Baltimore trades TE Hayden Hurst to Atlanta

BareYourTeeth

Just now, berlin calling said:

hmm. Not feeling this tbh but i gotta trust in EDC.

Would have wanted him to be part of the offense, no need to trade away assets when you have a SB window of 2-3 years.

Glad for HH though, as stated above he's gonna put up insane nos in ATL.

Hopefully Mandrews stays healthy or this could be a really bad decision in hindsight.

Not really. Hurst was on his way to becoming a locker room “cancer”. With each season he’s talked more and more about not being happy with his role. After year one it was more of a challenge (I will work harder so I can get opportunities), but after this season he’s much more frustrated, if we had gone another season with providing him similar target shares... or we used him more but not up to his expectations of being a star option... he was going to have a problem. He’s an overaged prospect that is moreso on a RB trajectory. As opposed to two big contracts to make his money he’s relying on his rookie years to audition for a huge deal. He was never going to get that from Baltimore because of Andrews presence.

This deal doesn’t mean we can’t add a quality TE in the draft that can do some of the things Hurst brings to the table. Josiah Deguara being someone Ive scouted with a similar skillset and nice hands, probably superior feel in zone spacing. We can easily bring in a TE in the mid rounds who gets us 200-300 yds and they would be well satisfied with their role because their living out their dream to play NFL ball. Hurst was a good teammate and a good competitor, but he’s not in a position to play it quiet and not speak up and I understand that. He deserves to get an opportunity to “be the guy” and down the line make a record contract.

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So what's the trade up for a guy like Jeudy look like. Would it need to be 28+47+60 to get into the low teens or wherever we'd be trying to move to? 

Steelers traded 20, 52 and a 2020 3rd to go from 20 to 10. So it'd have to be more probably.

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don’t want to stop using multiple TEs. Big reason this offense is so hard to defend is all the speed at the skill positions with big personnel. 

Yeah I don't think they're going to want to completely get away from using the multiple TE sets even if I suspect EDC's plan is to get significantly enough better at WR this offseason that the offense does change/evolve in that direction. Guys like Nick Vannett and Jacob Hollister (though he may end up being too expensive) would make sense as FA targets. 

I loved our 3 TE package, but I think it was more of a luxury than necessity. I anticipate Lamar will improve throwing outside the numbers and downfield to WRs.  

I'm fine with drafting another TE as an understudy, we can slowly mix him in the game and hopefully when Boyle/Andrews contracts are up he can step up. We should definitely carry 3 TEs on the roster, though. 

5 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So what's the trade up for a guy like Jeudy look like. Would it need to be 28+47+60 to get into the low teens or wherever we'd be trying to move to? 

Depends where he gets drafted. Let's assume like most mocks are saying. He's picked in the 10-15 range. We could get away with 28, 47, 106 according to the Value chart. 

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Really hope Mark and Nick stay healthy now....

Hayden was the luxury of luxuries 🤷🏻‍♂️ hope we make that 2nd count. Because our recent draft history when it comes to 2nds leaves a lot to be desired 😕

I kinda hope we trade it for a player or part of a package if we're being honest.

11 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not really. Hurst was on his way to becoming a locker room “cancer”. With each season he’s talked more and more about not being happy with his role. After year one it was more of a challenge (I will work harder so I can get opportunities), but after this season he’s much more frustrated, if we had gone another season with providing him similar target shares... or we used him more but not up to his expectations of being a star option... he was going to have a problem. He’s an overaged prospect that is moreso on a RB trajectory. As opposed to two big contracts to make his money he’s relying on his rookie years to audition for a huge deal. He was never going to get that from Baltimore because of Andrews presence.

This deal doesn’t mean we can’t add a quality TE in the draft that can do some of the things Hurst brings to the table. Josiah Deguara being someone Ive scouted with a similar skillset and nice hands, probably superior feel in zone spacing. We can easily bring in a TE in the mid rounds who gets us 200-300 yds and they would be well satisfied with their role because their living out their dream to play NFL ball. Hurst was a good teammate and a good competitor, but he’s not in a position to play it quiet and not speak up and I understand that. He deserves to get an opportunity to “be the guy” and down the line make a record contract.

What are your reasoning for calling him a locker room cancer? We have heard nothing about that, and a guy saying he wants more targets, that is pretty comong for pass catchers.

Saying he was going to be a problem is just guessing. I hope he can be so easily replaced as some here think, but we will still have to invest to get similar level of play - most likely without the upside of big play ability that Hurst had.

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Really hope Mark and Nick stay healthy now....

Hayden was the luxury of luxuries 🤷🏻‍♂️ hope we make that 2nd count. Because our recent draft history when it comes to 2nds leaves a lot to be desired 😕

Our last two 2nd round picks became a unanimous MVP quarterback

... so we just need to use them to move UP :)