M to sign high end free agents, but just so we can resign our own. I'd rather bring back Breeland and Robinson, for instance, than work the market.

Additionally, you called them impact FAs, that are gone. I would say the overpriced free agents are what is gone. You generally don't want to be in that early push for the big names. That's where you overpay and get over-negotiated. Get used to us not being in that period of free agency. We are not a team that is going to be throwing out $15M - $20M per in the early stages, and we will not be for likely the next decade, if we're doing things right.

I think you're confusing what Im saying. Nowhere did I suggest we should have gone huge on FAs, however, the approach we have followed has taken us out of the market for literally every FA. Sitting on guys who may get no return (specifically Watkins), has removed all potential flexibility. 

We are in a bad situation with Jones, imo. I highly doubt we resign him. I dont think the market is there for him and I dont think he plays on the tag. Impossible to speculate if there has been interest in him or not, but I wouldnt be shocked if there hasnt been a huge amount. Teams know we are in a tough position.

4 hours ago, kempus said:

I think you're confusing what Im saying. Nowhere did I suggest we should have gone huge on FAs, however, the approach we have followed has taken us out of the market for literally every FA. Sitting on guys who may get no return (specifically Watkins), has removed all potential flexibility. 

We are in a bad situation with Jones, imo. I highly doubt we resign him. I dont think the market is there for him and I dont think he plays on the tag. Impossible to speculate if there has been interest in him or not, but I wouldnt be shocked if there hasnt been a huge amount. Teams know we are in a tough position.

You said almost all impact FAs are gone. There's a crap ton of free agents still out there, so I was only able to assume you meant the top dollar, insta-sign type of guys.

I think you're just grossly exaggerating how many guys have been signed so far.

Additionally, if we want to sign someone, we will. We can cut Watkins whenever. But you're not going to do that unless you see someone more valuable for that $14M.

We have an easy $14M of flexibility. We can sign someone if we want to. There are plenty of free agents still out there. You're exaggerating a lot here.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

You said almost all impact FAs are gone. There's a crap ton of free agents still out there, so I was only able to assume you meant the top dollar, insta-sign type of guys.

I think you're just grossly exaggerating how many guys have been signed so far.

Additionally, if we want to sign someone, we will. We can cut Watkins whenever. But you're not going to do that unless you see someone more valuable for that $14M.

We have an easy $14M of flexibility. We can sign someone if we want to. There are plenty of free agents still out there. You're exaggerating a lot here.

All of the top guys and probably mid tier too are gone. If you're happy to scrape the barrel for starters at CB, ILB and OG then cool. We could have already secured starters at CB and ILB if we had already got rid of Watkins. We are already over the cap, we literally have to move something before the draft. We could have cut Watkins and not kicked another $5mill of Clarks contract down the road. 

Exaggerating what exactly? That we currently have no cap? Zero flexibility without making a move we could and maybe should have already executed? Have not improved whilst others around us have? 

Listen, we are SB champs, so I trust the FO, but that doesnt mean I understand what they are doing. 

8 hours ago, samsel23 said:

There’s still players in FA that can fill roles for us.   
Alex Ogltree, Nigel Bradham, Brandon Carr, Tramaine Brock. Are just a few that would put up solid production.  Of course,  none of those guys would you sign without checking some physicals.

I can guarantee Veach isn’t sitting around doing nothing.  It’s a long offseason 

Brandon Carr, as in 5th round 2008 Brandon Carr. I ask to get a gauge on what you would expect from "solid production".

J

44 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Brandon Carr, as in 5th round 2008 Brandon Carr. I ask to get a gauge on what you would expect from "solid production".

J

A solid #3/#4 CB that can start in a pinch.   He’s still putting up above average play at his age and would give us a veteran guy in the CB group.    Breeland/Ward/Rookie/Carr/Fenton is a solid group 

Edited by samsel23

5 hours ago, samsel23 said:

A solid #3/#4 CB that can start in a pinch.   He’s still putting up above average play at his age and would give us a veteran guy in the CB group.    Breeland/Ward/Rookie/Carr/Fenton is a solid group 

I remember Carr from his time with the Chiefs. He was part of the great draft that also brought Dorsey, Albert, Flowers and JC. The point is 2008. In DB years, he's nearly as old as Tom Brady.

J

Chiefs keeping Robinson.  Makes not cutting Watkins even more interesting.

In terms of what Kempus is saying.  We've made zero moves to improve a defense that ended the season playing well, but not great.  While Pennel was a big factor in that, down the stretch Ragland certainly helped the run D and Fuller playing a variety of roles allowed Mathieu to be more fluid in his role.  Those are losses.

In return, and I understand we won't hear everything, we haven't retooled, and while I hope our draft and UDFA come in and dominate,  our starting corners right now are Fenton and Ward...a lot of people are referring to Breeland as ours, and while I'm hopeful because he gets what we're doing, I can't count on that.

9 hours ago, kempus said:

All of the top guys and probably mid tier too are gone. If you're happy to scrape the barrel for starters at CB, ILB and OG then cool. We could have already secured starters at CB and ILB if we had already got rid of Watkins. We are already over the cap, we literally have to move something before the draft. We could have cut Watkins and not kicked another $5mill of Clarks contract down the road. 

Exaggerating what exactly? That we currently have no cap? Zero flexibility without making a move we could and maybe should have already executed? Have not improved whilst others around us have? 

Listen, we are SB champs, so I trust the FO, but that doesnt mean I understand what they are doing. 

You're exaggerating how many guys worth signing are off the market, and exaggerating how much we need to or should have done that we've missed out on. There's still the draft. We still have Hitchens/Nieman/Wilson, who was our LB corp for the entire playoff run. We still have Ward and Fenton at CB, really only need one guy there (keep in mind, Mathieu plays slot in DB heavy formations), and there are plenty left. We never needed to make a big play in free agency.

We're not some team that needs to desperately throw around all the money we have on high end free agents. I don't really know what you expected this offseason, but it isn't what anyone else did. This is exactly what anyone reasonable figured we'd do. Keep as many of our guys as we can, and prep to extend Mahomes and possibly Jones.

Bringing DRob back, in my opinion, has as much to do with "keeping the band together" more than what production he offers although he's a solid 3/4 WR. Good on ST and blocking.

Same reason we keep Dieter around too I think. He seems to be popular amongst the core group of guys, especially Mahomes.

• Like 1

I think you underestimate what Robinson brought to the team. He was fourth in receptions and third on the team in TD. With Hardman maturing, that may slip a bit, but he's still a solid WR. Also, consider how much time has been lost to injuries. Hill was out when Robinson had a 6 reception, 172 yard, 2 TD game against the Raiders. This guy can start for half the league and would be WR1 for at least a couple.

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

I think you underestimate what Robinson brought to the team. He was fourth in receptions and third on the team in TD. With Hardman maturing, that may slip a bit, but he's still a solid WR. Also, consider how much time has been lost to injuries. Hill was out when Robinson had a 6 reception, 172 yard, 2 TD game against the Raiders. This guy can start for half the league and would be WR1 for at least a couple.

J

Well I mean Mahomes has gotta throw it to somebody right?