Baltimore trades TE Hayden Hurst to Atlanta

BareYourTeeth

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Getting 55 instead of 47 low key blows but whatev

Would obviously rather have #47, but eight slots back is still fine. Still our second highest pick in the draft.

Will be interesting to see how we think about moving down if there's a scenario in which we have 5 - 10 guys we see as pretty much equals when #28 rolls around (and any specific pre-draft targets are gone). We have nine picks now, seven of which are in rounds 1 - 4. I don't think we have room for 10+ draftees. Any move back, were it to be the move, should look to accumulate 2021 picks I would think.

Alternatively, we could be poised to move up toward the middle part of the 1st if there's a guy we absolutely love.

2 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

That's where I'm at. It's obvious Roman couldn't get his head around taking Boyle's blocking ability off the field for Hayden's receiving ability. So getting a 2nd, even a lesser one, is fine at the end of the day. Can still be used as ammo for a trade or a net to catch a falling player. 

I think Ricard is part of this calculation as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I think Ricard is part of this calculation as well. 

I think he was considered the 4th tight end/direct backup to Boyle already last year. At least that makes sense.

Will have to see what I can find on the tight ends Ravens have on the roster, and have to dig in at the position in the draft. None of them really looked all that interesting, so I guess if really will be a backup type of player we are looking for. To me it makes little sense trading Hurst and then taking a chance on a new tight end with a 2/3 round pick

Just now, sp6488 said:

I think we could very well draft a TE in the middle rounds if there's good value to it.

Maybe, but this TE class sucks and we have real needs at WR, S, IOL, DI, LB, and EDGE. We'll probably take a CB too.

Only so many picks, and especially if we start swinging trades - TE won't be high on the priority list with what ammo we do have imo.

12 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Maybe, but this TE class sucks and we have real needs at WR, S, IOL, DI, LB, and EDGE. We'll probably take a CB too.

Only so many picks, and especially if we start swinging trades - TE won't be high on the priority list with what ammo we do have imo.

Think about it if we don't get Jimmy Smith or Brandon Carr back. Then we are suddenly thin at CB as well.

Darnay Holmes, Trajan Bandy, Amik Robertson are some options for the slot position

2 hours ago, Danand said:

What are your reasoning for calling him a locker room cancer? We have heard nothing about that, and a guy saying he wants more targets, that is pretty comong for pass catchers.

Saying he was going to be a problem is just guessing. I hope he can be so easily replaced as some here think, but we will still have to invest to get similar level of play - most likely without the upside of big play ability that Hurst had.

Never called him a cancer. Said “on his way” to becoming.

Reasoning being is he was becoming more and more vocal and less and less happy with his role as the season went on. You could call it guessing, sure, but I call it perceptively picking up on social cues. Many in law enforcement, sales, and social fields are trained in behaviorism. Reading body language, analyzing speech patterns to search for aggression; so sure I was only “guessing”, but much of what goes on in this site is making educated guesses based off of a specific scope of information. This is why I predicted had we not moved Hurst, he would go from great teammate to cancer. For a championship caliber team, you don’t want guys complaining about touches. You want them all coalescing towards one goal, no matter what it takes.

You don’t loudly protest in a playoff game, “give me the ball” because you’re happy about your targets or your station on the team. Many might confuse this for pure passion? But in that case he could’ve easily yelled, “they can’t stop me” which would be an anti-defensive statement, but instead he chose to say “give ME the ball” which is a comment rooted in selfish motivations vs anti-defensive sentiments.

It’s one thing to say these kinds of things behind the scenes, there’s another to say it in front of the cameras. Do you somehow think once the mainstream media gets ahold of the next level of that behavior that it’s somehow going to be sunshine and roses? No. It’s going to cause discord in the locker room, which isn’t to say it can’t be overcome as the 2012 team had the “mutiny” but then again Bernard Pollard still hasn’t gotten over those circumstances.

Perhaps the other thing here is that perhaps you view a cancer as ONLY some Terrell Owens or Antonio Brown type of figure, a player who is CLEARLY destroying the locker room; while I view it as any player that pollutes the culture on a notable scale. I see it as existing on a spectrum.

Outside of that playoff game, there has been no indication that Hurst was on his way to becoming a cancer or just a presence that would destroy the locker room. We can look at the Vikings situation with Diggs/Cousins - that looked more like a potential problem in the locker room than Hurst saying he wanted more touches. However he framed it, I think it is too much to say that because he said "me", that he was on his way to become an issue.

I know a lot of you loved Hurst, but I never warmed to him (probably due to a combination of hating where we drafted him and the fact that he couldn't produce at a 1st round pick level (even if that wasn't entirely his fault)).

I think we got a great haul for him, and can like 80% of his 3rd TE role with a cheap vet or later round draft pick. 

Also means that we won't have to deal with any animosity he might have developed over being outshone by a later round pick from his same draft class

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I think we could very well draft a TE in the middle rounds if there's good value to it.

I don't think there will be good value at TE in this draft; it's not a good class. I believe this helped the value we got for Hurst. 

I think it'd be a lot easier to plug a big WR in the slot and stick with the guys we have for in-line play.

26 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Can always add a Vet cut. FA just started and there'll be more guys available when rosters get cut down during summer.

Can't see a draft pick spent on TE now.

I disagree. I'm not saying the team would force it, but there's absolutely value in bringing in a TE on a rookie deal through the 2023 season. The draft has never been exclusively about the next year's roster. The way DeCosta is approaching things makes me think he's lining up contracts for the world in which Lamar is being paid something approaching market rate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't think there will be good value at TE in this draft; it's not a good class. I believe this helped the value we got for Hurst. 

I think it'd be a lot easier to plug a big WR in the slot and stick with the guys we have for in-line play.

And if it's not there, then maybe they don't draft one. And even if that's true at a macro sense, there's still the possibility that an individual player could represent a value at the time he's picked.

I'm surprised the Ravens were able to get a second round pick for Hurst. Like I said in my post a few weeks ago I thought maybe a 4th round pick was where his value was at given his lack of production (though Andrews and Boyle didn't help) and durability concerns the first two years. Looks like the weak draft class and free agent market helped Baltimore out though.

This is a great trade, especially if it nudges the offense in a more aggressive downfield direction. Draft a rookie in the later rounds or sign a veteran to a minimum contract to replace Hurst. Let the offense open up a bit and don't rely on the tight ends so much. Spend cap dollars elsewhere. Andrews isn't the most durable guy and Boyle has one failed drug test to go before a year suspension but two good tight ends is still a lot regardless. DeCosta is a beast.